ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Ficken PAT kick

Safety Blitz

Jan 4, 2002
I know a PAT is no big deal, but my wife let out a cheer.
Sam is one of her favorite players because of the way he overcame the adversity of a terrible start to his PSU career to become an accomplished kicker. Prime example of a great PSU player. I hope he has continued success.

Sam is one of her favorite players because of the way he overcame the adversity of a terrible start to his PSU career to become an accomplished kicker. Prime example of a great PSU player. I hope he has continued success.
One of the announcers pointed out that Ficken never kicked in an NFL game before a couple of weeks ago and "every kick will be an adventure". Pretty harsh.

His 1st game with the Rams was no picnic. I believe he missed an Xtra pt and a field goal. I was at the gym here in LA and the game was on the monitors and the patrons were blasting him big time. Good to see him turning it around. Hope he has a long career in the NFL. Looking good tonight.

I'm always amazed at how bad football coaches are with decision making around things like timeouts, when to go for two, etc. Exhibit A is Dan Quinn kicking that last XP. Horrible decision that somehow goes unnoticed.

Reactions: michnittlion
I'm always amazed at how bad football coaches are with decision making around things like timeouts, when to go for two, etc. Exhibit A is Dan Quinn kicking that last XP. Horrible decision that somehow goes unnoticed.

How many NFL games have you coached? Super Bowls?

Thought so.

I think Mularkey going for 2 down by 5 with more than 14 minutes left was worse but I agree that Quinn should have gone for 2 there. Coaches are awful at that and time management IMO.

You don't need to be an NFL coach to realize that kicking the extra point is wrong in that situation!

Rams fail on 4th down so I guess it's not really going to matter anyway .................

You're the poster that was running over like a pre-teen girl to the Pitt and other boards about the scandal, correct?? OK then.

How many NFL games have you coached? Super Bowls?

Thought so.
Don't need to be a coach to understand basic math. NFL ( and college and high school) coaches understand X's and O's and motivating players better than I ever will. But unfortunately, many struggle with probability and statistics (and have too big of an ego to rely on those that do).

I can guarantee you that I've spent more time with statistics and game theory than 99% of football coaches, and it amazes me that NFL coaches don't have someone in their ear who does understand it (understandable in college with restrictions). Just like if I were an NFL coach, I'd also have a rules expert standing next to me that understands the nuances more than I do.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I was thinking the same thing.

Don't need to be a coach to understand basic math. NFL ( and college and high school) coaches understand X's and O's and motivating players better than I ever will. But unfortunately, many struggle with probability and statistics (and have too big of an ego to rely on those that do).

I can guarantee you that I've spent more time with statistics and game theory than 99% of football coaches, and it amazes me that NFL coaches don't have someone in their ear who does understand it (understandable in college with restrictions). Just like if I were an NFL coach, I'd also have a rules expert standing next to me that understands the nuances more than I do.

So you have all the information at your disposal that Dan Quinn has?? Interesting . . .

So you have all the information at your disposal that Dan Quinn has?? Interesting . . .

They scored with 5:48 left on the game to go up 12. You think that Dan Quinn has some secret information that tells him that 12/13 are key numbers in that situation in relation to 14? Even with a ~20-25% chance of success, going for two would be the right move to push it to 14. You're giving him way too much credit if you think he knows something that no one else does.

They scored with 5:48 left on the game to go up 12. You think that Dan Quinn has some secret information that tells him that 12/13 are key numbers in that situation in relation to 14? Even with a ~20-25% chance of success, going for two would be the right move to push it to 14. You're giving him way too much credit if you think he knows something that no one else does.
I mean, there's only one relevant piece of information for that decision - whether an extra point actually increases your chance of a tie or win. 1 point was irrelevant there but 2 could have been valuable. I agree it's weird when coaches don't seem to have that in mind.

I mean, there's only one relevant piece of information for that decision - whether an extra point actually increases your chance of a tie or win. 1 point was irrelevant there but 2 could have been valuable. I agree it's weird when coaches don't seem to have that in mind.
But it does go deeper than that...since Ficken could miss an XP, or you could have a safety or something, the XP does have >0 value. But it's weighing that value vs. the value of the "2" to push it to 14 (and obviously the chance of success of that conversion). In this instance, it's a complete no-brainer, and I don't have to have a Super Bowl on my resume to realize it.

But it does go deeper than that...since Ficken could miss an XP, or you could have a safety or something, the XP does have >0 value. But it's weighing that value vs. the value of the "2" to push it to 14 (and obviously the chance of success of that conversion). In this instance, it's a complete no-brainer, and I don't have to have a Super Bowl on my resume to realize it.
Yeah true, every point can be relevant, I was more or less agreeing that the probability is pretty straight-forward in that situation.

Yeah true, every point can be relevant, I was more or less agreeing that the probability is pretty straight-forward in that situation.
I know, I'm just trying to flex my knowledge for that day when an NFL coach is reading the board and looking for help. :)

Reactions: LionJim
Missing kicks early in career only to be the best kicker later on seems par for Sam's case. Wish him nothing bet the best, yet another example of a kid who never gave up and kept working and fighting. God bless him, WeAre!

I remember when Sam missed that FG vs UVA in 2012 my Dad saying, “ that kid is going to win a game for us sometime this season “.
He certainly did in 2012 and made walkoff winning FG’s to bookend JF’s first season in 2014.

Reactions: LionJim
yup

Hopefully he has Gould-like success in the NFL.

How many PSU kickers have kicked in the league, not Counting Preseason? Bahr, Gould, Ficken... Who am I missing?

Edit: Conway...

A "rules expert?" What use would that be?

A "rules expert?" What use would that be?
To be able to stop officials on the field as they're making a mistake, and to assist you with nuances of the rules that you can use to your advantage.

I remember when Sam missed that FG vs UVA in 2012 my Dad saying, “ that kid is going to win a game for us sometime this season “.
He certainly did in 2012 and made walkoff winning FG’s to bookend JF’s first season in 2014.
Reminds me of Aaron Harris's first game, he fumbled at the goal line and my dad immediately said, "Watch, Joe will give him the another chance." Dad was spot on as Harris scored later in the game. I sit here ten years after my father's passing and remember the delight he had on his face when Harris scored. Little things like that are good for the soul.

I suppose you never question anybody’s decision about anything, correct? Because, you know, you don’t ever have all the information at your disposal that they do. Please, for the love of God, stop with the “you’re not a coach so you can’t question anything a coach says or does” argument. Possibly the weakest of all arguments you could make.

I Love Sam Ficken
By Tmbgiants_3 on Jan 6, 2018, 11:40pm EST+

I HATE professional football. I am from Southern California. I LIVE for Penn State.

That is all.....I don’t know what else to say....Based on his history, (Virginia game and the awesomeness that followed) I hope to see more of him in the future (hopefully with the Rams, as that would make my life simpler).

Reactions: 78SweetRevenge
Sam Ficken's success and Penn State's success are so sweet. Go back to 2012 and remember the shit we got from all angles. Penn State deserved to be shut down, Penn State would never be back, Ficken's misses at UVA were karma for what the geniuses think happened at Penn State, etc. Sam Ficken has flourished. Penn State has flourished. The truth is coming out.

All those cocksuckers can eat shit.

gettyimages-898119508.jpg

la-sp-rams-report-ficken-20171221

12302370.jpg

899941686-playstation-fiesta-bowl-penn-state-v-washington.jpg.jpg

Sam Ficken's success and Penn State's success are so sweet. Go back to 2012 and remember the shit we got from all angles. Penn State deserved to be shut down, Penn State would never be back, Ficken's misses at UVA were karma for what the geniuses think happened at Penn State, etc. Sam Ficken has flourished. Penn State has flourished. The truth is coming out.

All those cocksuckers can eat shit.

gettyimages-898119508.jpg

la-sp-rams-report-ficken-20171221

12302370.jpg

899941686-playstation-fiesta-bowl-penn-state-v-washington.jpg.jpg
Decaf lattes Bob. Decaf.

Reactions: step.eng69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT