ADVERTISEMENT

Football Should Pitt / PSU bring back their series? Narduzzi chimed in.

That game is too big for Narduzzi.

The last time we played them Narduzzi made one of the stupidest coaching decisions I’ve ever seen.

(FG attempt at the end of the game)

Reactions: MacNit07
Nardicki keeps bringing it up because he and the AD know they need the pub and revenue. Can’t even fill up their stadium for a conference game with Clemson so they need all of the Penn State fans to come to a game so their athletic department can raise the prices to try to make additional revenue.

Treat them with the same respect as Ball State, Kent State, Diectional Michigan, Akron, Delaware, and Duquesne. All games at PSU.
And just so people don't think this is anti-Pitt. Same should be true for half of P5 schools. Syracuse BC WVU etc. If they're willing go do 4-1 maybe consider it. There's no incentive to play that level of program.

Poconos... Lol... Great place for a youth church camp. Seriously, Pitt should seek refuge in the MAC. That is where the program belongs.
The program that’s won more games than Penn State the previous three seasons? In that case, where does PSU belong?

Put me in the minority as I would like to see the series back on. PSU/Pitt was one of the greatest CFB rivalries in the 70s and early 80s. I get the argument it’s not helping us to play Pitt since they have nothing to lose and they win even in losing, but that makes us look scared of losing. We absolutely dominated and humiliated Pitt the last time we played there so we should want to do that again. We really don’t have a true rival so let Nardouche talk smack and have CJF say playing Pitt is like playing a MAC team. Let’s get it on!
The Pitt/PSU series ended when Pitt voted against Paterno’s proposed all sports conference because they didn’t want to give up the money they were making in the then lucrative Big East basketball conference but wanted to get the big pay day when they played PSU in football every other year at Beaver Stadium. Pitt acted solely in its self-interest then. There is absolutely NO benefit for PSU to play Pitt in football; it would only benefit Pitt. PSU proposed a 2 for 1 series with Pitt a few years back and they claimed that was “insulting”. My response to Pitt would be to hold up my middle three fingers and tell Narducci to read between the lines.

Reactions: Sullivan
The program that’s won more games than Penn State the previous three seasons? In that case, where does PSU belong?
You know thats not how value is determined, right?
I give Narduzzi a lot of credit for what he's done at Pitt but Pitt, like many teams, are in trouble. They should jump on board with breaking the TV contract and go to the Big XII with 5-7 other schools.

Put me in the minority as I would like to see the series back on. PSU/Pitt was one of the greatest CFB rivalries in the 70s and early 80s. I get the argument it’s not helping us to play Pitt since they have nothing to lose and they win even in losing, but that makes us look scared of losing. We absolutely dominated and humiliated Pitt the last time we played there so we should want to do that again. We really don’t have a true rival so let Nardouche talk smack and have CJF say playing Pitt is like playing a MAC team. Let’s get it on!
I want this series to happen every year. I think it is good for both schools.

PSU doesn't play in the little league.
A simpleton would understand that the big league conferences don't want teams that have no following and get their record playing in front of 13,000 fans and add no TV audience to the conference...

You are, in total, what you are. Get over it.

You know thats not how value is determined, right?
I give Narduzzi a lot of credit for what he's done at Pitt but Pitt, like many teams, are in trouble. They should jump on board with breaking the TV contract and go to the Big XII with 5-7 other schools.
I know, I know. I’m just playing along.

I’ve said it on here before, but as a Kansas City resident I would be just fine with them joining the Big 12. The rest of the fanbase… not so much. :oops:

Edit: I do think the ACC will be fine with the additions of Cal, SMU, and Stanford, though. It’ll help soften the blow whenever Clemson, Florida State, and whoever else (inevitably) leave.

I’ve said it on here before, but as a Kansas City resident I would be just fine with them joining the Big 12. The rest of the fanbase… not so much. :oops:

Edit: I do think the ACC will be fine with the additions of Cal, SMU, and Stanford, though. It’ll help soften the blow whenever Clemson, Florida State, and whoever else (inevitably) leave.
I still think if UNC and company leave then only 6-8 schools from the ACC survive by joining the Big XII but we'll see--that probably won't happen for 18-36 months

Good thinking.....maybe the 2 cults in Clemson and ND will stay in the ACC... you never know.

Our future schedules include Bowling Green, Temple, Villanova, Kent State, and Delaware. We don't need to add another similar team like pitt. Let's beef up the schedule a bit instead of playing OOC creampuffs.
Why? You do what gives you the best chance to get in the playoffs, not what’s best for fan interest.

I still think if UNC and company leave then only 6-8 schools from the ACC survive by joining the Big XII but we'll see--that probably won't happen for 18-36 months
Good thinking.....maybe the 2 cults in Clemson and ND will stay in the ACC... you never know.
I believe that if Clemson and FSU are the only ones who bolt and we expand with the three mentioned above, ESPN won’t renegotiate our contract running through 2036. In that case, we’d be the clear third-highest-grossing conference behind the Big Ten and SEC.

That would put us in position to poach from the Big 12 the next time their media comes up in 2030, potentially targeting the “four corner” Pac-12 schools to become a truly nationwide conference. Perhaps we look at UCF and one or two others as well. Maybe that’s the optimist in me… we’ll see what happens.

I believe that if Clemson and FSU are the only ones who bolt and we expand with the three mentioned above, ESPN won’t renegotiate our contract running through 2036. In that case, we’d be the clear third-highest-grossing conference behind the Big Ten and SEC.

That would put us in position to poach from the Big 12 the next time their media comes up in 2030, potentially targeting the “four corner” Pac-12 schools to become a truly nationwide conference. Perhaps we look at UCF and one or two others as well. Maybe that’s the optimist in me… we’ll see what happens.
Definitely you being optimistic IMO but time will tell. UNC wants out more than anyone but just aren't as vocal about it so far.

If and that's a big if, it should be at least 2 of 3 games Beaver Stadium or even 3 of 4. No need to support Pitt football. Pitt makes their fans buy tickets for their less entertaining home games just to be able to buy a ticket to see Penn State kick beat them like a rented mule. Hell even when we did play at Pitt the PSU fans outnumbers Pitt fans 2:1. Remember if you can't get into college go to Pitt......

Reactions: joeaubie21
If and that's a big if, it should be at least 2 of 3 games Beaver Stadium or even 3 of 4. No need to support Pitt football. Pitt makes their fans buy tickets for their less entertaining home games just to be able to buy a ticket to see Penn State kick beat them like a rented mule. Hell even when we did play at Pitt the PSU fans outnumbers Pitt fans 2:1. Remember if you can't get into college go to Pitt......
However, no Pitt.

I should’ve put my post in purple text because the idea of playing a football game in the Poconos was made in jest.

On a serious note, I’d imagine Penn State was OK with the scheduling arrangement considering they agreed to it. Respectfully, New Beaver Field/Beaver Stadium had a much smaller capacity and playing the games in Pittsburgh made more sense. It’s the same reason why we’d move games to 3RS for TV purposes before Pitt Stadium had lights installed.
Perhaps…then turn about is fair play…our stadium is 50% larger than Heinz Field.

This is an entertaining topic. Both schools seem to be doing well in their current situations. I suspect that Pitt wants to recruit the state better and that was why Duzzi responded that way. I wouldnt want PSU to be locked into a home and away situation with them either, and I wouldnt expect them to give up a home game in exchange for an additional away game.. They should focus their sites on upgrading their program to make themselves an attractive school for the Big Ten to add. Their focus should be internal.

Perhaps…then turn about is fair play…our stadium is 50% larger than Heinz Field.
That’s true, but I don’t think that same argument applies today because TV now generates more revenue than gate attendance. Decisions come and go with the times.

Boring. If Penn State doesn’t want to play in Pittsburgh, we need to find an equivalent for the Battle at Bristol that Tennessee and Virginia Tech did a few years ago. Poconos might be too big, though… it’s a shame because that’d make for a fun weekend getaway.
Exactly. Let's so a game with Cincinatti in Pittsburgh...or Kentucky...a nearby team but not that nearby.

Or why not Tennessee? :) (But I'd rather have a home/home with them....)

Exactly. Let's so a game with Cincinatti in Pittsburgh...or Kentucky...a nearby team but not that nearby.

Or why not Tennessee? :) (But I'd rather have a home/home with them....)
The Penn State fan base would LOVE a home/home with Tennessee. Our game in Knoxville was incredible and the return trip in Pittsburgh was also very fun. I hope we get more SEC teams on our schedule moving forward.

Go back and check history- PSU held 32,000 and Pitt held 56,500.
PSU asked PITT to play a PSU home game in Pittsburgh to gain more revenue. Pitt actually let PSU use their facility to gain more revenue. That is why there is an imbalance in where games where played.
So now that the tables are flipped, will Pitt want to play their home games in the Beave?

This is an entertaining topic. Both schools seem to be doing well in their current situations. I suspect that Pitt wants to recruit the state better and that was why Duzzi responded that way. I wouldnt want PSU to be locked into a home and away situation with them either, and I wouldnt expect them to give up a home game in exchange for an additional away game.. They should focus their sites on upgrading their program to make themselves an attractive school for the Big Ten to add. Their focus should be internal.
If Pitt doesn’t want to give up an extra home game, then stop with the annual whining about PSU not playing them.

PSU asked PITT to play a PSU home game in Pittsburgh to gain more revenue. Pitt actually let PSU use their facility to gain more revenue. That is why there is an imbalance in where games where played.
Correct but that was then and this is now. The tables are reversed so Pitt needs to suck it up and accept a 2 for 1 at the Beav or stop whining

Reactions: bison13
Correct but that was then and this is now. The tables are reversed so Pitt needs to suck it up and accept a 2 for 1 at the Beav or stop whining
Let’s both be objective here for a second. Why would any ACC or Big 12 school accept a 2-1 with a Big Ten/SEC school? It just won’t happen because it doesn’t make sense for either side.

The game is dead because Penn State wants more home games and Pitt isn’t willing to give any of our’s up. It is what it is. I imagine 2019 was the last time we’ll ever play in football with the exception of an unlikely postseason meeting.

I don’t think there’s enough upgrading we could do to get a Big Ten invite, short of having an Alabama-type run. We’ve already done a great job getting to the point where we’re a perennial Top 25 team, even won a conference championship. Unfortunately, a lot of that stuff doesn’t make a difference in realignment when considering macro-level factors (geographic location, alumni base, TV ratings, etc).

Hmmm, bear with me as I have not thought this through ...
What if every other game is a home game for Penn State and the intervening games are "home games" for Pitt that are played in Beaver Stadium. Penn State season tickets don't apply - treat it as if it's an away game. Pitt can set the prices and get the gate but Penn State will man and receive the concessions and parking revenue. Pitt will probably make more money than their typical home game and State College merchants will also benefit. Would such an arrangement work for both sides?

Now the Beav holds 106,000 and and their rent-a-stadium is what ~60,000? so we should play all games in State College to help Pitt out with the extra revenue from a larger facility.

I don’t think there’s enough upgrading we could do to get a Big Ten invite, short of having an Alabama-type run. We’ve already done a great job getting to the point where we’re a perennial Top 25 team, even won a conference championship. Unfortunately, a lot of that stuff doesn’t make a difference in realignment when considering macro-level factors (geographic location, alumni base, TV ratings, etc).
But they still can’t sell out other than ND, WVU, or PSU. Even the No1 rated Clemson game didn’t sell out.

Why should we sell tickets for them?

Why give them a full stadium to impress recruits?

Why help finance their athletic department?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT