ADVERTISEMENT

Rugby

psu1969a

May 19, 2013
PSU men's and women's teams playing for national championships this afternoon on NBC stations; check your local listings.

Normally, I wouldn't post spoilers but this time I think it's warranted. Your post gives the impression that both the men's and the women's teams will be in championship games this afternoon. Unfortunately, both squads were eliminated this morning, so if you are tuning in the championships to see Penn State, you're going to be disappointed.

Go Bears! This is one sport where the Bears have had considerable success. The time the 'Furd forfeited to us rather than "risk injury" is still one of my fondest memories.

Edit: Cal beat UCLA 31-7 to win the NCAA Title in Rugby 7's. Cal won the Rugby 15's title earlier this year. Not sure that double has ever been pulled off before. We just won the NCAA title in Mens' Crew (Varsity 8's) as well. I'd trade it all for one frickin' Rose Bowl appearance. Sigh...

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiTownLion
Strangely enough, Kutztown State (also known as the Golden Bears) frequently fields a very good rugby team.

Normally, I wouldn't post spoilers but this time I think it's warranted. Your post gives the impression that both the men's and the women's teams will be in championship games this afternoon. Unfortunately, both squads were eliminated this morning, so if you are tuning in the championships to see Penn State, you're going to be disappointed.

Unfortunately, the publication that I read was wrong.

Unfortunately, the publication that I read was wrong.

Well, if you tuned into the first afternoon show at 1 pm, you actually got to see a replay of the morning game where the PSU men were eliminated by UCLA. UCLA owned the first half, we put on a late comeback that fell short in the second.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT