ADVERTISEMENT

Septic shock - you’re thoughts appreciated

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
I know I’m not always the most popular guy in the Board but I try to contribute humor and opinion as I see fit. Thursday night I came close to death with a sudden onslaught of septic shock which centered in my gall bladder. Had my wife not called 911 I wouldn’t be here today. I have other serious health issues including being a cancer survivor for 15 years although I’m not cured. I just manage it and live with the side effects of the meds as a chronic disease. I also have afib and wear a pacemaker. So my recovery from this will be more complicated than most balancing the various meds and ridding my body of the infection until they can operate (been on blood thinners). I’ve been blessed and fortunate in so many ways but I’m not ready to pack it in.

I’d appreciate any thoughts prayers and support to help me get through this now. Getting older is a bitch but it beats the alternative. Thank you with all sincerity. I guess no more scrapple for me.

We are..

I know I’m not always the most popular guy in the Board but I try to contribute humor and opinion as I see fit. Thursday night I came close to death with a sudden onslaught of septic shock which centered in my gall bladder. Had my wife not called 911 I wouldn’t be here today. I have other serious health issues including being a cancer survivor for 15 years although I’m not cured. I just manage it and live with the side effects of the meds as a chronic disease. I also have afib and wear a pacemaker. So my recovery from this will be more complicated than most balancing the various meds and ridding my body of the infection until they can operate (been on blood thinners). I’ve been blessed and fortunate in so many ways but I’m not ready to pack it in.

I’d appreciate any thoughts prayers and support to help me get through this now. Getting older is a bitch but it beats the alternative. Thank you with all sincerity. I guess no more scrapple for me.

We are..
God bless and get well

We are..
Good luck, bud. Thoughts and prayers that you'll around for the next undefeated season.

We are..

Nit, may God give you the strength sir to persevere.

I wish you all the good health sir and your wife is an angel in your life!!

:)

Not a good environmental for anyone. Even the Pitt fans stay away. The Beav each fall is like a milestone for me. Coming over 99 and seeing it rise in the horizon means I made it another year. It’s like going back to your home. And for the record, I stand the F up and cheer. I’m not a get off my lawn guy. I love it there. It’s where I want to be on Saturdays in the fall.

We are..
Sorry to hear that. Hang in there. Thoughts go out to you and your family.

We are..

We got you Nitwit! Do what your docs say, rest, and enjoy an afternoon bath now and then (my personal remedy for pretty much everything). You'll be recovered before you know it.

giphy.gif

Mr NitWit - As with many others, I've had my share of life's heartaches. I refuse to give up or give in. You have had your share too. The story you wrote says that you do not give up or give in. Keep that attitude going.

I will leave you with one of my favorite lyrics from Frank Sinatra - My Way. This is how I think of myself relative to the situations and struggles that have challenged me through the years. Best of luck to you.

"Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it my way
"

[And no I am not suggesting the end is near. It is just that stanza that provides motivation and strength when you feel life kicking you in the teeth]

Mr NitWit - As with many others, I've had my share of life's heartaches. I refuse to give up or give in. You have had your share too. The story you wrote says that you do not give up or give in. Keep that attitude going.

I will leave you with one of my favorite lyrics from Frank Sinatra - My Way. This is how I think of myself relative to the situations and struggles that have challenged me through the years. Best of luck to you.

"Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it my way
"

[And no I am not suggesting the end is near. It is just that stanza that provides motivation and strength when you feel life kicking you in the teeth]
My song of inspiration is Angel from Montgomery. How the hell can a person. Go to work in the morning. And come home in the evening. And have nothing to say.....John Prine

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovialgent
I've gotten into intermittent fasting and from what I've read it's effective for warding off cancer. If your Dr is OK with it you might want to give it a try. It's not as hard as it sounds. I've gone a few days without eating.

I'm not a praying person but I do send you healing thoughts.

I've gotten into intermittent fasting and from what I've read it's effective for warding off cancer. If your Dr is OK with it you might want to give it a try. It's not as hard as it sounds. I've gone a few days without eating.

I'm not a praying person but I do send you healing thoughts.
Interesting. Had not heard this, but have read that abstaining from sugar wards off cancer.

So you're saying your health issues are the reason why you're such a jerk?? :( Don't worry. You have a lot of company!!

Just kidding, obviously. Hang tough. 107,000 of your closest friends love seeing you on game day. :)

We are..
Wow. This story reminds me of the joke about the missing dog - has 3 legs, tattered ears, is deaf and has bad eyesight - goes by the name of “lucky”.

Hang in there man.

We are..
Same thing happened to me (septic shock around gall bladder). Spent a month in the ICU, several months in rehab hospitals. Was on daily dialysis for quite a while, had to learn to walk again. Was out of work for nearly 5 months, and almost lost my season tickets. But I got them back, and made it to several games that season. Well worth the effort to fight my way through and make it back to the games. I sometimes still eat items like scrapple, but know I shouldn't and usually pay for it. Best of luck to you, hang in there!

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me (septic shock around gall bladder). Spent a month in the ICU, several months in rehab hospitals. Was on daily dialysis for quite a while, had to learn to walk again. Was out of work for nearly 5 months, and almost lost my season tickets. But I got them back, and made it to several games that season. Well worth the effort to fight my way through and make it back to the games. I sometimes still eat items like scrapple, but know I shouldn't and usually pay for it. Best of luck to you, hang in there!
You’re the one that needs my prayers. I think once I get rid of the infection I’ll be on the mend. Hopefully quickly.

I’d appreciate any thoughts prayers and support to help me get through this now.
You have my thoughts and support my friend,
Thomas.

Serious stuff, Nit, I waited until I starting loosing bodily functions & passed out. Didn't know I had pneumonia then septic shock until four days into being ill. Doctor told Karen that another 12 hours would have been fatal. Of course, I was 56 in decent shape w/ no medical problems, hope and pray for your well being.

The hallucinations I had were very disturbing, long story, not getting into it. Spent three weeks in ICU, three months off from work. When I got out of the hospital on a Friday, my father died in the V.A. on Saturday morning.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us". - Ralph Waldo Emerson

We are..
Sorry to hear about your health. I wish you a complete recovery. Keep on fighting against your cancer. In the past month I became a cancer victim. I had a bladder tumor removed and was treated with a type of chemo drug immediately after surgery. Luckily, the tumor was caught early, was non-invasive of the bladder muscle and wall, and was low grade. However, this type of cancer often returns. I will need to be checked every 3 months for new tumors over many years to come. My mom died of pancreatic cancer and cancer runs in her family. She too had bladder cancer. Hang in there. I'm pulling for you.

You are one tough dude.

My advise is to keep moving as much as possible. Exercise, even just moving around, stimulates the whole body into healing faster. Along with a solid low cal diet are the key.

Screaming your lungs out at the Beav will do you a lot of good.

Best wishes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT