ADVERTISEMENT

Route 15 from Frederick MD to Warrenton Va

what type of road is this stretch - ie congestion etc?

It really depends on what time of day you're passing through that stretch. As you cross the Potomac into Virginia and drive south to the Leesburg area is the toughest stretch. (2 lane road) The Leesburg area is getting more and more congested, and is becoming a more heavily traveled route for people heading south who are trying to avoid I-270, the Capital Beltway, and I-95. Try to avoid rush hour times if possible, but due to continued development there is heavier traffic now than in the past at all times of day.

Nice 2 lane road. It has many horse farms owned by the Washington elite so it has lots of police patrols. As you get close to Warrington bypass, it gets a little congested. Nice to travel if you stay within the speed limit. Very scenic. Gets you away from crazy congested 95.

as others have said - scenic, mostly two lane road. Morning rush hour down to leesburg is tough. That said, it's generally still better than taking 495/95 in the DC area.

Depending on your travels, Some nice antique shops around Lucketts, VA(not far into VA) and wineries from the VA line down to Haymarket area. Also a great (and fairly big) microbrew pub just north of Lucketts called Vanish.

Reactions: PSJimbo
Drove on 15 for 1st time today. Its Pretty much like what others have said above. I'm in Ashburn area for son's tourney. Any recommendations as far as great places to eat/drink around Ashburn?

I live in Culpeper and my wife teaches at Liberty in Bealeton. Rt. 15 gets extremely congested weekday mornings from Warrenton to Gainesville. It really slows down in the evenings between 3 and 7 southbound. It is 2 lanes but at those times don’t expect to travel more than 20mph bumper to bumper

Very little chance of it ever being widened to 4 lanes because:

1. MDSHA has no interest in building a new bridge over the Patomac
2 The Washington elite like their rolling two lane 40mph road

MDSHA drives me nuts. We need a new river crossing between 495 and PoR, but they don't want to spend the money to acquire the land, and the environmentalists in Montgomery County don't think we need more roads, but they would be fine implementing a stupid bus system or adding some more bike paths!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT