ADVERTISEMENT

Sandwiches

93429364_1315485021985714_5398768844485427200_o.jpg

Hey buds! Get on down to Leone's Market in Windber, PA and have yourself the best sub on either side of the Mississippi! Don't forget the bucket peppers!

**PRO TIP: Get the olives and drizzle some of that olive oil/seasoning on your sub!** — at Leone's Market.

^Customer review.

93934365_525767791663112_4040733256738406400_o.jpg

^That's a half-sub. They are huge.

Leone's is a little "corner store" on the main drag in Windber. Two blocks from my place.

They truly are the best. I prefer the roast beef.

92214215_10216584260862063_8905512888941150208_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
Too many great sandwiches.

1 and 1a

Reuben, and Pastrami on rye.

2. Philly Beef

3. Chicago Beef (Close 3rd).

4. Barbeque Beef Brisket

Others include a Sasha, and Bagel and lox, and a turkey or beef sub.

Pastrami-Sandwich-1.jpg

I know it's not healthy, but every once in a while, I just have to have a good sandwich! Not easy in flyover land.
What, no Juicy Lucy on the list?!!!

I like Firehouse subs a lot. I haven't tried Jersey Mike's but I know people say they are good.
I like Firehouse, Jersey Mike’s and Penn Station. They’re all good and they each have their strong points. Of those three, I would put Firehouse at the bottom, but I do like their meatball sub.

In Harrisburg (L Paxton Twp), Sandwich Man on Allentown Blvd; near Paxtonia exit off of I81; Yigl Special one helluva sub. As for Cheesesteak, Philadelphia Steaks & Hoagies (4th Street) is #1, in 2nd place is South Philly Hoagies at 3108 Parkview Ln (near Hbg Mall).

In State College, my favorites for cheesesteak are CC Peppers (get extra meet) -- yummy; some like Bradley's or Troy's - just too dry for my taste.

My favorite for subs is Jersey Mike's (normally don't like chains), but I like thier variety of toppings & roll. As for deli sandwich, toss-up, Olde New York or Deli on Heister. Have not been to Deli for well over year because they are building a HIGH RISE APT BLDG on Garner Street Parking lot. And they took their Texas Chilli off of the menu (now seasonal). Chilli is not seasonal.

In Harrisburg (L Paxton Twp), Sandwich Man on Allentown Blvd; near Paxtonia exit off of I81; Yigl Special one helluva sub.

This is a man of refined taste and culture.

Try Jackson House sometime down in the city.

In Harrisburg (L Paxton Twp), Sandwich Man on Allentown Blvd; near Paxtonia exit off of I81; Yigl Special one helluva sub. As for Cheesesteak, Philadelphia Steaks & Hoagies (4th Street) is #1, in 2nd place is South Philly Hoagies at 3108 Parkview Ln (near Hbg Mall).

In State College, my favorites for cheesesteak are CC Peppers (get extra meet) -- yummy; some like Bradley's or Troy's - just too dry for my taste.

My favorite for subs is Jersey Mike's (normally don't like chains), but I like thier variety of toppings & roll. As for deli sandwich, toss-up, Olde New York or Deli on Heister. Have not been to Deli for well over year because they are building a HIGH RISE APT BLDG on Garner Street Parking lot. And they took their Texas Chilli off of the menu (now seasonal). Chilli is not seasonal.

LOL, agree. Chili is not seasonal in my house either.
Any one else remember the Stage Door Deli in State College?
They had some awesome sandwiches.
and pretty much the only thing the dinning hall made good, at that time were the....wait for it....wait for it...The Chicken Cosmo.
1467809_28410.jpg

The picture says its from the PSU library but I remember the Cosmo being on a roll not a bun and having shredded lettuce.

Too many great sandwiches.

1 and 1a

Reuben, and Pastrami on rye.

2. Philly Beef

3. Chicago Beef (Close 3rd).

4. Barbeque Beef Brisket

Others include a Sasha, and Bagel and lox, and a turkey or beef sub.

Pastrami-Sandwich-1.jpg

I know it's not healthy, but every once in a while, I just have to have a good sandwich! Not easy in flyover land.

I would leave my wife and family, and feel no guilt, for that sandwich.

This is a man of refined taste and culture.

Try Jackson House sometime down in the city.

Jackson House is the best Cheeseburger that you can't get. Only open for lunch and very little parking. Waited almost an hour for one. Had to take some leave time because of all of the L&I, H&W, Penndot, and PHEAA workers wanting lunch.

Second choice for best Harrisburg Hamburger is Glass Lounge (also, great steaks).

Jackson House is the best Cheeseburger that you can't get. Only open for lunch and very little parking. Waited almost an hour for one. Had to take some leave time because of all of the L&I, H&W, Penndot, and PHEAA workers wanting lunch.

Second choice for best Harrisburg Hamburger is Glass Lounge (also, great steaks).

Yes they are a PITA. I've only eaten there when "on vacation" in PA. Plan it out, call in the order around 10:30ish, get there well before noon and get out ASAP. Their Italian subs with that seasoned provolone... that's a big boy sub right there.

I miss Lio's on Linglestown Road near that Sandwich man, but it's been gone for a long time. Very sad.

Reactions: psu1969a
LOL, agree. Chili is not seasonal in my house either.
Any one else remember the Stage Door Deli in State College?
They had some awesome sandwiches.
and pretty much the only thing the dinning hall made good, at that time were the....wait for it....wait for it...The Chicken Cosmo.
1467809_28410.jpg

The picture says its from the PSU library but I remember the Cosmo being on a roll not a bun and having shredded lettuce.

Don't remember the Stage Door Deli, but I do remember and enjoyed many subs from Train Station (was next to Herlocher's and near McLanahan's).

Reactions: BBrown
Sam's Falafel on Cedar street adjacent to Zucotti Park NYC
Sam sets up at 11 and is gone by 3. Not there on weekends.
Best falafel in the financial district IMO and a value sandwich at just $4. The platter is an equally good value at just $6

o.jpg

o.jpg

o.jpg

Last edited:
What’s your favorite sandwich in Lexington?
If I want a sandwich I go to Jersey Mike’s. I will bounce around between a cheesesteak, the Italian, ham and cheese, and the roast beef. Other than Jersey Mike’s, I enjoy Windy Corner or Wallace Station, though I think Wallace Station is actually in Versailles.
What is your preference?

If I want a sandwich I go to Jersey Mike’s. I will bounce around between a cheesesteak, the Italian, ham and cheese, and the roast beef. Other than Jersey Mike’s, I enjoy Windy Corner or Wallace Station, though I think Wallace Station is actually in Versailles.
What is your preference?
Love the Cubano at Wallace Station....I also like the Italian sub at Puccini’s.

Love a good Cuban. The Sandwich Factory in Neffsville (Lancaster) has the best one I've found in this area. Sadly I have no way of linking a photo... guess I'll have to order one this week and post an update...

Am I the only one that finds Jersey Mike’s to be overrated? Their cheesesteaks are mediocre and their cold subs are on par with Subway but at a much higher price.

Am I the only one that finds Jersey Mike’s to be overrated? Their cheesesteaks are mediocre and their cold subs are on par with Subway but at a much higher price.
I've only been to one- the one at Mohegan Sun in CT- but I thought the same thing

For a chain, Jimmy John’s is good. They are more of a midwestern chain, as they are headquartered in Champaign, IL ( :eek: ). Anyway, they only have cold subs, but the rolls are good. They also have good dill pickles and chocolate chip cookies.

I like Firehouse, Jersey Mike’s and Penn Station. They’re all good and they each have their strong points. Of those three, I would put Firehouse at the bottom, but I do like their meatball sub.
I’m not a fan of Firehouse. Not enough meat. Penn Station i like but I don’t think I’ve ever had one and gotten out of the store without having to use their bathroom. Something in their sandwiches just doesn’t sit well with my belly.

For a chain, Jimmy John’s is good. They are more of a midwestern chain, as they are headquartered in Champaign, IL ( :eek: ). Anyway, they only have cold subs, but the rolls are good. They also have good dill pickles and chocolate chip cookies.
They have less meat on the subs than Subway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT