ADVERTISEMENT

RIp Brooks Robinson

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018
Oh man that sucks.

I think I’ve mentioned my uncle Charlie before; had him as a player in Vancouver and may have saved his career when he caught brooks falling down the dugout whereby brooks impaled his forearm on chain link fence.

My first game as a boy was Royals o’s, and o’s were my team despite Charlie scouting for the royals at the time. Charlie had brooks as a player and my dad played college ball with o’s 3b coach Billy hunter. Between the two of them, they arranged a first trip to the ballpark no kid could ever top. Before the game, Billy took me down in the locker room and asked if I wanted to meet anybody. I was too shy to even think of naming the great brooks so I said frank and boog Powell, who were both very nice. As we were leaving, Billy said there was someone else Charlie wanted me to meet, and brooks came up in the hallway, talked to me for five minutes and gave me an autographed team ball.

Just a wonderful man. Introduced Charlie at some local Cambrian county sports hall of fame induction years later. Also as a tv analyst, I’ve never heard anybody who could predict the action the way brooks could.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News