ADVERTISEMENT

Shooting at Ft Lauderdale airport. Multiple casualties *

Happened in baggage claim.

One thing that struck me on my trip to LA was that the baggage claim area at LAX was not a secure area. People were coming in from outside as I waited for my bag. A situation could easily happen there.

Some things that seem different about this attack: Shooter in a uniform of some type with military ID. Rumored to be Hispanic....as per Sen. Nelson. Captured. Head shots to victims. Shooter allegedly saying, repeatedly, "I am not Jewish."

Does seem to be a very good response by LE.

One thing that struck me on my trip to LA was that the baggage claim area at LAX was not a secure area. People were coming in from outside as I waited for my bag. A situation could easily happen there.

Some things that seem different about this attack: Shooter in a uniform of some type with military ID. Rumored to be Hispanic....as per Sen. Nelson. Captured. Head shots to victims. Shooter allegedly saying, repeatedly, "I am not Jewish."

Are any baggage claim areas secure? Pretty sure the ones at Dulles and Reagan (in DC) are accessible by anyone (well, the international baggage claim at Dulles isn't); mostly because that's where folks go to pick up arrivals.

Are any baggage claim areas secure? Pretty sure the ones at Dulles and Reagan (in DC) are accessible by anyone (well, the international baggage claim at Dulles isn't); mostly because that's where folks go to pick up arrivals.

Was just going to add, it seems like only international are secured.

It is unimaginable that not too long ago anyone could wander to an airport gate.

good question...they are NOT secure.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles

BWI is the same way in the baggage area.
It wont be long before there are security gates and metal detectors at the entrance to all airports.

One observation as a lay person. As I said, LE seems to be doing a good job here today. However, we need to train our citizens like we train our troops: Maintain some separation from each other during evacuations. This might mitigate any losses from secondary attacks which, fortunately, did not occur today.

BWI is the same way in the baggage area.
It wont be long before there are security gates and metal detectors at the entrance to all airports.

Well...there have been shootings at ticketing as well. Fact is, there are going to be lines someplace...at ticketing and/or at baggage claim. These are soft targets and will always be soft targets. Not sure what can be done to make these places safer.

Baggage is open at every airport. That's how the criminals come in, steal your bag, and walk right out the door. Every flown into Philly? You can park your car, walk 20 feet inside, take some bags to your car and drive away in under a minute.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
BTW, ABC is carrying very good live coverage right now. One of their reporters was on site as the incident occurred via their local affiliate. She is reporting, though a little shook up. She saw him shooting from about "20 feet away."

EDIT: She is not a reporter. She is a kiosk worker at the airport.

E2: The local affiliate's reporter was on a flight that was arriving at the time the incident occurred.

Last edited:
BTW, ABC is carrying very good live coverage right now. One of their reporters was on site as the incident occurred via their local affiliate. She is reporting, though a little shook up. She saw him shooting from about "20 feet away."
She says that her impression was that he was originally shooting upward....as if he was seated at first. Could not see him at first. Then she saw him shooting while standing.

Working about 10 miles from FLL airport and nothing but sirens everywhere. 2nd unconfirmed shooting in parking garage terminal 1. Exact terminal and baggage claim I used when I flew back in from philly on monday. Yeesh... strange thing I was thinking while standing there waiting for my bag was that the whole area is unsecured as in other airports as well. People were just walking in from outside to the baggage claim area. I thought to myself this is a perfect place for an attack with no police around and tons of people. Just like that it happens... sad times we live in anymore. Prayers for all the victims and their families.

Well...there have been shootings at ticketing as well. Fact is, there are going to be lines someplace...at ticketing and/or at baggage claim. These are soft targets and will always be soft targets. Not sure what can be done to make these places safer.

Yea thats what I meant. Ticketing, Baggage they are all open areas. I expect that to change.

I don't think there's anyway to make it totally secure. You put security at all doors to enter the airport and you just move the unsecured soft target to the sidewalk and parking lots outside the building where people will gather and lines back up as they wait to pass security.

Post Paris, it's been mentioned here before regarding the Beav. When they only open a few gates and don't staff them properly to quickly process and move people you create a soft target for any nutcase that wants to do harm.

I don't know what the answer is. Anyone know what they do at public spaces like this in Israel? Prayers for the victims and families.

Another witness says guy walked in and started shooting indiscriminately. When he apparently ran out of ammo, he threw his gun down and layed on the floor in a spread eagle fashion, awaiting LE to arrive.

From what he saw, he was standing the whole time, until he went down to the floor after shooting.

well, as far as ticketing...you either have a line at the curb trying to get through security and into the lobby/ticketing area, or what you have now. Either way, a lot of sitting ducks.

Agree. Its like the poster above said you just move the line somewhere else.
Not sure what the solution is. :(

Another account: Shooter arrived on a Canada Air flight. Had a gun checked into his luggage. Went into the bathroom and came out shooting.

they've detained some guy named Esteban Santiago. Seems they are convinced he's the shooter.

There are not enough police and security in all the world to protect all the soft targets. The world has always been unsafe and will always be so. We must do what we can but it will never be enough.

Has there ever been a study on these events? It seems they generally fall into 2 categories- either a nutcase who loses it and just kills people for no reason or terrorists who are ideologically driven.

I wonder if there's ever been a large scale psych study on why people (non terrorists) do these things.

It's frustrating- I just don't get what makes people do this. Is there a trend of certain psych issues among shooters or something else that ties their warped thinking together? Anyone know of any FBI profile or psychology studies on this?

Has there ever been a study on these events? It seems they generally fall into 2 categories- either a nutcase who loses it and just kills people for no reason or terrorists who are ideologically driven.

I wonder if there's ever been a large scale psych study on why people (non terrorists) do these things.

It's frustrating- I just don't get what makes people do this. Is there a trend of certain psych issues among shooters or something else that ties their warped thinking together? Anyone know of any FBI profile or psychology studies on this?

Usually a guy too. Rejected by hot girls? Dunno.

That is an excellent question.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=cdc+gun+violence+studies&FORM=EDGNNC

Nothing to worry about, just another mentally deranged person exercising their 2nd amendment rights. More people are dying everyday from common household accidents. Remain calm.... All is well.
WTF Dude - what does this even mean?

Just flew into MIA this morning ahead Of this incident.

I am sure getting out of So Fla next week will be a chore.
Ironic. You flew into the only airport south of the Mason-Dixon Line WORSE than Ft. Lauderdale.

Yeah. 5 dead, not 3.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/gunman-opens-fire-fort-lauderdale-airport-killing-1-n704001

They said he "picked a gun up at baggage claim." So either it was brought in from the street outside (bad enough), or he pulled it out of his checked luggage (worse). Never even thought about it before today, but I really have to wonder if it is good policy to let people take guns on airplanes, even if it is in checked luggage. Baggage claim areas are (to use military parlance) a "target rich environment."

BTW, don't they x-ray/scan checked luggage as well?

Yeah. 5 dead, not 3.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/gunman-opens-fire-fort-lauderdale-airport-killing-1-n704001

They said he "picked a gun up at baggage claim." So either it was brought in from the street outside (bad enough), or he pulled it out of his checked luggage (worse). Never even thought about it before today, but I really have to wonder if it is good policy to let people take guns on airplanes, even if it is in checked luggage. Baggage claim areas are (to use military parlance) a "target rich environment."

BTW, don't they x-ray/scan checked luggage as well?
He checked his gun from AK to MN to FTL..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT