ADVERTISEMENT

Rock Supergroups (Good or Bad)

What are some of the "Supergroups" that you liked or disliked?

As an avid Yes fan, there were two I can think of. First being "Asia" which had members from Yes, King Crimson and ELP. Second was GTR which had Steve Howe (Yes) and Steve Hackett (Genesis). While I attended concerts for both, I'd have to say they were both huge disappointments. Both way too commercial for my tastes and could never come close to the bars they set with their own Groups. Conversely, I thought the Traveling Wilburys got it right.

The Honeydrippers did some good stuff in the early 80's. The members were blues and R&B fans and used the band as a vehicle to go a bit further down that road than they had previously.

Last edited:

As an avid Yes fan, there were two I can think of. First being "Asia" which had members from Yes, King Crimson and ELP. Second was GTR which had Steve Howe (Yes) and Steve Hackett (Genesis). While I attended concerts for both, I'd have to say they were both huge disappointments. Both way too commercial for my tastes and could never come close to the bars they set with their own Groups. Conversely, I thought the Traveling Wilburys got it right.
Was a big fan of Yes, Genesis, and King Crimson in high school (and still am). Went to see Asia at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby even though I didn't really like their two corporate pop hits (Heat of the Moment and Time Will Tell) and the show totally met my low expectations. The opening act was literally booed off the stage, too.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
1979 one of the interesting bands I saw was the New Barbarians with Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, Stanley Clarke, Bobby Keys, Ziggie Modilieste and Ian McGlaughlin. Killer. Only did one short tour so far as I know, saw them in DC.

Was a big fan of Yes, Genesis, and King Crimson in high school (and still am). Went to see Asia at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby even though I didn't really like their two corporate pop hits (Heat of the Moment and Time Will Tell) and the show totally met my low expectations. The opening act was literally booed off the stage, too.

I saw Asia in 1981 or 1982 . . . my very first concert . . . and Chris De Bergh opened for them . . .

1979 one of the interesting bands I saw was the New Barbarians with Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, Stanley Clarke, Bobby Keys, Ziggie Modilieste and Ian McGlaughlin. Killer. Only did one short tour so far as I know, saw them in DC.

We drove from PSU to Pittsburgh to see them. Was a very good show. Too bad they only did that one tour

Reactions: TheGLOV and tgar

RIP George, Tom, and Roy!

Back in 2009, we were entertained to a great double bill at the Tower. The original Asia opened up for Yes. What a fantastic show. As Chris Squire said during the performance, Steve Howe is the hardest working man in rock, he starred for both bands. Carl Palmer alone is worth the price of admission.

Damn Yankees -- who would have thought that a Styx - Ted Nugent mashup could work? Their music stands up pretty well to the test of time....better than most 1980s power ballads at least

Damn Yankees was more of a scrap-heap than a Supergroup...

If you step away from the bath-salts it becomes clear that Damn Yankees wasn’t exactly like Tom Brady hooking up with Larry Fitzgerald and Jerry Rice... more like Billy Joe Hobert getting together with Pete Metzelaars and Johnny “Lam” Jones....

Mad Season, Temple of the Dog, The Ranconteurs, Velvet Revolver. Each had their moments, but none better than their originals IMO. Could add A Perfect Circle but it’s mostly a Maynard side project between Tool and his other side project Puscifer.

Temple of the Dog really wasn't a super group at the time. Chris Cornell was the only mainstream name. No one knew who Eddie Vedder was yet.

Temple of the Dog really wasn't a super group at the time. Chris Cornell was the only mainstream name. No one knew who Eddie Vedder was yet.

Was more than just Vedder; future Pearl Jam members (and former Mother Love Bone members) Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard. So, it was former MLB + Cornell with Vedder just prior to the formation of Pearl Jam. I still think it qualifies.

not sure how much this qualifies, but the 89 band "3" featured Keith Emerson, Carl Palmer, and Robert Berry. some great prog/pop rock and Palmer is phenomenal on the track "Desde La Vida" . . . I have both of their live releases, great stuff!

Eddie Vedder wasn't actually in Temple of the Dog. He provided some vocals, but that was it.

Was more than just Vedder; future Pearl Jam members (and former Mother Love Bone members) Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard. So, it was former MLB + Cornell with Vedder just prior to the formation of Pearl Jam. I still think it qualifies.

But MLB was hardly mainstream. More people knew who they were due to Temple of the Dog than on their own

Eddie Vedder wasn't actually in Temple of the Dog. He provided some vocals, but that was it.
But MLB was hardly mainstream. More people knew who they were due to Temple of the Dog than on their own

Well, is a supergroup ‘super’ because of popularity? Or because it’s a mash up of folks from different bands? Even the most popular supergroups are rarely bigger than the sum of their parts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT