ADVERTISEMENT

RIP: The man who "took" JVP's job at Yale

Great line toward the end of the article in which Cozza, after losing a game with Connecticut received a telegram from the Alumni Association: "There's a train leaving for New York at 4 o'clock. Be under it."

I got to meet Cozza during my recruiting trip to Yale where he took me out to lunch. Sadly, he had no pull with their admissions dept. and I ended up at Penn State. :D He did seem to be a genuinely good guy and our conversation hardly even touched on football. After lunch, he was to walk me to my appointment with the Academic dept of my choice. When he found out that I was going to visit the Architecture department, he tried to get me an appointment with Vincent Scully, the renown architectural historian who just died in November. Unfortunately, Scully was out of town that day. Meeting him would have been a highlight since he had written half of the handful of architecture books that I had actually read at that time.

I also inadvertently caused Yale to commit a recruiting violation during my visit. During my lunch with Cozza, I told him that I had attended an early morning aerobics class with my host. While my motives were strictly for seeing college women clad in 80s era spandex, Cozza told me the NCAA prohibited any physical evaluations during official visits. Before I left, they sit down with some office type to fill out some paperwork that they had to send in to the NCAA. There was a big snowstorm at the end of my visit, and my flight out of New Haven was cancelled. Not wanting to fill out more NCAA paperwork for being on campus longer the allotted number of hours, they put me and two other recruits in a taxi to the Newark for what was still the most terrifying bad weather travel experience of my life. We had two separate fender benders, one pushing us into a ditch that we had to push the cab out of. The cab driver wanted to drop us off somewhere in the Bronx and have us take the subway/train to the airport. The three of us refused. The driver was absolutely pi$$ed. Given his mobster movie accent, I’m surprised we didn’t end up in the back of a garbage truck.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT