ADVERTISEMENT

Roberson’ skills?

An Old Buffalo Amish saying:

Dont Kordell shard it into the end zone my frand
But also if its against UM then let the bomb be felt in the bathroom my frand

He runs well, but he really needs to show that he can hit some throws, otherwise, well, he won't be able to do what he's really good at.
What is he good at? I didn't see anything he's good at. Can you enlighten me? Lol

He has skills, just has not been given many opportunities, not his fault. He had scholarships from several D1 schools including tO$U

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FJ47
I did not see an overly dynamic runner
I disagree. I saw someone with great potential, but there just weren't many holes or decent blocking. TR's running ability was evident to me, but it takes more than one person.

What was iowa city? Doesn't that count as an opportunity?

It sure does, before that not much else in the way of opportunities, the thread is about his skills, he was a highly recruited Qb, Top 10 dual threat Qb in his recruiting class, offered by OSU who PSU is chasing year in and year out.

PSU has changed OC's three years in a row and currently does not run an offense best suited to his skills. Did he jump ship and enter the portal? PSU had a #2 Qb on its roster who bailed. #2 Qb's don't grow on trees. Except for a very few teams, this is the "portal" era of college football. "Free Agency" has allowed players to transfer without penalty. That's just the way it is.

PSU (MY) has 2 weeks to prepare a game plan better suited to his skills. I'd like to see what he can do with it before I throw him on the trash pile and give up on him. He can't do it alone. It is a team sport.

Roberson was the 9th best qb in his high school class. Crazy that he couldn't hit routine throws when he saw playing time.
It’s why high school ratings mean nothing at Qb. How many Elite 11s end up in the dumpster? Position is predicated on so many things.

It sure does, before that not much else in the way of opportunities, the thread is about his skills, he was a highly recruited Qb, Top 10 dual threat Qb in his recruiting class, offered by OSU who PSU is chasing year in and year out.

PSU has changed OC's three years in a row and currently does not run an offense best suited to his skills. Did he jump ship and enter the portal? PSU had a #2 Qb on its roster who bailed. #2 Qb's don't grow on trees. Except for a very few teams, this is the "portal" era of college football. "Free Agency" has allowed players to transfer without penalty. That's just the way it is.

PSU (MY) has 2 weeks to prepare a game plan better suited to his skills. I'd like to see what he can do with it before I throw him on the trash pile and give up on him. He can't do it alone. It is a team sport.

Again, what are his skills? Throwing? Running?

I am an eternal optimist. I am hoping that the Roberson we saw at Iowa was a fluke. He suddenly got thrust into a high pressure game, against a pretty decent defense and a hostile crowd. Kid went all deer-in-the-headlights on us. Should he have been ready? Absolutely, but he wasn't. If he has to start against Illinois, hopefully he has his shit together and shows us something.

Reactions: Cold Smoke
Again, what are his skills? Throwing? Running?
Duh, I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you :rolleyes:

"Dual Threat" more suited to an RPO system we currently do not run

want to see more from him than we saw in Iowa. he will have 2 weeks of first team reps, probably more than he has had all year combined, and playing in a friendlier environment.

not ready to give up on him yet.

Roberson had accuracy issues against iowa throwing from the pocket. Can he be expected to throw better on the run?
Probably not. Accuracy is the most critical skill at qb. Since day 1 accuracy has been a issue with Roberson. Perhaps CV is the better option. We'll leave that for the coaches to figure out.

The offense now has trouble both running and throwing. They are going to have to get unpredictable to catch defenses off guard.

Thanks for posting. My favorite is where the ball is hiked to the running back. He gets down like a center and hikes to the QB WTF that is some funny $#!t

Roberson was the 9th best qb in his high school class. Crazy that he couldn't hit routine throws when he saw playing time.
That would be more believable if you you were referring to his high school's class.

I think on BWI they said his weakness during recruiting was passing accuracy and arm strength. Trace did not have a strong arm, but he was reasonably accurate when not injured.

I think we got to see TR skill set in Iowa. His legs worked until Iowa adjusted. I expect Illinois to arrive ready for TR running. The problem we have as a backup are that TR already beat out CV for the #2 spot, so there is nothing we can expect from CV to come in. I would be looking at the roster for anyone else. The backup QB is a major weakness. I think our upside in any game will be 20 pts max, and against the top teams maybe 14. Jordan's leg will be getting used to punt a lot. If MY can fix this, it will be a miracle.

DEF is going to need 3 and outs, not bend but don't break. Otherwise, they are gong to wear out. DEF will also likely need to produce points directly and field position. hopefully we know that punting is the right strategy when 4th and 1 at midfield.

Really, I must have been watching a different Trace on deep balls. He was all over the place frequently under thrown.

Not that I would want to trade places with Purdue (from an overall program perspective), but man oh man ... to watch Purdue's offense efficiently playing THREE different qb's yesterday vs the complete $hitshow implosion that our staff and entire offense team threw out on the field against Iowa last week is truly mind numbing. Yes, TR played poorly, .but so did every other member of the offense beginning with the coaching staff, the linemen, the receivers, and the running backs

On the other hand, the defense and Jordan Stout were just outstanding.

To be fair, I do expect to see significant improvement against Illinois from TR and the entire offense.
With all due respect, receivers / TE's were still sufficiently open and, with the exception of one drop by Strange (the 2nd was behind him), they were simply missed either by the decision not to pass or by the inaccuracy of a pass.
I think on BWI they said his weakness during recruiting was passing accuracy and arm strength. Trace did not have a strong arm, but he was reasonably accurate when not injured.

I think we got to see TR skill set in Iowa. His legs worked until Iowa adjusted.
What is a QB's role? It seems that accuracy would be high on the list. Despite complaints about the RB's, there are already several on the roster. In order to hope for any sustained success, TR needs to be a QB, not a RB. Hopefully he demonstrates that complete set of skills and not just predictable running.

With all due respect, receivers / TE's were still sufficiently open and, with the exception of one drop by Strange (the 2nd was behind him), they were simply missed either by the decision not to pass or by the inaccuracy of a pass.

What is a QB's role? It seems that accuracy would be high on the list. Despite complaints about the RB's, there are already several on the roster. In order to hope for any sustained success, TR needs to be a QB, not a RB. Hopefully he demonstrates that complete set of skills and not just predictable running.

I am not optimistic. I can't think of a QB that just suddenly became accurate. He might learn better pocket presence and may find an open receiver a little better, but accuracy? Don't think so. If anything that might get worse as he checks down to secondary options and must throw with less time. I noticed he tends to stare down and aim his throws.

And I'm not optimistic that Franklin will put Roberson on a short leash. He stayed while others left. You can't tell me that Franklin doesn't reward loyalty.

Our season depends on the return of Clifford.

Is there any chance Roberson peaked early and has certain physical limitations? It seems like he’s not much bigger or stronger than when he arrived at PSU.

I am not optimistic. I can't think of a QB that just suddenly became accurate. He might learn better pocket presence and may find an open receiver a little better, but accuracy? Don't think so. If anything that might get worse as he checks down to secondary options and must throw with less time. I noticed he tends to stare down and aim his throws.

And I'm not optimistic that Franklin will put Roberson on a short leash. He stayed while others left. You can't tell me that Franklin doesn't reward loyalty.

Our season depends on the return of Clifford.
And he will return.

Not that I would want to trade places with Purdue (from an overall program perspective), but man oh man ... to watch Purdue's offense efficiently playing THREE different qb's yesterday vs the complete $hitshow implosion that our staff and entire offense team threw out on the field against Iowa last week is truly mind numbing. Yes, TR played poorly, but so did every other member of the offense beginning with the coaching staff, the linemen, the receivers, and the running backs.

On the other hand, the defense and Jordan Stout were just outstanding.

To be fair, I do expect to see significant improvement against Illinois from TR and the entire offense.

Diplomatically put. Let's just say CJF's management of the QB room isn't exactly a resume builder. That said, there's a difference between planning to play three QBs vs. throwing your 2nd stringer to the proverbial wolves. We'll know about TR's capabilities by Saturday night. Iowa was no barometer.

Have to give the kid a chance, very few excel first time out (except Caleb Williams) Roberson had a tough environment and field position to overcome. He'll be much better prepared this week, than you' ll have a realistic judgement if he's capable of running our offense.

Reactions: MaconNitt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT