ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers board MIA

I've seen him and I don't think he challenges for a NC. R12? That I can buy.

A guy ranked number 1 in his weight class is theoretically on pace to contend for a national championship when he is a senior. So much more goes into execution, but the basic premise isn’t unfair at all.

Just curious and obviously being ignorant of it all, has PSU and Rutgers always had such animus between them? Or, is this just since the Suriano "controversy" that this has developed?
I think the salt goes back a good way.

Wasn't Campalotatno's loss to Mike Evans AFTER he transferred to Blair Academy?
I think Latisky from Tamaqua beat him at Dapper Dan after elbowing him in the face or something like that. Thought Garth went football somewhere and came to PSU and was brought up in wrestling talk.

I think Latisky from Tamaqua beat him at Dapper Dan after elbowing him in the face or something like that. Thought Garth went football somewhere and came to PSU and was brought up in wrestling talk.
Yes though DD is a postseason exhibition so it didn't count on his record.

After seeing Camp wrestle McIntosh, or more specifically Morgan's ankles and knees while scrambling, maybe Lakitsky was smart to get in the first shot and make it count.

Lakitsky went the Juco route, then to PSU supposedly for both football and wrestling, though he barely was on campus before transferring again, IIRC Purdue, where he disappeared altogether.

Reactions: danoftw
A handful don’t represent the majority.
True....but it was more than a "handful" and there were tweets from Rutgers Athletics with the same pictures. PSU fans were verbally harassed and taunted with disgusting signs etc. If it was a handful that were condemned by other RU fans and tailgaters, that would be different. Unfortunately, RU fans, security and officials looked the other way until after PSU fans brought it to light.

True....but it was more than a "handful" and there were tweets from Rutgers Athletics with the same pictures. PSU fans were verbally harassed and taunted with disgusting signs etc. If it was a handful that were condemned by other RU fans and tailgaters, that would be different. Unfortunately, RU fans, security and officials looked the other way until after PSU fans brought it to light.
Individuals make up a fan base, and individuals are accountable. What happened at Rutgers was atrocious, and deserved an institutional apology, which was delivered, so good for them.

I've seen enough bad behavior by our own fans, and other team's fans to know Rutgers does not have a monopoly. We also have endured enough guilt-by-association remarks, immature as they are, directed at all Penn State fans for the past 6 years.

I've also seen some of the most amazing fan behavior in my nearly 46 years since my matriculation days...from all fan bases, though mostly what I see, close up, are Penn State fans. The mantra Success with Honor should mean something to fans too.

Individuals make up a fan base, and individuals are accountable. What happened at Rutgers was atrocious, and deserved an institutional apology, which was delivered, so good for them.

I've seen enough bad behavior by our own fans, and other team's fans to know Rutgers does not have a monopoly. We also have endured enough guilt-by-association remarks, immature as they are, directed at all Penn State fans for the past 6 years.

I've also seen some of the most amazing fan behavior in my nearly 46 years since my matriculation days...from all fan bases, though mostly what I see, close up, are Penn State fans. The mantra Success with Honor should mean something to fans too.
That's fine. He asked where the bad feelings started, and I explained my feelings. I don't expect everyone to have the same reaction. But when RU athletics tweets pictures of Ped State shirts, I think that is beyond a few bad fans. It is a total lack of institutional awareness.

Reactions: Ban Basketball
That's fine. He asked where the bad feelings started, and I explained my feelings. I don't expect everyone to have the same reaction. But when RU athletics tweets pictures of Ped State shirts, I think that is beyond a few bad fans. It is a total lack of institutional awareness.
As much as I liked roar lions' response, I also respect and understand your position.

In all honesty, I would likely look at it just as you do. That's why I have such a sour taste in my mouth for Minnesota and Iowa fans. The few (I say many) can, in fact, wreck it for all. It's the silent ones who can tell the vocal ones to shut their mouths.

I remember the game well, though do not remember RU Athletics posting any offensive tweets. Yes, from a few immature RU fans, but not from Athletics.

It’s not as if the AD approves every tweet. Some low level beauracrat is responsible for the twitter account and used no discretion.

I remember the game well, though do not remember RU Athletics posting any offensive tweets. Yes, from a few immature RU fans, but not from Athletics.

I couldn't find te original tweets, as they were deleted. But multiple articles reported it...

"As the Daily News reported Sunday night, some photos of fans wearing shirts saying "Beat Ped State" were posted on the school's Twitter account."

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...ame-article-1.1940520?barcprox=true&cid=bitly

As much as I liked roar lions' response, I also respect and understand your position.

In all honesty, I would likely look at it just as you do. That's why I have such a sour taste in my mouth for Minnesota and Iowa fans. The few (I say many) can, in fact, wreck it for all. It's the silent ones who can tell the vocal ones to shut their mouths.
Truth be known, I was a Pitt disliker in college and have bad-mouthed other fan bases over the years, not just Pitt, and particularly Michigan and Ohio State (baring my soul here). I understand the emotions...not the ugly, angry, mean-spirited stuff, just the lack of respect stuff, so they (other school's fans) got knocked down a peg or two in my book. Then I started traveling more, especially for wrestling, but also for football. Fans are similar wherever I've been. Now I see things a bit differently...there's bad, there's good.

A guy ranked number 1 in his weight class is theoretically on pace to contend for a national championship when he is a senior. So much more goes into execution, but the basic premise isn’t unfair at all.

A bridge too far, imo. .

First, the #1 ranking is not consensus by any means. Intermat has him at #3 among seniors at 138, which isn't unfair. Then you have all the others in surrounding years to think about, as well as movement around weight classes down the road.

Second, he hasn't even won NJ states one time in his high school career. Rutgers has guys who were four time champs in NJ that haven't reached the top of the podium at NCAAs, which lends some perspective.

So pumping the brakes on the NC projections seems in order.

Reactions: WeAreWrestling
was there, also. it's the last time we'll ever set foot in that stadium. flat out the worst experience we've
ever had at an away game, and we've been to o$u & um many times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT