ADVERTISEMENT

Should Penn State try seven O linemen and two tight ends on some running plays?

PA college fan

Jun 26, 2001
Not a steady diet, but now and then to wake up a stagnant run game against OSU. Sure worked for Illinois and Brent Pry made no adjustments that I saw in stadium.

Reactions: Virginia Joe
Didn't PSU employ something similar last year with Levis when Ciarrocca was offensive coordinator?

Not a steady diet, but now and then to wake up a stagnant run game against OSU. Sure worked for Illinois and Brent Pry made no adjustments that I saw in stadium.

I can think of about five teams in the next five weeks that might use the Illinois game plan against us. Wonder if we’ll be prepared to make any adjustments before Thanksgiving…..?

I can think of about five teams in the next five weeks that might use the Illinois game plan against us. Wonder if we’ll be prepared to make any adjustments before Thanksgiving…..?
I believe that Illinois gained 94 yds total offense in their prior game where they got hammered by Wisconsin - the team that we beat in week one.

Bumpkin from Toon Town… should have been let go 6 years ago.
I agree. This year though the secondary is lights out. The LBs show flashes of playing well. The DL has had their moments, but bad overall.

Not doing anything to adjust to the ILL attack was awful.

This team is a mess.

Please elaborate. I hope you’re with me that 350 on the ground, while it looks bad, didn’t in and of itself call for a radical change.
When it allows the other team to have the ball for 36 minutes it hurts and something should have been done to stop it. Halftime are for adjustments right?

Please elaborate. I hope you’re with me that 350 on the ground, while it looks bad, didn’t in and of itself call for a radical change.
All I was saying is that 10 points in 60 minutes is only part of the story.

Here are other stats which usually factor in; time of possession, total plays, first downs, third down efficiency and field position. Look at those stats and perhaps you might agree that they contributed to a less talented team staying in the ballgame.

I don't know what radical change you're referring to. I think Franklin should stay and as to the 9 man line, I don't know enough about X's and O's to come to any conclusion as to what Pry should have done initially. He didn't do much of anything for the first half and perhaps into the fourth quarter.

Teams crowd and overload the line of scrimmage all the time to stop the run. We never did. If we had slowed their running game at all, we would have had several more opportunities on offense.

Reactions: Phoenix lion
And to create an entirely different package on the fly when we don’t have any significant depth experience at DL & LB, which is what many of you are implying we should have heavied up on, was likely to have limited Illinois to fewer than 10 points? The offense did nothing outside of two plays, one of which was basically a successful Hail Mary. Selling out to create a better looking rushing yards allowed stat was likely gonna come at a price.

Coach says turnovers and big plays win games. He must have felt that the runs they were getting weren’t quite at the key threshold, and that our O was only one big play from winning. Well, that didn’t happen. We certainly got the TOs.

When it allows the other team to have the ball for 36 minutes it hurts and something should have been done to stop it. Halftime are for adjustments right?
The PSU offense was not having any success. Illinois yardage and time of possession were not the major factors in the loss. Not having a running game, and an injured QB who could not run and was struggling passing were.

doesn't matter. Everyone's Golden Boy Seider has backs that are to slow to hit any hole.

doesn't matter. Everyone's Golden Boy Seider has backs that are to slow to hit any hole.
Yep. And on short yardage, insist on dancing instead of putting their heads down, running full speed forward, and making their own holes.

That’s the way we USED to play football in the old days.

There HAS to be some old school fullback out there somewhere like Whitman or Milne who know how to make their own holes???? The guys we have now at RB run soft, and look like they’ve spent their years at Penn State loading up on desserts at the nearest Golden Corral buffet. Slowest group of so called “skill” backs I can remember.

And field position. It didn't score many points but it sure made a difference in the outcome.

While the OL is getting majority of the heat for our lack of a run game (as it should), our RB’s aren’t exactly helping to neutralize this deficiency. In every game, there’s been numerous runs where a lane or crease has opened up, but our guys are just not accelerating into these creases. Every run seems tentative and just not seeing those extra yards after contact (which 21 did so well his freshman year).

Do we have seven offensive linemen we would want to use?
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT