ADVERTISEMENT

Roberson’ skills?

TiredOldLion

Dec 16, 2013
Not a pocket passer right now so what does he do well? Can’t change the whole scheme but adding something is doable.

He runs well, but he really needs to show that he can hit some throws, otherwise, well, he won't be able to do what he's really good at.

Reactions: bdroc
Not a pocket passer right now so what does he do well? Can’t change the whole scheme but adding something is doable.

Our second half O at Iowa should have had him rolling out of the pocket most of the remainder of the game. If that doesn’t happen with Illinois, shame shame shame.

AND how about some fudging misdirection plays? I’d run Iowa’s misdirection pass play for the TD as our second play of the game with Dotson.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and klive
They will try to run him at a high rate is my guess

Some of those short wide screen type plays to Dotson and Lambert . If it goes bad I think we see Veilleux

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Our second half O at Iowa should have had him rolling out of the pocket most of the remainder of the game. If that doesn’t happen with Illinois, shame shame shame.

AND how about some fudging misdirection plays? I’d run Iowa’s misdirection pass play for the TD as our second play of the game with Dotson.

Roberson had accuracy issues against iowa throwing from the pocket. Can he be expected to throw better on the run?

The line is much better at pass blocking than it is at run blocking. And IF we have a dominant RB, we haven't seen him yet.

If we can't pass, we can't expect to generate much offense. Running the QB a lot in that situation doesn't strike me as a recipe for anything good.

The line is much better at pass blocking than it is at run blocking. And IF we have a dominant RB, we haven't seen him yet.

If we can't pass, we can't expect to generate much offense. Running the QB a lot in that situation doesn't strike me as a recipe for anything good.
If he can’t pass, that’s about our only option.

Reactions: Gitzit
Not that I would want to trade places with Purdue (from an overall program perspective), but man oh man ... to watch Purdue's offense efficiently playing THREE different qb's yesterday vs the complete $hitshow implosion that our staff and entire offense team threw out on the field against Iowa last week is truly mind numbing. Yes, TR played poorly, but so did every other member of the offense beginning with the coaching staff, the linemen, the receivers, and the running backs.

On the other hand, the defense and Jordan Stout were just outstanding.

To be fair, I do expect to see significant improvement against Illinois from TR and the entire offense.

He runs well, but he really needs to show that he can hit some throws, otherwise, well, he won't be able to do what he's really good at.
I think his height is a big drawback. He might be able to throw the WR screen but I think he'll have trouble throwing an accurate ball deep. Until now PSU's offense has relied on explosive plays to Dotson deep.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and klive
Roberson cannot throw accurately downfield. It's obvious. On intermediate throws he picks his target early, aims, and guns it. A good defense will shut us down.

I don't see how we generate much offense unless we adapt to something like what the Naval and Air Force academies do. Their QBs can throw but its not an accurate deep ball and there is usually a specific receiver that is targeted by the play. It isn't drop back and find the guy the defense missed.

We might beat Illinois but it will be through defense and getting just enough to win. Unless Clifford comes back we don't have a chance against OSU. That one and maybe others become blowout losses.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

Yurcich thanks you for your recommendations.

Unless he’s good at it. The only scoring drive he had against Iowa was using his legs.
My only fear going into the season was Clifford running too much and getting hurt (so he gets hurt passing- go figure). We all knew that losing Clifford was going to be a disaster- we are whistling past the graveyard to pretend otherwise. I will admit to having a strong prejudice against having our QB running too much.

I'm not at all saying that Roberson is better than Clifford, but OSU has had problems in the past with running - RO QBs. You never know and before you jump on me, yes, I know you're better off with Clifford but.............

Good thoughts and fears expressed here but I’m wondering what can MY add to the scheme to make Roberson successful? Time for him to adjust to the Jimmies and Joes available.

Roberson cannot throw accurately downfield. It's obvious. On intermediate throws he picks his target early, aims, and guns it. A good defense will shut us down.

I don't see how we generate much offense unless we adapt to something like what the Naval and Air Force academies do. Their QBs can throw but its not an accurate deep ball and there is usually a specific receiver that is targeted by the play. It isn't drop back and find the guy the defense missed.

We might beat Illinois but it will be through defense and getting just enough to win. Unless Clifford comes back we don't have a chance against OSU. That one and maybe others become blowout losses.

Way too small of a sample to compare Roberson to a Navy or Air Force QB in terms of throwing. Now, mind you, he didn't do much to disabuse anyone of that notion at Iowa, I'll give you that. But if he has to start and play vs. Illinois, I think we'll see a very different result. For many reasons. I'm counting on MY earning his paycheck these 2 weeks getting him ready.

Our second half offense was 10 or so false starts.

Can't roll out when you are 1st and 25.

We should have punted on first down.

My only fear going into the season was Clifford running too much and getting hurt (so he gets hurt passing- go figure). We all knew that losing Clifford was going to be a disaster- we are whistling past the graveyard to pretend otherwise. I will admit to having a strong prejudice against having our QB running too much.
Clifford hasn’t been running too much and did not get hurt running. I am hoping Roberson is a short term fill in, so he wouldn’t be racking up that many runs in a couple of games. They just need him to be a stop gap, so he has to do what he does best.

Everyone is going to stack the line to force him to throw. I’d love to see them add plays like this-

Roberson was the 9th best qb in his high school class. Crazy that he couldn't hit routine throws when he saw playing time.

I think on BWI they said his weakness during recruiting was passing accuracy and arm strength. Trace did not have a strong arm, but he was reasonably accurate when not injured.

I think we got to see TR skill set in Iowa. His legs worked until Iowa adjusted. I expect Illinois to arrive ready for TR running. The problem we have as a backup are that TR already beat out CV for the #2 spot, so there is nothing we can expect from CV to come in. I would be looking at the roster for anyone else. The backup QB is a major weakness. I think our upside in any game will be 20 pts max, and against the top teams maybe 14. Jordan's leg will be getting used to punt a lot. If MY can fix this, it will be a miracle.

DEF is going to need 3 and outs, not bend but don't break. Otherwise, they are gong to wear out. DEF will also likely need to produce points directly and field position. hopefully we know that punting is the right strategy when 4th and 1 at midfield.

Reactions: psu00
All the boys girls at Wake,
They do the spin move, say "Tim Duncan"
All the girl boys they do Hard RC spin move say Tim Dumcam

The offense now has trouble both running and throwing. They are going to have to get unpredictable to catch defenses off guard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT