ADVERTISEMENT

Rokfin Link: Spencer Lee wins Dan Hodge!

It's obviously been said already but I'll say it again. If they could do the Co Hodge this year, they sure as hell could have done it for Nolf/Nickal.

That being said, congratulations to both Spencer and Gable. Both very special talents we are lucky to watch.

It's obviously been said already but I'll say it again. If they could do the Co Hodge this year, they sure as hell could have done it for Nolf/Nickal.

That being said, congratulations to both Spencer and Gable. Both very special talents we are lucky to watch.
Or Zain and Bo in 2018.

Reactions: lionlover
Tony Hager right now:

bKZWJa84gea_kQdeSY4mfE7ghI-3WG7QSE2o3k4JDg2x59hBrQEkUC_rzHeaWBZQo41T5oJqFI0NMDo4uNgkDCDqaozXW0-e4ocBc8AAlnvle1jSsPNgD--OiQc2sdk3YbkYkCoT5gNXW1uJ2p94-WftOck52Odi-ibZ3hRFldCSFJHTMlZIuErOTlakvEYzu9JncXOm-ikWuadwoNIFwHW853TB

My bad. I corrected the title. Rokfin, didn't write sh!t; they just linked the sh!t.
I don't think that's true, either, is it? Rokfin isn't a content creator. They're a platform. They don't do anything but sit there and watch content roll in.

HR is imploding. Lee gets award for heart. Dominance pretty even. Steveson won a much deeper weight class this year. A shortened season gives less chance for separation.

Reactions: ccdiver
I don't think that's true, either, is it? Rokfin isn't a content creator. They're a platform. They don't do anything but sit there and watch content roll in.

Where the f*ck did I say that Rokfin created the content? I said they provided the link to the article; which they did.

Reactions: nitlion6

Willie Saylor got completely $hit on a couple of years ago from CP & co for even suggesting a hodge for both Nickal and Nolf. Who has egg on their face now?

Reactions: ccdiver
Before the acl these two were dominating like never seen before. Also they were both the favorites for the Olympic team and with a good chance at medaling. These are two all time greats in the sport of wrestling. It just sucks Spencer tears his knee and Gable isn’t hanging around for another cycle. The two stud international HW’s couldn’t hold on for another cycle, hopefully. Wish Bo was sticking around for another cycle. Him vs Zahid would be great. Assuming Zahid sticks with it. Damn the government needs to pay these dudes like the Russians lol.

I barely understand the hyperbole. “Like never seen before?” More dominating than DT, Zain, Nolf, Snyder and others? DT was a TF short of pinning thru the NCAA tournament. Nolf and Bo’s dominance in scoring was measurably higher than Gables dominance. Favorites for the Olympic team? Spencer might have been but Gable would be at HWT?
It’s not that Gable isn’t a great one but suddenly best and dominance like never seen simply isn’t true.

Before the acl these two were dominating like never seen before. Also they were both the favorites for the Olympic team and with a good chance at medaling. These are two all time greats in the sport of wrestling. It just sucks Spencer tears his knee and Gable isn’t hanging around for another cycle. The two stud international HW’s couldn’t hold on for another cycle, hopefully. Wish Bo was sticking around for another cycle. Him vs Zahid would be great. Assuming Zahid sticks with it. Damn the government needs to pay these dudes like the Russians lol.
Never seen before? This is penn state we see this shit every year lol.

I barely understand the hyperbole. “Like never seen before?” More dominating than DT, Zain, Nolf, Snyder and others? DT was a TF short of pinning thru the NCAA tournament. Nolf and Bo’s dominance in scoring was measurably higher than Gables dominance. Favorites for the Olympic team? Spencer might have been but Gable would be at HWT?
It’s not that Gable isn’t a great one but suddenly best and dominance like never seen simply isn’t true.
At 2017 nationals, Zain had 4 TFs and a pin. In 2016 Zain had 4 pins, a TF, and a MD.

But we've never seen dominance like this before.

Typing your truth

/=

Actual truth

If dual Hodge winners were a thing, Zain would have three of them, he had better stats his RSSoph year as I recall. Toss in a Nolf for good measure while you are at it.

They have successfully opened pandora's box on this one, now every year we will hear it, now there is precident. PU.

This year should have been the legless Spencer alone.

They have successfully opened pandora's box on this one, now every year we will hear it, now there is precident. PU.
Let's wait and see on that.

If Lee wins next year, he will be the sole Hodge winner. They're not giving a half-trophy to a 4x champ in his SR year.

If dual Hodge winners were a thing, Zain would have three of them, he had better stats his RSSoph year as I recall. Toss in a Nolf for good measure while you are at it.

This year should have been the legless Spencer alone.

This isn't the first time they've awarded co-winners. They didn't seem obligated to follow some new precedent the first time, so I wouldn't automatically assume pandora's box is now open.

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
Listening to yesterday’s FRL, Askren is livid over the Co-Hodge award mainly due to WIN Magazine’s (an Iowa-based publication) lack of transparency. The FRL panelists maintain in past years WIN always listed the number of votes for each candidate. This year they listed the number of votes for the non-winners only, not Lee and Gable.

Someone from WIN told Pyles it was “basically” a tie between the two. This opens up the question of whether or not it was an actual tie and whether or not there might have been some home cooking at play.

I think having a tie is fine, but when Win Magazine changes its criteria on the fly, they demean the award and undermine their credibility. Every year Win posts the actual vote totals, except this year--this year they selectively chose which first-place vote totals to release. If Win wanted to provide for the possibility of a tie based on a statistical "dead heat," they should've done so in advance. But by calling an audible and setting aside the actual vote in favor of a committee decision, they prompt the question: why even have a vote at all?

Also, since I'm already cranky, why does this thread have a misleading title? The most accurate way to present the Hodge winner news is to say that Lee and Steveson were co-winners.

Listening to yesterday’s FRL, Askren is livid over the Co-Hodge award mainly due to WIN Magazine’s (an Iowa-based publication) lack of transparency. The FRL panelists maintain in past years WIN always listed the number of votes for each candidate. This year they listed the number of votes for the non-winners only, not Lee and Gable.

Someone from WIN told Pyles it was “basically” a tie between the two. This opens up the question of whether or not it was an actual tie and whether or not there might have been some home cooking at play.
Iowa-based WIN protecting Iowa’s future AD ;)

Reactions: Brian LB-U

It boggles my mind to think that this guy didn't win it outright. Granted it was a weak weight this year, but he is a more dominant wrestler. Even on one leg. It just goes to show you how un-likeable Iowa wrestling is.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Brian LB-U
Here's where lack of transparency hurts:

"Multiple members voted for co-winners" --> their votes canceled out, essentially worthless unless it were a lot of votes, say 50% or more. How many would be good to know.

Fan vote is a small factor (IIRC 2%) but Lee won it overwhelmingly -- 5 to 1 ratio.

So for Steveson to earn a share based upon voting, he'd have to win the remaining votes over the returning Hodge winner who was also better on the listed criteria.

I share Cenzo's opinion of the end result. But the process appears to be a farce -- and not the first time either.

Reactions: tikk10
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT