ADVERTISEMENT

Sad to say , but I don't see Penn State finishing

walleye38

Jul 29, 2003
any higher than 7 in pools. Maybe as low as ten. SEC wins by Alabama, LSU, might put LSU ahead of Penn State.

Obviously, once you don't make the CFP, the most important thing about the bowls is not the actual result itself, but getting ready for next year (extra practices for EVERYONE), putting a good image out there for the recruits, and sending off the graduating players with a nice trip.

How many guys who did not play a snap got a lot of practice and are better for it going into spring ball (which is now not far away at all)?

How many recruits did that performance help with? Who knows - its a better look to win than to lose.

Very helpful.

Is it a big deal to be #7 vs. #12 - of course not.

Does it really matter whether we finish 5-6-7-8-9-or 10?

The groupings are basically as follows.
CFP
Top 10
Top 20
Top 25
All else

Hence, it makes no difference whatsoever. I can be fodder for thisweeks message boards. After next Monday, I suspect nobody will care at all.

Reactions: PSUEngineer89
Obviously, once you don't make the CFP, the most important thing about the bowls is not the actual result itself, but getting ready for next year (extra practices for EVERYONE), putting a good image out there for the recruits, and sending off the graduating players with a nice trip.

How many guys who did not play a snap got a lot of practice and are better for it going into spring ball (which is now not far away at all)?

How many recruits did that performance help with? Who knows - its a better look to win than to lose.

Very helpful.

6-8 months of preseason buzz is probably the biggest thing that comes out of a win (especially with all the talk of young talent and that the team is poised to possibly take a step towards the CFP). Will also be ranked top 10 in most early rankings that come out...

any higher than 7 in pools. Maybe as low as ten. SEC wins by Alabama, LSU, might put LSU ahead of Penn State.
I care more about wins than rankings except if we have a chance for the playoffs. The fact is that after the OSU game, PSU was one of the five or six best teams in the country, and they proved that last night. I really believe that right now, with Porter, Washington and the missing o-linemen in the lineup, this team legitimately is a top 4 or 5 caliber team and could play with anybody; they improved so much after that Michigan game.

We are almost certainly going to be #7. Four CFP teams, Bama, Tenn above us. Other than that, who could end up higher than us? Washington? Tulane? I don't see it.

I would agree with the sentiment that anywhere between 5-10 is really all more or less the same. Basically, we ended the season in the top 10. That's cool and provides some momentum going into next year in terms of ranking.

Very helpful.

bolded stuff is why this game was certainly not 'meaningless' any coach who is worth a damn will tell you that. Got a portal WR commit right after the game, probably look a lot better to some guys who are planning to portal in the next few days as well.

bolded stuff is why this game was certainly not 'meaningless' any coach who is worth a damn will tell you that. Got a portal WR commit right after the game, probably look a lot better to some guys who are planning to portal in the next few days as well.
There can't be many other programs that have as many talented first and second year players as PSU does right now. The coaches just need to fill in the few holes that there are and we should be in really good shape for the foreseeable future. I really like how the o-line finally seems to have progressed. With that said, I still think that we need some more bulky interior d-linemen.

With the way they played last night with swagger and big plays all over the field, you would think that several portal kids would be very interested.

Can't see anyone voting 4-loss LSU that came into their bowl at #17 ahead of 2-loss PSU no matter how hard the SEC tries to spin LSU's great win over a now 6-loss Purdue team, that everyone knew was out matched talent wise and was without about their only difference maker (QB O'Connel). I don't even see LSU jumping over USC and some others that were ahead of them but lost, but we'll see in a week.

Can't see anyone voting 4-loss LSU that came into their bowl at #17 ahead of 2-loss PSU no matter how hard the SEC tries to spin LSU's great win over a now 6-loss Purdue team, that everyone knew was out matched talent wise and was without about their only difference maker (QB O'Connel). I don't even see LSU jumping over USC and some others that were ahead of them but lost, but we'll see in a week.
Purdue was without QB, top receiver, head coach, a couple assistants. And the “head coach” for the game is the brother of the former HC and is also leaving. It was a disaster for the bowl to even play the game,

PSU was royally screwed by the CFP Ranking Committee in the Final CFP Ranking - PSU was dropped 3 spots the final week (from 8 to 11) and out of the Top 10 despite being idle.... Utah was moved up three places in the final week into the Top 10 from 11 to 8 despite having an inferior record to PSU. Yeah those radical shifts in Rankings for those two teams in the Final Poll was shown for the screw-job to PSU it was via the actual on-field result in the Rose Bowl - complete joke how PSU has been consistently screwed in the Rankings while crap multi-loss SEC Teams (and Teams like Utah) were consistently given huge favoritism relative to their on-field results - just a complete joke. PSU is now tied for the 4th Best P5 Record in the nation at 11-2 and is going to be ranked ridiculously low relative to their on-field results.

any higher than 7 in pools.
200.gif
the simpsons swimming GIF

Reactions: bison13

Very helpful.

I think the result was important for seniors like Clifford, Brown, Mustipher, etc. It was also important to the younger players. It was also important for the fans. Just look at this board. Fans are pretty stoked about finishing 7th instead of 15th. Did you miss seeing all of these people celebrating?

PSU was beating the PAC 12 "two-time" champions when Rising went down. I suspect that PSU would have won going away even if Rising stayed healthy but they would have scored a few more. PSU was putting more and more pressure on them. I was just a matter of time when they broke, IMHO. The west coast media is lamenting Rising getting hurt but still say PSU was the better team.

All of that to say PSU is in great position for next year. It all comes down to Allar and the DTs IMHO. We showed we've got some good WRs last night regardless of the xfer pool.

If we win them all, or lose just one, we've got a great shot regardless of the polls.

PSU was royally screwed by the CFP Ranking Committee in the Final CFP Ranking - PSU was dropped 3 spots the final week (from 8 to 11) and out of the Top 10 despite being idle.... Utah was moved up three places in the final week into the Top 10 from 11 to 8 despite having an inferior record to PSU. Yeah those radical shifts in Rankings for those two teams in the Final Poll was shown for the screw-job to PSU it was via the actual on-field result in the Rose Bowl - complete joke how PSU has been consistently screwed in the Rankings while crap multi-loss SEC Teams (and Teams like Utah) were consistently given huge favoritism relative to their on-field results - just a complete joke. PSU is now tied for the 4th Best P5 Record in the nation at 11-2 and is going to be ranked ridiculously low relative to their on-field results.
It's pretty difficult to see how PSU was screwed when they got possibly the most prestigious bowl game outside of the CFP. PSU will probably finish #7 in the final rankings AP & Coaches rankings. They only teams you can possibly argue should be ranked lower are Alabama & Tennessee. Tennessee beat two top teams - Clemson & Alabama. You could argue that Alabama's only top win Was Kansas State and we should be ranked above them but you're really picking straws.

PSU was beating the PAC 12 "two-time" champions when Rising went down. I suspect that PSU would have won going away even if Rising stayed healthy but they would have scored a few more. PSU was putting more and more pressure on them. I was just a matter of time when they broke, IMHO. The west coast media is lamenting Rising getting hurt but still say PSU was the better team.

All of that to say PSU is in great position for next year. It all comes down to Allar and the DTs IMHO. We showed we've got some good WRs last night regardless of the xfer pool.

If we win them all, or lose just one, we've got a great shot regardless of the polls.
I agree that PSU was looking goo to win even if Rising didn't get hurt but I think it would have been a dogfight.

Next year depends on who stays and who we can pick up in the portal. Hopefully a few more PSU candidates will enter now that the bowls are over. No offense to the NC State WR but he was rated 40th best WR in the portal.

Reactions: Obliviax
Not sure it matters. They're solidly top 10, but based on those playoff semifinal games, PSU is still a significant distance from the top echelon teams.

Given where PSU was starting from, it was a great season and the program is on the rise again. Can't ask for anything more.

Not sure it matters. They're solidly top 10, but based on those playoff semifinal games, PSU is still a significant distance from the top echelon teams.
Every year is different so who knows how 2023 plays out.

This year there were no dominant teams. how do you figure we’re a significant distance from top teams? We were beating OSU mid 4th quarter. You think there’s a significant gap between us and TCU? I think we’d be favored if we played tomorrow.

Every year is different so who knows how 2023 plays out.

This year there were no dominant teams. how do you figure we’re a significant distance from top teams? We were beating OSU mid 4th quarter. You think there’s a significant gap between us and TCU? I think we’d be favored if we played tomorrow.
We are far better now than five games ago. Would love another shot to reverse the two losses to the Favored Two. Alas, can never happen.

I agree that PSU was looking goo to win even if Rising didn't get hurt but I think it would have been a dogfight.

Next year depends on who stays and who we can pick up in the portal. Hopefully a few more PSU candidates will enter now that the bowls are over. No offense to the NC State WR but he was rated 40th best WR in the portal.
I think that there is a good possibility that Rising would have thrown at least one more interception

Reactions: The Spin Meister
So, one interesting ranking question is if the Big Ten gets a fourth team ranked in the final poll. The best and only realistic candidate is Minnesota at 9-4 and it depends on how much they drop bowl losing teams (e.g. UCLA, South Carolina, Texas, etc) plus how much other similar teams (e.g. 9-4 teams like Duke, Pitt or "good" G5 teams like Fresno St) are regarded. They will be close by my back of the envelop is that they will probably be right in the mix and I'm going to guess they end up exactly at #25.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT