ADVERTISEMENT

Riddle me this...

Law-Deezie

Nov 10, 2015
Kellan Stout had a decent RS Frosh year from all accounts. That being said, where does he potentially fit in (if at all) with Bo, Rasheed (bumping up), Cutch & Cassar? Honestly don't see a spot for him (maybe his RS junior year) unless he really improves that much to knock off one of the above. What say you???

I wouldnt worry about it. For the team it seems like a good problem to have. Joseph/Rasheed/Bo/Cassar/Cutch/Nickal= 6 very good wrestlers for 4 weights (65-97) Not to mention Hammond and Morelli. Also Hall and Manville incoming.

Not everyone is going to be able to be a 4 year starter, but they will still get matches in at the scuffle and other opens. Plus all it takes is an injury and you are the next man up. And if you were one of the non-starting all-stars, would you rather transfer where you wont get to work out with these guys everyday? and if you cant beat them to earn the starting spot then you wouldn't win the national championship anyway. It would be nice to say you were a 3-4 time all-american, but in the long run if you get there once does it really make a difference? You are still able to say you were one of the best wrestlers/athletes in the country and not many people can say that.

I got bored and decided to do a quick comparison of 2 high-profile true freshmen who are shirting:

Stout went 12-3 at 184 with no bad losses but also no notable wins. His losses were to Lorenzo Thomas by MD and twice to Thomas' backup Joe Heyob, who I think was a decent starter when Thomas shirted.

Ohio State's Kollin Moore went 19-4 at 197. He had 1 notable win, over Penn's Frank Mattiace. 2 of his losses were to Pac 12 champ Josh Dasilvera (Sparky) and Phil Wellington (Ohio). Another was by MD to Army's Rocco Caywood, who is good but probably not THAT good. His other loss was to Navy's Michael Woulfe, who also had a good year.

Long story short: both guys did about as expected given their schedules. Nothing particularly shocking pro or con.

The big difference: PSU needs Stout to compete for 197 next year. Ohio State needs Moore to start at 197 next year.

The big difference: PSU needs Stout to compete for 197 next year. Ohio State needs Moore to start at 197 next year.

I'll give you another one - Steven Holloway, 16-7 at 197. Best win is a medical forfeit over Pat Downey. OK, best win is....... 2 losses to Nate Rotert (who is pretty good) 4-1 & 11-9, loss to Ryan Wolfe (who is a top 20-25 guy) 10-4, losses to Evan Hansen x2 (Grandview RS), Matt Hurford (Ellsworth CC), Nick Veling (Wisconsin backup). Is Sam Brooks going 197 next year????

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT