ADVERTISEMENT

Roll call for Iowa..

psugisher

Dec 20, 2005
Who's going and what are your plans? I have friends travelling with me to Northwestern and OSU but tempted to hop in the car and just go on my own this weekend. Made the last trip to Iowa in 2012 and had a blast.

Reactions: john4psu
Who's going and what are your plans? I have friends travelling with me to Northwestern and OSU but tempted to hop in the car and just go on my own this weekend. Made the last trip to Iowa in 2012 and had a blast.

I'm thinking about doing the same. Waiting for updated weather report tomorrow.

One article I read said there are still 3,000 tickets available for the game (as of the 19th IIRC).

Driving up on Friday and will catch the PSU/Iowa soccer match on Friday night. Staying with in-laws in SE Iowa overnight then catching the game on Saturday. Was able to buy 50 yard line tickets late last week on the Iowa Athletic site for $95 each. Was shocked that tickets of that quality were still available from school. I was figuring on having to go through Stubhub. I guess Iowa fans aren't all that excited this year?

Reactions: DaCDiggity
Driving out Friday and on Sunday stopping at the Field of Dreams. My first time to Iowa.
Been there twice during 2 different cross country trips....LOVED it....take some time and enjoy the corn. Also, have a catch with someone...so worth it.

Weather report here looks like 91 on Saturday so probably perfect during the game. Plenty of places to tailgate and lots of great fans that will welcome you to theirs.

Again, the high temp currently on accuwx is 91. At game time, the temp will be around 85/86, and by halftime down under 80. Hot? yes. Unmanageable? No. SEC games have higher temperatures, and PSU is deeper than it's ever been.

As I said before, the last thing I'd want to be wearing at kickoff, is black.

Weather report here looks like 91 on Saturday so probably perfect during the game. Plenty of places to tailgate and lots of great fans that will welcome you to theirs.

Big fan of midwestern girls so the warm temps should be perfect.. we wandered around the big tailgates close to the stadium and were invited right in back in 2012. Enjoyed the Iowa fans when they came to Happy Valley. Should be a great setting for a college football Saturday.

Where is everyone tailgating? Let me know and I will add it to a mobile map for easy access. Have the alumni tailgate and a few popular bars I have read about so far. Links to the map here:

iPhone: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/roadwarriors/id1205327570
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roadwarriors

DrRUY1r.png

I will never venture into Iowa City again.

It's a cesspoollian collection of drunk "agricultural workers" who have nothing better to do than venture into the "big city" and harass quiet opposing fans (wife and I are very polite alums) who happen to be wearing their school colors....outside and inside the stadium.

It wasn't just one.....it was the majority. Iowa City is so unlike all of the other "evolved" university-based towns in the B1G.

Never again.

Last edited:

It's a cesspoollian collection of drunk "agricultural workers" who have nothing better to do than venture into the "big city" and harass quiet opposing fans who happen to be wearing their school colors....outside and inside the stadium.

It wasn't just one.....it was the majority. Iowa City is so unlike all of the other "evolved" university-based towns in the B1G.

Never again.
Wow. I have not experienced that type of treatment in Iowa City. I have been to at least 7 games there. My wife, another couple and I are driving down from St. Paul on Friday. Our favorite B&B's have closed so we're staying at the on campus hotel. Reviews have ranged from dumpy to great. Should be interesting. Hoping to get invited to a tailgate.

It's a cesspoollian collection of drunk "agricultural workers" who have nothing better to do than venture into the "big city" and harass quiet opposing fans (wife and I are very polite alums) who happen to be wearing their school colors....outside and inside the stadium.

Never again.
This is bullshit.

Never again.

You sound like a lot of fun. Bet your wife was really something before electricity.

If you are in to BBQ there is a place called Jimmy Jaks on the SE side of Iowa City that is phenomenal.

Currently sitting in O'Hare waiting for my flight to Cedar Rapids.

GAME DAY INFORMATION
HEAT ADVISORY
Due to the heat index for this Saturday's game, we advise that all fans are aware of the additions to Saturday's game day:
  • Half price water bottles at concessions inside the stadium
  • Water monsters at all four corners of the stadium
  • Unlimited sealed water bottles will be let into the stadium
  • Empty re-usable water bottles will be allowed into the stadium.

Reactions: psugisher
For $50 they will arrange for an old guy in an old time uniform to play catch with you.

Ah, don't know about paying the old boy, but an older gentlemen started being the groundskeeper for the farm one year after the movie, and he's still there today. If you can catch him, he had more stories to tell then the tour guide. He gave background information about the argument between the neighbors as the "Field of Dream" field is on two farms with different owners. That's why you'll see an unused building off of left field.
This gentlemen allowed us to walk into the garage where he placed baseballs from a deaf-mute boy. The boy wrote on the baseballs - hey dad wanna have a catch. The boy then put them down first base line for his father to see. That's good stuff there, my friends.

Safe travels to everyone making the trip to support the Nittany Lions.

OL

Thanks, not a fan of Joe's BBQ, myself; but I will try and give it a try. Been to Q39?

No havent had that. Jimmy Jacks is a pretty small place in a kind of strange part of town; not near campus or downtown. Give it a try; hope it is good for you.

Never again.

Please, I've never experienced that in the times I've been there. Every school has drunk jack asses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT