ADVERTISEMENT

Saban again tests positive, this time looks like the real thing and not a false positive...

This is why I believe our overall performance this year is an aberration and why I give little credence to the final outcome of this season. We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes at practice, training, meetings, etc in terms of Covid compliance and how it impacts the team (coaches included). It’s a frustrating product to watch and some elements, eg sEcondary play, have been perennial issues, but fans should take a step back from the ledge.

This is why I believe our overall performance this year is an aberration and why I give little credence to the final outcome of this season. We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes at practice, training, meetings, etc in terms of Covid compliance and how it impacts the team (coaches included). It’s a frustrating product to watch and some elements, eg sEcondary play, have been perennial issues, but fans should take a step back from the ledge.
Couldn’t agree more. Maybe it’s a Covid one off and maybe it isn’t but the staff certainly deserves one season of normal preparation before we decide

College football fell into the sports wastebasket that is 2020 for me.

LdN

It's a bad year overall but I guess if all these guys come out the other side healthy that's good enough.

With two games left in the season and possibly having the best team in college football Nick Saban will press his doctors to do everything possible to have him on that sideline for the Auburn game.

With two games left in the season and possibly having the best team in college football Nick Saban will press his doctors to do everything possible to have him on that sideline for the Auburn game.
He'll coach in a hazmat suit in a plastic bubble on the sidelines.

Reactions: RU31trap
He'll coach in a hazmat suit in a plastic bubble on the sidelines.
They'll drop him inside this from a chopper.

Nobody in their right mind would fly a helicopter above the crowd at a College football game ......

Haha. Kind of what I was referring to. While coaching this summer I saw some parents who sat in those watching the game.

Haha. Kind of what I was referring to. While coaching this summer I saw some parents who sat in those watching the game.
The travel soccer mom special. I guess the added bonus would be you can zip it up and not hear the parents next to you yelling at the refs.

College football fell into the sports wastebasket that is 2020 for me.

LdN
In all seriousness, I'll be very surprised if CF completes the season. Covid - especially after the Thanksgiving Holiday - is going to blow up bigtime with all of the travelling and family gatherings. I think we just need to put an asterisk next to 2020 and move on to 2021.

Reactions: Nittany_93
In all seriousness, I'll be very surprised if CF completes the season. Covid - especially after the Thanksgiving Holiday - is going to blow up bigtime with all of the travelling and family gatherings. I think we just need to put an asterisk next to 2020 and move on to 2021.
Yeah the Big 12 is only playing 4 games this weekend. So much for all of the guys crying that the B1G didn't build in any flexibility. The fat lady is warming up her pipes.

Heard on the radio before the Nebraska game that the first full team meeting with all coaches and players occurred on that Tuesday. They put chairs 6 ft apart to hold the meeting. Can't imagine how fragmented everything has been this fall. I wouldn't doubt CJF is being incredibly careful, maybe more so than other head coaches, but it has to be difficult to run a program safely this fall.

Reactions: Nittany_93
Call him by the correct name. Or else Rick Karle WVTM 13 will show up at your doorstep.

From his Facebook post:

"Dear my media brethren,

I hope you are doing well.
I know it's a hectic time for you, as you are working harder than ever, fighting deadlines, and spending time away from your families.
You are facing pressure from your bosses, criticism from fans and yes, even more deadlines.
Whether you are a writer, a radio announcer, a podcaster, a blogger, a social media expert or a TV reporter or anchor, I appreciate what you do.
I get it.
I'm one of you.

But something's been eating at me for... well... about thirteen years, and it came to light again today as I listened to Coach Saban's pre-Rose Bowl news conference, which was held virtually today as the coach fielded questions from across America while he was stationed in Tuscaloosa.

You see, I have a problem with reporters addressing Coach Saban as "Nick" when asking the coach a question if they don't know him well.
I have heard this since the coach arrived in Tuscaloosa in 2007.
Questions like, "Nick, can you tell me about the progression of your quarterback?"
Or, "Nick, what have you learned about your team this year?"
Today I even heard a young reporter get on the call and start her question with, "Hi, Saban!" (yes, it could have been nerves from a young reporter- completely understood if it was, as we have all been in that position- I know the coach can be intimidating).

I've come up with a proposal for all of us media people to follow as we move into a new year.
How about simply calling the head football coach at the University Of Alabama, "Coach Saban?"
I think the man has earned that much respect.

Oh, I get it.
Some reporters call the coach "Nick" in hopes that the coach perceives himself and the reporter on equal footing.

Who, in my eyes, can call Coach Saban "Nick?"
Miss Terry can.
Lifelong friends can.
His current assistants can.
Perhaps a few in the media world can call him "Nick":
Chris Lowe, Cecil Hurt, perhaps Finebaum or Rece Davis or Tom Rinaldi, you know, people who know him well.
But the last time I checked, none of the above are any of us.

Think about it: Why does almost every person in our state refer to Paul "Bear" Bryant as "Coach Bryant?"
Respect.
Calling him any name other than Coach Bryant is showing disrespect.

Can you imagine a reporter attending a Coach Bryant news conference back in the 70's and saying, "Hey Paul, can you update us on that injury to Barry Krauss?", or "Hey Bear, can you give us an update on Steadman Shealy?"
Katy bar the door!

And if a reporter asked a question to Coach Stallings after he won the national championship in New Orleans starting with, "Hey Gene..."
Coach Stallings would have given the reporter that Coach Stallings look and Heaven knows what would have happened.

So how about we make a New Year's resolution to address the greatest coach in the history of college football as "Coach Saban" (and yes, simply "Coach" will do)?
And yes, the same goes with Coach K, Coach Belechick, Coach Kelly, Coach Williams, Coach Harsin and any other coach (especially those who have been around for decades).

It's the most proper, most classy and most respectful thing to do when in news conference settings.

I know that we reporters will be making our own decisions on how to address the Alabama football coach (and other respected coaches), but I hope that you will consider my proposal.

Keep up the great work and keep grinding, and let's all look forward to 2021 when we address these great coaches as "Coach".

Oh, but there is some good news:

You can call me "Rick"."

Picture courtesy UA Athletics/Rose Bowl

Call him by the correct name. Or else Rick Karle WVTM 13 will show up at your doorstep.

From his Facebook post:

"Dear my media brethren,

I know it's a hectic time for you, as you are working harder than ever, fighting deadlines, and spending time away from your families.
You are facing pressure from your bosses, criticism from fans and yes, even more deadlines.
Whether you are a writer, a radio announcer, a podcaster, a blogger, a social media expert or a TV reporter or anchor, I appreciate what you do.
I get it.
I'm one of you.

But something's been eating at me for... well... about thirteen years, and it came to light again today as I listened to Coach Saban's pre-Rose Bowl news conference, which was held virtually today as the coach fielded questions from across America while he was stationed in Tuscaloosa.

You see, I have a problem with reporters addressing Coach Saban as "Nick" when asking the coach a question if they don't know him well.
Questions like, "Nick, can you tell me about the progression of your quarterback?"
Today I even heard a young reporter get on the call and start her question with, "Hi, Saban!" (yes, it could have been nerves from a young reporter- completely understood if it was, as we have all been in that position- I know the coach can be intimidating).

I've come up with a proposal for all of us media people to follow as we move into a new year.
How about simply calling the head football coach at the University Of Alabama, "Coach Saban?"

Oh, I get it.
Some reporters call the coach "Nick" in hopes that the coach perceives himself and the reporter on equal footing.

Miss Terry can.
Lifelong friends can.
Chris Lowe, Cecil Hurt, perhaps Finebaum or Rece Davis or Tom Rinaldi, you know, people who know him well.

Think about it: Why does almost every person in our state refer to Paul "Bear" Bryant as "Coach Bryant?"
Respect.

Can you imagine a reporter attending a Coach Bryant news conference back in the 70's and saying, "Hey Paul, can you update us on that injury to Barry Krauss?", or "Hey Bear, can you give us an update on Steadman Shealy?"
Katy bar the door!

And if a reporter asked a question to Coach Stallings after he won the national championship in New Orleans starting with, "Hey Gene..."
Coach Stallings would have given the reporter that Coach Stallings look and Heaven knows what would have happened.

So how about we make a New Year's resolution to address the greatest coach in the history of college football as "Coach Saban" (and yes, simply "Coach" will do)?
And yes, the same goes with Coach K, Coach Belechick, Coach Kelly, Coach Williams, Coach Harsin and any other coach (especially those who have been around for decades).

It's the most proper, most classy and most respectful thing to do when in news conference settings.

I know that we reporters will be making our own decisions on how to address the Alabama football coach (and other respected coaches), but I hope that you will consider my proposal.

Keep up the great work and keep grinding, and let's all look forward to 2021 when we address these great coaches as "Coach".

You can call me "Rick"."

1jPx.gif

From his Facebook post:

"Dear my media brethren,

I get it.
I'm one of you.

Oh, I get it.

Miss Terry can.
Lifelong friends can.

Respect.

Katy bar the door!

You can call me "Rick"."

I think I'll call the writer "Dick."

From his Facebook post:

"Dear my media brethren,

I get it.
I'm one of you.

Oh, I get it.

Miss Terry can.
Lifelong friends can.

Respect.

Katy bar the door!

You can call me "Rick"."

Saban doesnt shy away from speaking his mind. I'm sure if it bothered him, the reporters would hear about it.

Perhaps respect has become passe'. My HS coach died when I was 62, I never imagined calling him anything other than coach.

Where I grew up we didn't call any of our coaches, "coach" we called them "mr." or "ms."

Always felt that was more respectful. I don't really care for teachers who are coaches to have their kids in class call them 'coach' they should be mr/ms in the classroom

Reactions: Connorpozlee
Perhaps respect has become passe'. My HS coach died when I was 62, I never imagined calling him anything other than coach.
Your high school coach was your coach. Nick Saban is not coaching the reporters.
It’s a nonsensical position by the writer to take, but I guess he has to throw an article out there.

Last edited:
Your high school coach was your coach. Nick Savanna is not coaching the reporters.
It’s a nonsensical position by the writer to take, but I guess he has to throw an article out there.
I understand. I was raised to refer to anyone who was an adult as "Mr. or Mrs." I do understand his point about a young snot nosed reporter calling Coach Saban "Nick." Perhaps I just see it as a pet peeve. For me it's like people parking in a handicap zone or leaving their shopping carts all over the parking lot. My new favorite (and its always a woman) talking on her cell phone at the grocery check out.

I understand. I was raised to refer to anyone who was an adult as "Mr. or Mrs." I do understand his point about a young snot nosed reporter calling Coach Saban "Nick." Perhaps I just see it as a pet peeve. For me it's like people parking in a handicap zone or leaving their shopping carts all over the parking lot. My new favorite (and its always a woman) talking on her cell phone at the grocery check out.
I’m all for the Mr. and Mrs. when it is a young person in relation to an older person. When it is two adults working together, I think first name is fine. Completely different from parking in a handicap spot, where you are cause an unnecessary inconvenience for somebody else.
Honestly, I don’t think I ever referred to one of my coaches as “coach”. Always “Mr.” but never “coach”.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT