ADVERTISEMENT

Running backs at PSU

kijanacat

Nov 21, 2015
I have been a Penn State fan since 1967 and used to have seats in section EE. Then when my kids got of age I spent Saturdays with them but still went to several games with family in tow.

The only great back I missed was Lenny Moore. I do remember when I lived in Baltimore that some NFL players interviewed on radio said he the greatest player ever in the NFL. That was before the modern offenses, however.

Saquon is undoubtedly the best we have ever had. Lydell Mitchell had moves but not great flat out speed. Franco Harris was his fullback and not the featured back. DJ Dozier, Curt Warner and Kijana Carter were also great in their own ways but none had SB's blend of skills. It is a shame his talent is not being showcased properly and I certainly hope he achieves at the next level. He is genuinely a model Penn Stater.

I have been a Penn State fan since 1967 and used to have seats in section EE. Then when my kids got of age I spent Saturdays with them but still went to several games with family in tow.

The only great back I missed was Lenny Moore. I do remember when I lived in Baltimore that some NFL players interviewed on radio said he the greatest player ever in the NFL. That was before the modern offenses, however.

Saquon is undoubtedly the best we have ever had. Lydell Mitchell had moves but not great flat out speed. Franco Harris was his fullback and not the featured back. DJ Dozier, Curt Warner and Kijana Carter were also great in their own ways but none had SB's blend of skills. It is a shame his talent is not being showcased properly and I certainly hope he achieves at the next level. He is genuinely a model Penn Stater.
I love Saquon and feel he is one of the all-time greats at PSU. That said, I don't understand what would cause anyone to rank him higher than Kijana or Curt Warner. Also, similar to the OP, I have been told by some old-timers that Lenny Moore takes a back seat to nobody. When you get to the level of these 4 guys IMO an equally valid argument can be made for any of the 4 being the best.

Reactions: razpsu and Cpeplion
I love Saquon and feel he is one of the all-time greats at PSU. That said, I don't understand what would cause anyone to rank him higher than Kijana or Curt Warner. Also, similar to the OP, I have been told by some old-timers that Lenny Moore takes a back seat to nobody. When you get to the level of these 4 guys IMO an equally valid argument can be made for any of the 4 being the best.

This is when I would look at what did those players do to elevate their team(s) to greatness...Kijana, Warner, Moore, and Barkley...I would honestly have a hard time saying Barkley was better than the other 3 because of what they helped their teams accomplish.

Reactions: razpsu

I agree. The weakness of SB compared to some of the other successful backs to play at PSU in my opinion is his habit of not sticking his nose up into the contact and getting the extra yard. Almost always looking to go wide, and looking for the big play.

Compare that to Enis, Hunt, Mitchel, and even Royster. Our current OL and running scheme are pretty pathetic, but SB still needs to avoid as much negative yardage as he can and some of it is on him....

Last edited:
Reactions: gslachta and razpsu
SB is very Barry Sanders like in that regard with negative plays and the occasional big play.

One thing to consider is getting the handoff in the RPO without a lead fullback like the other backs had I feel is a disadvantage to SB.

Our other great backs had better run-oriented offensive linemen as well frequently having All-Americans in front of them. Barkley has not had that luxury.

I feel Barkley is the best ever because I can honestly say that he has made runs that our other great backs could not have made.

SB is very Barry Sanders like in that regard with negative plays and the occasional big play.

One thing to consider is getting the handoff in the RPO without a lead fullback like the other backs had I feel is a disadvantage to SB.

Our other great backs had better run-oriented offensive linemen as well frequently having All-Americans in front of them. Barkley has not had that luxury.

I feel Barkley is the best ever because I can honestly say that he has made runs that our other great backs could not have made.
The comments that there is little to choose from all those great players is certainly spot on. I just like SB's combination of skills. Also, our other players played on established programs and SB has helped rebuild.

As far as the other comments, it reminds of the old regime, now long gone. They were coached to get the definite four yards and not to concentrate on the home run. Seems we now have players who go for the home run rather than the singles. Just a different philosophy, maybe adapted to our level of talent.

Reactions: JJTopp99
The thing with Carter is I don't think we ever got to see his full potential. That offense had so many weapons and scored often that he was never truly featured. He never had a season with 200 carries. In 2016 Barkley had 272 carries and he is on pace for another 200+ carry season.

I think with a different NFL outcome he would be held in much higher regard.

Reactions: razpsu
You see where they hand Ricky the ball. Not at the LOS completely stopped with 320 lb. DT's and 245 lb. LB's waiting to tackle him for a loss!

If Saquan had the OL these guys ran behind I doubt you be saying that. Saquan had the pleasure to run behind some of worst OL in PSU history.
Oh and the RPO sucks!!!

Reactions: gslachta
I agree. The weakness of SB compared to some of the other successful backs to play at PSU in my opinion is his habit of not sticking his nose up into the contact and getting the extra yard. Always looking to go wide, and looking for the big play.

I feel like SB did a better job of this against Mich St. last week. There were a couple plays where the hole wasn't there and he just put his head down and got a yard or 2. In past games he would have turned around looking for an opening outside.

I hear what you're saying, but I think he needs another year for us to truly judge where he sits in the pantheon of great PSU backs. I can't rank him up there without a national championship or undefeated season. :)

I hear what you're saying, but I think he needs another year for us to truly judge where he sits in the pantheon of great PSU backs. I can't rank him up there without a national championship or undefeated season. :)
Jeez

And you also can't possibly have eyes and a brain.

Forgot one at least: Charlie Pitman was the featured back in 1967, 68 and 69!

Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders, Dick Butkus, Archie Griffin, Eddie George, etc. never went undefeated in college and never won a national championship or even a Super Bowl, nope, can't rate them up there among the best ever to play their position. No sir just can't do it. Sheesz.

Only if the OLine makes room. If SB can’t find space neither would have Lenny, KiJana, Curt, or will Slade.
When Charlie Pittman, Lydel and Franco played, I think our biggest O-lineman was about 240 lbs. We played Missouri (Big 8) in the Orange Bowl one year and they had a Tackle who was 280 lbs playing opposite Mike Reid. Reid was listed about 240 but met him and he seemed bigger than that. We destroyed that offense and won 10-3 (if I remember correctly).

I want Saquon to get the rock all day on Saturday; both handoffs and passes. I would like him to get 150+ yards rushing and another 100 yards receiving . He needs to make a push for the Heisman, and Franklin should help him do it. The Lions' attractiveness as a bowl prospect would be enhanced by having the Heisman winner and, more importantly, this great kid deserves the award..

And you also can't possibly have eyes and a brain.
Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders, Dick Butkus, Archie Griffin, Eddie George, etc. never went undefeated in college and never won a national championship or even a Super Bowl, nope, can't rate them up there among the best ever to play their position. No sir just can't do it. Sheesz.
Apparently some of you don't understand emoticons. I was kidding. He's the best hands down given how bad his OL is and what he's done in spite of it. His impact on the game even when not carrying the ball has been unlike any I've seen or can remember with teams selling out just to stop him. I just would like to have him around for another year.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle

Unfortunately Barkley didn’t do what he needed to do this year against at least 4 teams as a running back. So Warner is still the best running back that we have had. I do put Barkley with carter and Mitchell however.

Reactions: Cpeplion
Unfortunately Barkley didn’t do what he needed to do this year against at least 4 teams as a running back. So Warner is still the best running back that we have had. I do put Barkley with carter and Mitchell however.
Don't forget Warner had Blacklege at qb, Jon Williams at fullback, Kevin Baugh and Kenny at wideouts. Plus a very good offensive line. But I rank Warner very highly and can't really argue against him. Also, he was almost milk carton material the first half of his senior year. We became the first team in NCAA ever to win the title with the nation's most difficult schedule in Curt's senior year.

Don't forget Warner had Blacklege at qb, Jon Williams at fullback, Kevin Baugh and Kenny at wideouts. Plus a very good offensive line. But I rank Warner very highly and can't really argue against him. Also, he was almost milk carton material the first half of his senior year. We became the first team in NCAA ever to win the title with the nation's most difficult schedule in Curt's senior year.
Warner was great. But he cried openly after PSU won the opener his senior year but he didn't get the ball much. Saquon has either not gotten the ball much or gotten it with almost no chance for positive yards numerous times. In my view he has a right to be upset over how he's been managed and I haven't heard a peep other than that he has to do better. He gets a ton of credit for that.

Yes he really made up the ground in the latter months when it was colder and he just made things happen in the big games! Remember we had the hardest schedule in the country that year and also remember he lost some great offensive linemen that have ever played at psu the year before.
I remember saying that Arrington wasn’t the best linebacker in the early 2000’s because at that time he was god. Everyone thought I was crazy for saying that.Now after time has passed and more linebackers have played and looking back at our all time greats he is in the top 5.

Warner was great. But he cried openly after PSU won the opener his senior year but he didn't get the ball much. Saquon has either not gotten the ball much or gotten it with almost no chance for positive yards numerous times. In my view he has a right to be upset over how he's been managed and I haven't heard a peep other than that he has to do better. He gets a ton of credit for that.
He does. Larry Johnson said the same thing before 2002. Then said it again in the bowl game.

Flunking out of Allegheny college carries more weight in the business world than graduating from Pitt.

Last edited:
Carter was straight ahead fast but he couldn’t block or catch like Saquon. In fact, I’d take Richie Anderson over Ki-Jana. If Richie had that ‘93-94 Oline he’d have the same type of stats.

Carter was straight ahead fast but he couldn’t block or catch like Saquon. In fact, I’d take Richie Anderson over Ki-Jana. If Richie had that ‘93-94 Oline he’d have the same type of stats.
Richie could have had that line...

Well yes but we had Choo choo mcoo. He was exciting his freshmen year but then really didn’t do much afterwards

And the first team to win an NCAA title with more passing yards than rushing. A Joe Paterno-coached team did that.

Air paterno. Yep. May have cost Warner the Heisman I remember it well. Penn State would take the national championship any day over an individual award! I feel bad for Barkley but it is the system we have and I think with some tweaks the next three years we will play or win a national championship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT