ADVERTISEMENT

Seminole on the Golf Channel now - Walker Cup

MtNittany

May 29, 2001
seminole-aerial-view.jpg

About a mile down the road. The most beautiful golf course in the world imo. Only played there maybe 10 times, but each was memorable.

Last edited:
Have you played a tougher golf course? With the wind off the ocean and the course set up it looks brutal.
I'd say Winged Foot is tougher. Seminole w/ the wind coming at you is something else though. If you're above the hole, bring your wedge because you aren't going to be putting. You can putt it back up the hill or dead sideways, the results will be the same. Wedge.

Last edited:
Only 10 times? Your golf course resume must be phenomenal !!!! Jealousy on my part, pure jealousy!
I worked at what is now the Dye Preserve for years and one of the partners was a member at Seminole. When he had 3, he would call the shop and we'd send out an assistant. I was always first in line.

Just like I had to play w/ Jack and Michael for a US Open qualifier practice round. Miserable bastard that he is.

The locker room at Seminole is better than the golf course if you can believe it.

Reactions: gslachta
I worked at what is now the Dye Preserve for years and one of the partners was a member at Seminole. When he had 3, he would call the shop and we'd send out an assistant. I was always first in line.

Just like I had to play w/ Jack and Michael for a US Open qualifier practice round. Miserable bastard that he is.

The locker room at Seminole is better than the golf course if you can believe it.
I can! But couple of courses I played had the old metal lockers when I played them (years ago)- Merion,& The Country Club come to mind. They probably are different now. Didn’t diminish the course or club.

You both have great resumes for courses played. I've been playing most of my life and sit at a 1 handicap currently, but have no name worthy tracks under my belt. Once the kids get older I will work on changing that hopefully lol.

I can! But couple of courses I played had the old metal lockers when I played them (years ago)- Merion,& The Country Club come to mind. They probably are different now. Didn’t diminish the course or club.
The locker numbers are carved through the solid wood lockers - serving as vents. When I played there there was no A/C (probably still isn't) - just a few big creaky ceiling fans slowly turning. There's an aerial picture of the course depicting Claude Harmon's shot by shot 60. Lots of Hogan stuff to see too. Just a special place. Really special.

I first played Merion in the State Am back in the 80's. 74/83 M/C. My caddie at one point said during the second round - "Man, I ain't never seen anyone chew the tobacco and smoke a marlboro at the same time before."

The locker numbers are carved through the solid wood lockers - serving as vents. When I played there there was no A/C (probably still isn't) - just a few big creaky ceiling fans slowly turning. There's an aerial picture of the course depicting Claude Harmon's shot by shot 60. Lots of Hogan stuff to see too. Just a special place. Really special.
These courses fall into my Reverence Category. You know when you drive in you look for a place to kneel. The course, the club and the tradition become the trinity of my category.

Reactions: MtNittany
These courses fall into my Reverence Category. You know when you drive in you look for a place to kneel. The course, the club and the tradition become the trinity of my category.
I could maybe get you on next season. Send me an email sometime between now and then - mtnittany@gmail.com

Bob Ford is retiring, so it will be harder. But I still know some folks.

Like I told Ziegler a few years ago, be ready at the drop of the hat. Of course John being John didn't like that. So....he still hasn't played Seminole.

I've never been to this course but the reputation makes me think it would be a great venue for a major championship. Summers in Florida aren't conducive to majors but now that the PGA is moved to May maybe it is a possibility? If Seminole is wiling to host the Walker Cup would they do it for the PGA? I can only hope.

I've never been to this course but the reputation makes me think it would be a great venue for a major championship. Summers in Florida aren't conducive to majors but now that the PGA is moved to May maybe it is a possibility? If Seminole is wiling to host the Walker Cup would they do it for the PGA? I can only hope.
Not likely. Like Pine Valley - no place for spectators, and the members aren't about stuff like that. At all.

It would be the highest score for a winner in the history of the PGA though. That, I would almost guarantee.

Good friend of mine is a caddy there and is working the walker cup. He sends me pictures all the time. The super moon you had there a couple weeks ago was amazing.

Reactions: MtNittany
This is the sort of thing you see on the walls in the locker room:

seminole-clubhouse-1-copy.jpg

Good look at the lockers. If you have a locker there, well, you've made it. I would guess that only (possibly) Cypress Point is more exclusive. Augusta and Pine Valley are easy beans compared to Seminole.

seminole-clubhouse-8.jpg

Not likely. Like Pine Valley - no place for spectators, and the members aren't about stuff like that. At all.

It would be the highest score for a winner in the history of the PGA though. That, I would almost guarantee.
Forgot who did the ranking, but Pine Valley was just voted the no. 1 course in the world, and Merion was also very high up there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT