ADVERTISEMENT

Seiders Interim OC. Franklin wants Moorehead back

but he still has to make the run-pass read.

There is no pass option on our Zone Read plays this year. Our WRs aren't running routes, they are blocking (usually poorly). The biggest issue is Allar is riding the read with a 1 in 30 chance of pulling it and running himself. This can be simplified by calling a straight Inside Zone where he just hands off, but they've kept the Zone Read in without directing him to pull it (which would keep defenses from flowing to our RB every time without fail).

There is no pass option on our Zone Read plays this year. Our WRs aren't running routes, they are blocking (usually poorly). The biggest issue is Allar is riding the read with a 1 in 30 chance of pulling it and running himself. This can be simplified by calling a straight Inside Zone where he just hands off, but they've kept the Zone Read in without directing him to pull it (which would keep defenses from flowing to our RB every time without fail).
I get that and agree with the rest of your post. I'm just saying that the coaches are still expecting Allar to read the defense when he gets to the los and pick one of the two plays that he called in the huddle - either run or pass. I don't know why they give him that responsibility before the snap and still check with the sidelines but it appears that's what is happening.

I get that and agree with the rest of your post. I'm just saying that the coaches are still expecting Allar to read the defense when he gets to the los and pick one of the two plays that he called in the huddle - either run or pass. I don't know why they give him that responsibility before the snap and still check with the sidelines but it appears that's what is happening.
Yes. Allar is thinking way too much right now. That’s a problem for some young QB’s. He just needs to focus on executing the play that is called. Nothing more and nothing less. That’s how you slow the game down for him until he can speed it up on his terms.

Reactions: KnightWhoSaysNit
Allar is a 19yr old with potential. Does not make him a good qb at all. He does not have the IT factor for sure and rarely makes anything happen off script . He take too long to process the game - accuracy is iffy and he is slow as hell. That is your scouting report Mr and Mrs allar. I hope he enjoys his Tesla. Moment is too big for this 19 yr old who has not and may not ever arrive.
That's harsh but there's some truth to what you say. But remember he's only 19 yrs old. Way too early to give up on him.

Lot a disinformation in this thread. the offense Joe Moorhead would run if he came back and Allar stayed would look a lot like what he ran at UConn when they went to the Fiesta Bowl, what his disciple Joe Brady ran at Louisiana State or what he ran at Oregon before heading to Akron.

The only reason the RPO was in the playbook is because that is the only thing Trace McSorley could actually do at a high level. Joe Moorhead is exactly the coordinator we need because he is one of a few that are not tied to a specific offensive philosophy. It didn't work out for him as a head coach but his is the top offensive mind in the college game right now.
Moorhead most definitely had his scheme, it involved the RPO and he brought it with him and ran it exclusively. We used to complain about the slow handoffs and never having the QB under center and no QB sneaks.

Yes. Allar is thinking way too much right now. That’s a problem for some young QB’s. He just needs to focus on executing the play that is called. Nothing more and nothing less. That’s how you slow the game down for him until he can speed it up on his terms.
He was thinking too much because his coordinator couldn't make up his damn mind and call the god damn play.

Reactions: m.knox and hoflane
There’s been a lot of times where Allar throws to a spot and the receivers break the other way. Either Allar is throwing to the wrong spot, the receivers are running the wrong routes or the playbook has them so confused everyone is on the wrong page.

Didn't Moorhead just take the Akron HC job last year???

Don't see someone leaving an FBS HC'ing job for an OC job.... Leave for a better HC'ing job, yes.... but leaving a FBS HC'ing job for an OC role? Don't think so.
The Kent State coach left for Colorado last year with a hefty raise.

Good chance Joe M would make at least 3x more by being an OC at PSU than HC at Akron.

There’s been a lot of times where Allar throws to a spot and the receivers break the other way. Either Allar is throwing to the wrong spot, the receivers are running the wrong routes or the playbook has them so confused everyone is on the wrong page.
I'll take door number 3: His system was so confusing nobody knew what the hell to do

On several occasions, he had to throw too early due to pressure.

Reactions: mcpat
I
Would venture to guess it’s the last one.

Feels to me like they were welding MY “stuff” with what Franklin likes to do, which led to a pared down version of both.

This!

I know some may laugh at your post, but you are absolutely right. 2023 o-line is way ahead of 2016 and 2017 lines, which were definitely impacted by recruiting challenges during sanction years.. Barkley would average at least another ypc with a 2023 line.
People look back on 2016 and 2017 with nostalgia, but PSU wasn’t supposed to be anything special in either of those two years. Moorhead took a three star qb and placed him in a system where he had the best chance to excel. PSU truly punched above its weight in those two years.

People look back on 2016 and 2017 with nostalgia, but PSU wasn’t supposed to be anything special in either of those two years. Moorhead took a three star qb and placed him in a system where he had the best chance to excel. PSU truly punched above its weight in those two years.
They also had a RB, WR, and TE who are now excelling in the NFL.

Reactions: Global Fan
Moorhead most definitely had his scheme, it involved the RPO and he brought it with him and ran it exclusively. We used to complain about the slow handoffs and never having the QB under center and no QB sneaks.
You’re way more correct than the OP. Moorhead developed “his offense” at Fordham. He hasn’t fully developed/wasn’t allowed to tinker to the save degree at UCONN. He even said that when he got the job at Fordham, he decided to run the scheme he’d been thinking about and tinkering with for a few years. He did the save stuff at MSU that he did at PSU, remember Tommy Stevens went to MSU. He largely changed his base philosophy with the slow mesh and frequent true RPO’s. He ran the zone read at Oregon, but not as frequently and his RPO philosophy was much different. No ideas what’s he’s doing at Akron as I haven’t watched them play.

You’re way more correct than the OP. Moorhead developed “his offense” at Fordham. He hasn’t fully developed/wasn’t allowed to tinker to the save degree at UCONN. He even said that when he got the job at Fordham, he decided to run the scheme he’d been thinking about and tinkering with for a few years. He did the save stuff at MSU that he did at PSU, remember Tommy Stevens went to MSU. He largely changed his base philosophy with the slow mesh and frequent true RPO’s. He ran the zone read at Oregon, but not as frequently and his RPO philosophy was much different. No ideas what’s he’s doing at Akron as I haven’t watched them play.
let's not forget, people were calling for Moorheads head before, and during, the minnesota game. The slow developing office just wasn't working. But sometime during minnesota someone decided to let McSorley run the ball and the entire offense and season turned around.

Now maybe Moorhead after Miss State, Oregon and Akron has evolved..but, imo, allar is not suited to the offense moorhead ran here during 2016/17

Great. Change the terminology again but keep the RPO with a pro-style QB who is not a threat to run. Rinse. Repeat.
I remember one of the major knocks on Joe was his short yardage offense out of the shotgun. I don’t know what his offense at Akron looks like but two years and only 4 wins doesn’t bode well.

Reactions: PSUSignore
Lot a disinformation in this thread. the offense Joe Moorhead would run if he came back and Allar stayed would look a lot like what he ran at UConn when they went to the Fiesta Bowl, what his disciple Joe Brady ran at Louisiana State or what he ran at Oregon before heading to Akron.

The only reason the RPO was in the playbook is because that is the only thing Trace McSorley could actually do at a high level. Joe Moorhead is exactly the coordinator we need because he is one of a few that are not tied to a specific offensive philosophy. It didn't work out for him as a head coach but his is the top offensive mind in the college game right now.

So if he comes here we're looking at a lot of Allar under center, play action, maybe even a fullback? Yes please.

Reactions: bison13

He also throws high a lot. His footwork is not very good and he has a slow windup.

He also throws high a lot. His footwork is not very good and he has a slow windup.
He doesn't have a slow wind up. For God sake he can flick it with his wrist. The quality of his footwork seems to vary with his poise. Throwing high when he throws deep I hope can be cured with deprogramming him from the occasional interceptions are the end of the world brainwashing he has gotten. An interception of a deep pass on occasion is meh and often does no harm to your D.

Except PSU hasn’t run an RPO offense this year.
but they run out of an RPO set where part of the plan is to make the defense respect the QB run game. Nobody respects our QB run game. When he puts the ball into the gut of the RB, it is either a RB run or a pass. With the slow set up of these plays, the Defense front 7 keys to the RB to stop the run. And, when you run 90% of the time on first down, that means you only have one guy to cover. 10/13.

Reactions: bison13
That's right. Not just in the red zone but on first downs. When we run 90% of the time, there is only one guy to cover and that is the RB. If we run the ball, it is the RB. You tell the LBs to flow to the RB. You tell the S to read their keys and if it is a run, flow to the single RB. We haven't had the WRs to run any jet sweeps. We don't run any misdirection. Realistically, the defenses simply cover KLS and stop the RB. If the TE beats them so be it.

Reactions: lazydave841
1. Franklin already has his man. He is too calculated to just make this move without a plan already in place.

2. The one constant we have seen over the years are the little tweaks that I believe Franklin imposes on the offense. The MY Offense at Oklahoma State had similar personnel in Rudolph and Washington. I don't ever remember seeing Rudolph riding the RB.

3. Nobody is hitting the damn portal. Again, knowing Franklin he has conversations about the move with the people that are in the need to know.

4. Speaking of portal....let em go. Leaving Penn State doesn't scream automatic success, especially at RB.....Lee, Slade, Cain.....

Yes. I agree. But Blacknall was undervalued by the fan base. He caught many clutch passes when he was needed to.
Blacknail must have been in someone's doghouse because he made some fabulous clutch passes.

Reactions: 81b&w
Allar is a 19yr old with potential. Does not make him a good qb at all. He does not have the IT factor for sure and rarely makes anything happen off script . He take too long to process the game - accuracy is iffy and he is slow as hell. That is your scouting report Mr and Mrs allar. I hope he enjoys his Tesla. Moment is too big for this 19 yr old who has not and may not ever arrive.
Go pound sand. Kerry Collins didn't look like a world beater most of 1993. Then 94 happened and he was in the mix for the Heisman. Allar has done a lot of good things. The offensive design doesn't help. Michigan used some easy concepts for their QB such as rolling him out and then the WR posted right after the sticks for an easy first down. I can't remember ever seeing us use these types of routes.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Look at the play design for the flea flicker. The WR haven't even reached the db level yet and Allar already has the ball back from the pitch. Maybe Singleton needs to hold the ball longer before the pitch, I don't know. Then there was no check down throw for that play in case the deep wasn't there. Just a poorly designed play.

Another poorly designed play was the Allen HB Pass....Michigan had that play snuffed out. Yes, we got 4 yards and a first down but I doubt that play is designed for 4 yards.

The final thing is this.....The WR are either poorly coached or Dante Cephus is the dumbest WR in the nation. Why does he always seem to be out of place?

Look at the play design for the flea flicker. The WR haven't even reached the db level yet and Allar already has the ball back from the pitch. Maybe Singleton needs to hold the ball longer before the pitch, I don't know. Then there was no check down throw for that play in case the deep wasn't there. Just a poorly designed play.

Another poorly designed play was the Allen HB Pass....Michigan had that play snuffed out. Yes, we got 4 yards and a first down but I doubt that play is designed for 4 yards.

The final thing is this.....The WR are either poorly coached or Dante Cephus is the dumbest WR in the nation. Why does he always seem to be out of place?
I am no fan of gadget plays other than to make sure the defense players know that they have to "stay home". These plays rarely work across all of college football. I'd much rather see some more creative plays used more like jet sweeps and inside shovel passes to TEs. Our two TEs are not great runners but Dinkins looks more athletic. I'd like to see more misdirection.

Blacknail must have been in someone's doghouse because he made some fabulous clutch passes.

Blacknall never caught on in the league either. Truth be told, he had talent, but apparently not next level talent. Trace just didn't have no fear.

Then there was no check down throw for that play

It looked like the same drive concept we scored on vs WVU (KLS 72 yard TD) from a slightly different formation and included the flea flicker. Cephas (I think it was him, I'd have to rewatch) was open over the middle and from the TV shot it didn't appear the safety back pedaled early.

Allar has to throw the ball there. You either throw the deep route or you have to hit the short route before the LBs and Safeties can recover.

A friend and I were talking about that as well. Seems like he is in the wrong spot more than any other WR I've seen in a long time.

Blacknall never caught on in the league either. Truth be told, he had talent, but apparently not next level talent. Trace just didn't have no fear.

It looked like the same drive concept we scored on vs WVU (KLS 72 yard TD) from a slightly different formation and included the flea flicker. Cephas (I think it was him, I'd have to rewatch) was open over the middle and from the TV shot it didn't appear the safety back pedaled early.

Allar has to throw the ball there. You either throw the deep route or you have to hit the short route before the LBs and Safeties can recover.
I only noticed the WR on the left that I thought was Cephus. I will have to go back and rewatch but the play looked way to fast and didn't give the wr a little extra time to get behind the D.

Reactions: lazydave841
A friend and I were talking about that as well. Seems like he is in the wrong spot more than any other WR I've seen in a long time.
Is the play book that difficult or is he that bad at doing things? My gosh thats a bad look.

I only noticed the WR on the left that I thought was Cephus. I will have to go back and rewatch but the play looked way to fast and didn't give the wr a little extra time to get behind the D.

Cephas was open, but I'm 99% sure he wasn't the first read on the pass. By the time Allar looked at him, he ran into retreating coverage instead of sitting down in the gap. At least, that's how I remember it live. I could be wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT