ADVERTISEMENT

SB dodges Bowl question

He shouldn't play in the bowl game. What would he gain from it?
Plus it rewards the other backs and gives them a chance to shine.
Honestly, I hope most kids start sitting out the meaningless bowl game. The bowl system is out-dated. Playing in the Peach/Cotton/Fiesta/Orange is a nice reward but what relevance do those games actually have. You aren't winning a title.

I’d have no problem with any of the NFL seniors sitting. That’s Barkley, Gesicki, Allen, etc... A bowl result is worthless if you aren’t in the Final four. They have given enough to the program. Let’s see next years team in the bowl. They have a month of working out with that group.

He shouldn't play in the bowl game. What would he gain from it?
Plus it rewards the other backs and gives them a chance to shine.
Honestly, I hope most kids start sitting out the meaningless bowl game. The bowl system is out-dated. Playing in the Peach/Cotton/Fiesta/Orange is a nice reward but what relevance do those games actually have. You aren't winning a title.
It's a team game and he is a team player!

^^^quitter mentality^^^

I just don't see the value in playing these bowl games if you're career is done. Basically they get swag and play a scrimmage. It didn't hurt their draft stock--it won't hurt Barkley's either. Probably wishful thinking on my part but I want these kids to skip out on these games so the bowls come to end and we get a 16 team playoff like other levels of football.

So, McCaffrey and Fournette aren't team players for sitting out an exhibition, really? What will you say about Saquon if he sits? He's still the same person
You got it. When an athlete puts himself above the team, they are not a team player even though I understand their motive.
If Barkley doesn't play in the bowl, I misjudged him!

I'm surprised but happy to see the responses here suggesting he sit. I'm sorry if you won't be entertained as much by him not playing, but this is a decision that impacts his life and possibly his family's life. 26 has given us everything, time for him to look out for himself and it starts with a meaningless bowl game. I would not think he is any less of a team player for a nano second. To suggest otherwise is foolish.

Other than impacting the bowl site, if a team is out of it for a conference title or NC, do the remaining games have any more meaning than the bowl game itself? Maybe the reporter should have asked a leading question on whether Barkley should consider quitting right now.

Barkley will play in the bowl game. If I'm the coaches I just give the backups, including Stevens, a lot more time.

For those of you who believe SB shouldn't play in a bowl game I ask what's the point of SB even finishing the regular season? It's meaningless relative to a MNC? Right? His NFL stock is pretty much solidified at this point.

Reactions: Mixolydian
For those of you who believe SB shouldn't play in a bowl game I ask what's the point of SB even finishing the regular season? It's meaningless relative to a MNC? Right? His NFL stock is pretty much solidified at this point.

Because the regular season is part of this semester and would impact his scholarship. The bowl game isn't...he's already met his obligation. As soon as the season ends he should focus on the combine not a scrimmage.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I’d have no problem with any of the NFL seniors sitting. That’s Barkley, Gesicki, Allen, etc... A bowl result is worthless if you aren’t in the Final four. They have given enough to the program. Let’s see next years team in the bowl. They have a month of working out with that group.
This^. No reason for him to play in a meaningless bowl game.

But for the CFP, the bowls are exhibition games. No team is ever going to win the championship who is not in the playoff. I understand your point since PSU is technically toast for the Big championship as well. But at least there is still the possibility that PSU could wiggle in under a crazy scenario at least until the end of next weekend. But undoubtedly the scenario you paint will come to pass at some time when a high ceiling kid doesn't go the last game of the regular season.

First of all, Barkley was right to dodge the question. It’s ridiculously early at this point to think about crap like that and a possible distraction for both him and the team.

That said, there are legitimate arguments on both sides of the issue, but I would respect his decision either way. The guy has been a great player and a model citizen. He’s done Penn State proud. I wouldn’t think less of him if he decided not to risk his future livelihood by sitting out a non-playoff bowl game at the very end of his collegiate career.

And here’s the thing: I’m not sure that him not playing would be that devastating. OK, that sounds crazy since he’s the best back in the country. But he’s also a marked man on every single play now. Every opposing defense keys on #26, which is why the running game has been largely shut down in recent weeks. Well that and the fact that our OL is average at best and the read-option scheme is flawed.

Meanwhile, #24 is a fantastic back in his own right. If he were to start and carry the load, I would not be at all surprised if he were to have a very big day on the ground. Yes, as a fan I’d like Saquon to play in the bowl. But if he were to get hurt like the Michigan kid last year, I’d feel sick about it.

Reactions: PSU_1991
Because the regular season is part of this semester and would impact his scholarship. The bowl game isn't...he's already met his obligation. As soon as the season ends he should focus on the combine not a scrimmage.
You aren't that niave are you? A sore ankle, back or knee would get a player out of any obligation to play the last game or 2 of the season. I get the arguments on both sides of the issue. I know it's a personal choice but it's also a slippery slope. I respect each players decision but I think it's generally selfish behavior. But to each their own.

I would love to see Barkley suit up in the blue and white and run onto the field with the team one last time in a bowl game, but I understand if he doesn’t.
And if I was in his shoes I probably wouldn’t play. He has to take care of himself and his family. A knee or Achilles injury in the game could cost him millions. A career even.
Any non quarterback expected to go in the first round should consider not playing due to the risk of injury.
However, those not projected to in the first would probably be better off playing. I would think a good bowl game in front of a national tv audience would improve their stock more than going to one of the senior bowls.
So I expect Gesicki, Allen, Haley, Cabinda etc. to play.
That being said, there is more to college football than national championships. That’s what makes the game so great and far better than the NFL.

Last edited:
he should not play in the bowl game. After finals are over he should get an agent the next day and be done with school. Let sanders play in the bowl.

None of it means anything other than the importance we give it. If the bowl and the team is important to them, they should play.

(Read: who gives a **** what value YOU place on it)

If he chooses to play (and Gesicki, too... although Mike needs to show someone he can actually block another human being... sometime), that's cool. I won't be angry if he opts to step aside... and it will help the team prep for next year.

That said.. latest predictions have us playing in the outhouse bowl vs south carolina or citrus vs miss state. might have bowls reversed.. really doesn't matter.

If it weren't penn state (say, I lived in Boise or some such) i would not even click that turd on.. except maybe to see if penn state is even up to the task of beating 2 awful opponents). Let's hope by bowl time we have some kind of decent venue and opponent. usc (the lesser usc) and miss state... jeez.

lose 2 games on the road in the final seconds by 4 points and you get the thing behind door #3. absurd.

btw, if osu goes unbeaten to play wisky, i feel pretty good they win that one. well "feel pretty good" might not be the best wording...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT