ADVERTISEMENT

Saw Art Garfunkel in concert Wednesday night

olelion

Jun 10, 2001
Tarpon Springs Fl
The guy is 75 yrs old. He cant quite get to the really high notes on some songs, but all in all it was a good concert. His voice got noticeably stronger as the show went on. Only downside was his reciting his poetry from some book he wrote or a book soon to be released

The guy is 75 yrs old. He cant quite get to the really high notes on some songs, but all in all it was a good concert. His voice got noticeably stronger as the show went on. Only downside was his reciting his poetry from some book he wrote or a book soon to be released
Bridge over Troubled Water is one of the best songs ever sung by anyone. I'm sure at 75 that his voice is not what it used to be, but he was one of the better vocalists out there!

Reactions: FHSPSU67
Bridge over Troubled Water is one of the best songs ever sung by anyone. I'm sure at 75 that his voice is not what it used to be, but he was one of the better vocalists out there!

He sang parts of it, and said it was a work in progress. I agree with you on the beauty of that song. At one point , between songs, he did say that music was very spiritual to him. He was a cantor as a lad in NYC

Saw him and Paul Simon play a "Thank you" concert at Rec Hall in 1965 (I think) to show appreciation to the Pen State students and DJ's at the student-run radio station for playing and promoting their 1st single "The Sounds of Silence." Until then nobody had ever heard of Simon & Garfunkel. They really put on a memorable show that evening. In his own right Simon was once a tremendous guitarist

Reactions: FHSPSU67
I think it was in 1966. I was a Freshman and had a date who was a senior. I suppose she was just interested in the show and I was out of my league. I remember how pure their music sounded. It's still one of the best concerts over ever seen.

I saw them in Rec Hall in 1968, just after the Bookends album came out (opening act -- PSU's own Woolly Thumpers), and again at the 1981 concert in Central Park.

Earlier, I was living in York and had a bunch of regular radio stations I used to listen to. I had on WKBW in Buffalo during the daytime, so it wasn't coming in very well. The announcer said, "the next song is by a group with the unfortunate name of Simon & Garfunkel." He then played the acoustic version of "Sounds of Silence."

I wanted to hear it with clearer quality, so I called up the local rock & roll station (WSBA) and said, "Do you have The Sounds of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel?" The guy must have thought it was a prank, and he hung up on me.

I saw them in Rec Hall in 1968, just after the Bookends album came out (opening act -- PSU's own Woolly Thumpers), and again at the 1981 concert in Central Park.

Earlier, I was living in York and had a bunch of regular radio stations I used to listen to. I had on WKBW in Buffalo during the daytime, so it wasn't coming in very well. The announcer said, "the next song is by a group with the unfortunate name of Simon & Garfunkel." He then played the acoustic version of "Sounds of Silence."

I wanted to hear it with clearer quality, so I called up the local rock & roll station (WSBA) and said, "Do you have The Sounds of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel?" The guy must have thought it was a prank, and he hung up on me.

Maybe he thought you meant THIS Simon and Gar Farkle, the Farkle twins, seated on the chair.
Easy misunderstanding.

71351-2013-4runners-here-see-brochure-farkel-ppm-family%5B1%5D.jpg

I liked much of their music, and was really disappointed when Simon fairly recently said the nasty stuff he said about Garfinkle holding him back. Seemed like an unnecessary and unprovoked shot at Garfinkle. But they will forever be 60s and early 70s soft rock icons.

His voice sure isn't what it used to be but he sings with tremendous emotion. His poetry is from a book based on his life experiences. IMO it helps supplement the emotional side of his singing. My wife said it was the best concert she has attended. I had mixed feelings. On one hand his voice is not what it once was. On the other hand I was able to see a legend sing some incredible songs in an incredibly heartfelt way. BTW that young man on the keyboard was quite good.

If you want to hear an incredible version of Sounds of Silence listen to this by Disturbed:

His voice sure isn't what it used to be but he sings with tremendous emotion. His poetry is from a book based on his life experiences. IMO it helps supplement the emotional side of his singing. My wife said it was the best concert she has attended. I had mixed feelings. On one hand his voice is not what it once was. On the other hand I was able to see a legend sing some incredible songs in an incredibly heartfelt way. BTW that young man on the keyboard was quite good.

If you want to hear an incredible version of Sounds of Silence listen to this by Disturbed:

His guitarist was also quite good. The "Disturbed" version of Sounds of Silence is extremely powerful. My grandson, who is 20, first brought it to my attention

That is good. Still can't figure out how a band called The Lemonheads could cover Mrs. Robinson and pull it off very well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT