ADVERTISEMENT

Should Be Banned For Life

Disgraceful. One year ban, Anger management, counseling, community service and no more strikes. Without seeing the young mans current record of behavior.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
He could always go to Iowa?
Tough sentence there. Inmates fight,shoot, and face mush each other. Seen guys come out of there with missing knee ligaments, bad shoulders, mullets. Brutal yard fights decided on stalling calls. Sentenced to 4 yrs and still there 5,6,7 yrs later. The guards are harmless little guys though. Maybe give the kid a second chance. Sentence him to Rutger first

That’s assault (@tikk10 to confirm) and should be treated as such.
Battery actually, but definitely criminal. Assault is when you intentionally cause fear or apprehension; battery is when you actually connect and cause injury. In some jurisdictions the definitions blend and I don't know what Illinois law is but I imagine we'll find out soon.

There's precedent in hockey for on-ice incidents that jumped the shark from competition to criminal, most memorably Todd Bertuzzi's sucker punch of Steve Moore, who never played again.

Battery actually, but definitely criminal. Assault is when you intentionally cause fear or apprehension; battery is when you actually connect and cause injury. In some jurisdictions the definitions blend and I don't know what Illinois law is but I imagine we'll find out soon.

There's precedent in hockey for on-ice incidents that jumped the shark from competition to criminal, most memorably Todd Bertuzzi's sucker punch of Steve Moore, who never played again.
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like you have grounds for bringing assault charge against the Rangers on behalf of fans!

I guess you didn't watch last night after shooting 18 with Geno and Sid. I've never been more relaxed watching a playoff game.
With Shesturkin back there, you should be. Rags could well go all the way.

May as well throw him in jail. Looking at the kids shoes and singlet tells me he is a newer wrestler. This is outrageous

I was just at a tournament this past weekend... Local FS/GR combo...

Our club was wrestling another kid in the finals who had had something to say about every call thus far in the tournament, despite winning all matches to that point. He really didn't understand the "slip" rulings. At one point, his coach asked for a brick and review at a tournament of less than 70 total competitors (8u-Senior). Eventually, they reversed a call to appease them. I met eyes with the judge (and all of the officials were LEARNING, too) on his walk back to his post, as if to say, "This dude wants a brick in a tiny tournament of little-to-no lasting significance? :rolleyes:"

Match ends, and the opponent who had been fired up all morning lost. He storms off the mat. The ref (former Fargo Champ and in the mix in his age-group world team level) orders him back to the center. Without missing a beat, the kid pipes up, "Why? So you can call another slip?" I almost busted up, laughing, but it wasn't appropriate. I was busy making sure our athlete didn't do anything to instigate nothing. Mind you, this is the only match going on, center mat, in a 3 mat gym... 100 people in the whole building, probably. The head ref hears the kid pipe up and immediately stands up from the table and shuts it down... "Blue, you lost. Own it. Shake hands and lose with grace. You don't get to yell at the referees... (continues on for about a minute)." This ref was absolutely correct, and I will say that the fired up wrestler did shake hands and was behaved better the rest of the day. However, I had a bit of a tough feeling for the kid, as the silent gym erupted in applause for the official's stern lecture.

Again, I think it was handled well and lessons were learned. But man, I'm so glad not every match was filmed when I was younger, uploaded for the world to see.

Does the behavior warrant a consequence? Absolutely. It cannot be tolerated. Does that consequence need to be a lifetime ban? I don't know that I can get on-board with that, personally.

Just my .02 from being in the mix.

Yeah I’ll echo duster here. I may be in the minority but I feel bad for the kid. Should he face consequences? Of course! A suspension, maybe some community service and a ton of grunt work.

But I think to throw a young teenager out for life because he clearly can’t control his emotions is way too much. Wrestling can be overwhelming, especially when you get your ass whipped.

Hopefully he learns from this and becomes better. But this needs to be a teachable moment, not a time to cast the kid aside.

If we all went viral for our worst moments in 8th grade it would be an ugly, ugly world.

It was an ugly situation and should have consequences, but not banning a 15 year old. It saddens me because I wouldn’t be surprised if that is how his parents handle their anger and disappointment on him.

It was an ugly situation and should have consequences, but not banning a 15 year old. It saddens me because I wouldn’t be surprised if that is how his parents handle their anger and disappointment on him.
You are so right.

Violence begets violence

For all we know he might have a very aggresive mom

What too soon?

I never thought I'd say it, but wrestling just got as brutal as BB.
None of that compares to when Minnesota assaulted Ohio State in the 1970s - the act of offering to help someone up before kneeing him in the groin is probably the most classless thing I've ever seen

Yeah I’ll echo duster here. I may be in the minority but I feel bad for the kid. Should he face consequences? Of course! A suspension, maybe some community service and a ton of grunt work.

But I think to throw a young teenager out for life because he clearly can’t control his emotions is way too much. Wrestling can be overwhelming, especially when you get your ass whipped.

Hopefully he learns from this and becomes better. But this needs to be a teachable moment, not a time to cast the kid aside.

If we all went viral for our worst moments in 8th grade it would be an ugly, ugly world.

Never had that problem. As a pudgy kid with a mild physical disability, I got the sucker punches.

That only stopped when I got the chance to try some of the stuff I learned from the former boxer turned security guard at my Dad's plant. One kid thought he had me when he had pulled my coat over my head. I was already watching his feet per instructions and I kind of new about where his head should be-clocked him but good. It was pure luck but the word went out and the crap stopped.

We ended up on the wrestling team together-never friends-but no problems after that.

Unfortunately, what this kid really needs is a Dad who'll tell him "I brought you into this world, I can take you out". We all know how many kids are either growing up with no father or some other guy in the house, who is merely tolerating the offspring of the guy that had his woman before him even as she expects him to be super cuck. Between not having a man to teach them and being treated as "defective girls" to be ignored on STEM career day, it's sort of no wonder there's so many feral males out there.

BTW, "lifetime ban" is hyperbole. There's no body to adjudicate it and no body governs wrestling from the first time you put on a singlet to the day you leave your shoes on the mat.

Last edited:
This was a Beat The Streets Developmental tourney. This kid's background is unknown to us, and were it known, would probably be foreign to a lot of us. For all we know, he could be living with a single, ineffective parent, or could be in the foster care system. He may not get three squares a day, may not have a bed to sleep on, or may be trying to raise his brothers and sisters himself. He may be surrounded by people continually trying to lead him down the wrong path. My wife teaches here in central PA, and sees this stuff all the time, let alone Chicago.

None of this is an excuse. There needs to be consequences. But, if those things above are going on, and if wrestling is this kids way to escape it, by all means don't toss him from it for life. And, I hope like hell that there's someone that can put an arm around him and say, "You're being punished, and here's why." Then, keep him interested in the sport during that period.

Last edited:
None of that compares to when Minnesota assaulted Ohio State in the 1970s - the act of offering to help someone up before kneeing him in the groin is probably the most classless thing I've ever seen

Uncalled for, but I’ve been hit with more aggressive knees to the groin at many a titty bar.

Not surprising from a Jerry Sandusky pedophile backer like you. Bad mouthing Spencers mom. What a POS you are.
The only charges on which even that borderline unconstitutional jury (in a borderline unconstitutional trial) found Sandusky not guilty were the charges stemming from the PSU shower incident.

So, in a word: shut the hell up.

Slow learner,lots of bad decisions.
If you think that’s bad you should have seen some of the kids I went to grade school with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT