ADVERTISEMENT

Rianna

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
OK, the funniest thing in all of the super bowl, for me, was when Ri-ri was done and hoised up on the platform above the stadium. A friend had been conversing and not paying attention, she walked in just at the end. She said "are they honoring Andy Reid at halftime?" We all spit out our drinks and laughed out loud.

First the good...it was a spectacular presentation and visual. Reminded me of Lady Gaga's halftime.

The downside is that she looked HUGE and not in good shape. Her dancing appeared uninspired. Only later did we learn she was pregnant. Good on her to perform but it wasn't impressive during the show.

Worst, her music is really low energy. It is good but its not like it is great concert material. I mean, you've got ten minutes to knock it out of the park. When you look at the snoop/eminem, prince, bruno mars, Gaga halftime were much, MUCH better.

I am a Ri-ri fan but I'd have to say that this halftime was a six on the ten scale.

cfa6cc9b-0496-4fa0-8fa6-666fababe847-large21x9_AP23044062856285.jpg

Reactions: Midnighter2
OK, the funniest thing in all of the super bowl, for me, was when Ri-ri was done and hoised up on the platform above the stadium. A friend had been conversing and not paying attention, she walked in just at the end. She said "are they honoring Andy Reid at halftime?" We all spit out our drinks and laughed out loud.

First the good...it was a spectacular presentation and visual. Reminded me of Lady Gaga's halftime.

The downside is that she looked HUGE and not in good shape. Her dancing appeared uninspired. Only later did we learn she was pregnant. Good on her to perform but it wasn't impressive during the show.

Worst, her music is really low energy. It is good but its not like it is great concert material. I mean, you've got ten minutes to knock it out of the park. When you look at the snoop/eminem, prince, bruno mars, Gaga halftime were much, MUCH better.

I am a Ri-ri fan but I'd have to say that this halftime was a six on the ten scale.

cfa6cc9b-0496-4fa0-8fa6-666fababe847-large21x9_AP23044062856285.jpg
Youre not that big a fan as you can't even spell her name right. You obviously new she was pregnant but still felt it necessary to call her huge and out of shape

Youre not that big a fan as you can't even spell her name right. You obviously new she was pregnant but still felt it necessary to call her huge and out of shape
Wow....I'll wait until you get another cup of coffee and calm down.

Reread my post....I said she looked out of shape and didn't dance well and that took away from the performance as I found out later she was pregnant. So, her size was understandable but it would have been nice to know ahead of time. Personally, if you can't entertain me that I am less interested. That is, kind of, the definition of entertainment.

And I can't spell much of anything...I am a horrible speller and count on Grammarly. But, apparently, her name isn't in their dictionary.

giphy.gif

She has a 9 month old and is pregnant again. Give her a break
Amazing how poor people's reading comprehension is. Here is my quote:

"The downside is that she looked HUGE and not in good shape. Her dancing appeared uninspired. Only later did we learn she was pregnant. Good on her to perform but it wasn't impressive during the show"

Reactions: bytir and bison13
I didn't realize that she had not performed on stage in 7 years. That seems like a long break for an artist still in their prime. Apparently she's been busy building her billion dollar empire and family. Good for her.

Wow....I'll wait until you get another cup of coffee and calm down.

Reread my post....I said she looked out of shape and didn't dance well and that took away from the performance as I found out later she was pregnant. So, her size was understandable but it would have been nice to know ahead of time. Personally, if you can't entertain me that I am less interested. That is, kind of, the definition of entertainment.

And I can't spell much of anything...I am a horrible speller and count on Grammarly. But, apparently, her name isn't in their dictionary.

giphy.gif
Im hungover as Monday after superbowl should be a holiday.. You said she looked HUGE. It wasn't that difficult to tell she was with child. While the performance wasn't typical Rihanna she did great for being with child.

Im hungover as Monday after superbowl should be a holiday.. You said she looked HUGE. It wasn't that difficult to tell she was with child. While the performance wasn't typical Rihanna she did great for being with child.
LOL...fair enough.

I was at my almost 90 year old mother in law's home. I spent an hour trying to fix a "blue screen" problem on her TV. I almost went out and bought her one at 5:30 but she didn't want to spend the money. She did see that the screen was going bad (which is unreal because it was BAD). And, it was a party so we were all talking. But I've read several tweets from industry types that weren't aware until after the show when her publicist confirmed it.

Total lay person here - first reaction when I watched the halftime show was "Hmm... haven't heard about her in awhile, guess she got fat". Just chalked it up to another star who has aged out of the pop teen sensation demographic and let herself go. I am not a fan of hers, didn't know she had a kid and didn't know she was pregnant again until sometime late in the 3rd quarter when the wife told me what she saw about the show on facebook. Just assumed she was in her mid 40's so the idea of being pregnant didn't even enter my mind.
From a show perspective the vivid bright pink was annoying to look at especially contrasted by the dudes dressed as sperm dancing all around her. Also disappointed that her ego wouldn't allow her to have a "guest star" join her on stage. At least when queen-B performed she reunited with her destiny's child group.

Total lay person here - first reaction when I watched the halftime show was "Hmm... haven't heard about her in awhile, guess she got fat". Just chalked it up to another star who has aged out of the pop teen sensation demographic and let herself go. I am not a fan of hers, didn't know she had a kid and didn't know she was pregnant again until sometime late in the 3rd quarter when the wife told me what she saw about the show on facebook. Just assumed she was in her mid 40's so the idea of being pregnant didn't even enter my mind.
From a show perspective the vivid bright pink was annoying to look at especially contrasted by the dudes dressed as sperm dancing all around her. Also disappointed that her ego wouldn't allow her to have a "guest star" join her on stage. At least when queen-B performed she reunited with her destiny's child group.
I did not see the show, I never watch halftime shows. But word around the water cooler is that it was average. Total sample size is 7 people in the department, young asian female thought it was good, older indian woman thought it was not good. Two white men said so-so, 1 black man said bad, 1 hispanic man said awesome, 1 jewish white man said ok. We are quite eclectic here.

Reactions: bytir
I did not see the show, I never watch halftime shows. But word around the water cooler is that it was average. Total sample size is 7 people in the department, young asian female thought it was good, older indian woman thought it was not good. Two white men said so-so, 1 black man said bad, 1 hispanic man said awesome, 1 jewish white man said ok. We are quite eclectic here.
I was on the so-so side. I thought it lacked energy. Her music isn't upbeat or high-energy. I tried to convey that part of it may have been her "condition". I did think the production was good and the visuals were good. But held up against some of the top performers, which is what she is, it didn't hold up. personally, I liked Gaga and Bruno Mars of the recent ones. The Prince one is the standard, IMHO. What is common to all of those is that the music is really high energy and gets people moving.

It was good. Not great. When I saw the drum kit and keyboard showed up on stage I thought some of her collaborators were gonna show up and jack it up some. Didn’t happen. So. It was good. Not great. Not Bruno. Not Prince. Or others in the way back machine.

Reactions: Obliviax
Here’s my issue with the half time show. It’s 8:40ish when she takes the stage. I’m sitting with my 11 year old daughter. I’m watching the beginning of her performance. I’m beginning to wonder, should my daughter be watching this show? I sent her out of the room 2 mins later she’s masturbating and licking her fingers. Can’t the NFL come up with a show that’s PG rated? There’s younger kids watching this crap.

My take: for what it was, it was fine if uninspiring.

1. I was disappointed that she didn't come out in the Dr. Seuss hair/getup that had been advertised incessantly the last few weeks.
2. Honestly, these halftime shows generally are just becoming completely overproduced -- there were situations where I seriously wondered whether we were watching recorded CGI.
3. Recent shows have, quite honestly, become large dance numbers and not much more. If that trend continues, honestly, we ought to just go back to Up with People.
4. I know, I'm old, but at the end of the day, the Strip Club Music genre doesn't do much for me.
5. Honestly, it's so rare that you get a truly good halftime show, I'd like to go REALLY old school and bring back the all-time champion, the Grambling State marching band.

A point not yet made: the very load screaming from the hyperexcited crowd.

The Super Bowl is so outrageously expensive that the average age of the crowd is likely over fifty. I seriously doubt they were so overcome with excitement that they were screaming their lungs out.

More NFL piped in hype…..

The Super Bowl is so outrageously expensive that the average age of the crowd is likely over fifty. I seriously doubt they were so overcome with excitement that they were screaming their lungs out.

well, just my opinion but I think the entire production around the super bowl is so ridiculously overproduced that it is cringe-worthy. I mean, I'd prefer they just play the game and have a special halftime guest. They end up "recognizing" 158, 381 people during the game. Then they carry in the super bowl trophy like it is the lost ark of the covenant or something. I often wonder how the players stay focused.

I was watching the golf tournament and the guys are perfectly dressed with color combinations and perfect creases. Do they get fedex packages with pre-determined outfits for the day? Can you imagine preparing for the final round of a key tournament up by a stroke and having to worry about the blue hat or the green one and what about the matching white shoes with the color-coordinated laces?

Reactions: rll1957
well, just my opinion but I think the entire production around the super bowl is so ridiculously overproduced that it is cringe-worthy. I mean, I'd prefer they just play the game and have a special halftime guest. They end up "recognizing" 158, 381 people during the game. Then they carry in the super bowl trophy like it is the lost ark of the covenant or something. I often wonder how the players stay focused.

I was watching the golf tournament and the guys are perfectly dressed with color combinations and perfect creases. Do they get fedex packages with pre-determined outfits for the day? Can you imagine preparing for the final round of a key tournament up by a stroke and having to worry about the blue hat or the green one and what about the matching white shoes with the color-coordinated laces?
Personally, I thought the Lombardi Trophy procession was sort of evocative of the old Wing Bowl processions.

Speaking of...Philly may need to bring that tradition back given this year's results.

That was the problem I had with the singing aspect. The mid range vocals were drowned out by the crowd and I only heard her voice once in awhile. I thought about adjusting the TV sound—but that seemed like a lot of work.

Over the top showmanship rather than music.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I still don't know or care who she is. They have barely made any good music in the last couple of decades.

Do we/you really think it might be possible -- stop being weird to be noticed, try excellence instead .........

of course, this would apply to many who 'think' they are.......

i am 99% sure that super bowl halftime shows are lyp synched. the singer might be singing, but the music is already pre-recorded and coming through the loudspeakers. if the microphone is on, it is turned way down low.

Reactions: Ian
She has a 9 month old and is pregnant again. Give her a break
Give her a break? You act like she was volunteering to pick up trash along the highway in her spare time. The Super Bowl is a giant stage and she got a massive PR boost even if she didn't get paid (and I have no idea if she got paid). If she has a 9 month old and is pregnant maybe she ought to give some other performer a break and let them do it instead.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Give her a break? You act like she was volunteering to pick up trash along the highway in her spare time. The Super Bowl is a giant stage and she got a massive PR boost even if she didn't get paid (and I have no idea if she got paid). If she has a 9 month old and is pregnant maybe she ought to give some other performer a break and let them do it instead.
The comment was regarding the OPs description of Rihanna as huge. I wasn’t commenting on the performance which seemed more limited by her safety harness than her size. But by all means keep complaining about a free concert.

Reactions: wilbury
Most halftime shows are put on for the visual effects. Heck that’s the NFL. Most sound is piped in. All the celeb has to do is look like they’ve rehearsed and dance. This show looked out of whack from the beginning. She couldn’t even lypsync properly. That’s awesome that she is a new mother and pregnant again but no sympathy points. What do celebrities do all day but work out for 4 hrs? And she has 24 hr support and care for her newborn.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Most halftime shows are put on for the visual effects. Heck that’s the NFL. Most sound is piped in. All the celeb has to do is look like they’ve rehearsed and dance. This show looked out of whack from the beginning. She couldn’t even lypsync properly. That’s awesome that she is a new mother and pregnant again but no sympathy points. What do celebrities do all day but work out for 4 hrs? And she has 24 hr support and care for her newborn.
This is not directed at you, but since you brought up the piped in sound I wanted to share this video of what it sounds like on the field during the halftime show. Was kind of shocking to me, but not surprising when thinking about it, how badly it sounds live as opposed to the audio that broadcast on tv. I've viewed several videos similar to this so it can't be just "bad audio" from a cell phone, all are the same. Stadium speakers are just not right for live performances of these kinds of shows, so it does make sense that they'd have a different track for the at home audience.

Haven't found a field video yet from this year

This is not directed at you, but since you brought up the piped in sound I wanted to share this video of what it sounds like on the field during the halftime show. Was kind of shocking to me, but not surprising when thinking about it, how badly it sounds live as opposed to the audio that broadcast on tv. I've viewed several videos similar to this so it can't be just "bad audio" from a cell phone, all are the same. Stadium speakers are just not right for live performances of these kinds of shows, so it does make sense that they'd have a different track for the at home audience.

Haven't found a field video yet from this year
Agreed. The performers typically have ear plugs in to pipe the sound into their ears so they can stay on tune, up with the music and any messaging from the producers. All of the field noise is accounted for so that the performer can perform. They don't hear what everyone else does.

The organizers would have given her a break by not hiring her when she was pregnant and taking care of a 9 month old! They had to have known.

Nothing like some casual discrimination. "Don't hire new or expecting mothers" would be a poor policy for most organizations.

The show was fine, everyone I was with (late 30s) liked it and the women loved that she was performing pregnant.

When I read the headline, I thought you were talking about the Fleetwood Mack song.🤷🏻‍♂️

Nothing like some casual discrimination. "Don't hire new or expecting mothers" would be a poor policy for most organizations.

The show was fine, everyone I was with (late 30s) liked it and the women loved that she was performing pregnant.
The show was "fine", if you want to settle for "fine", so be it. So many better alternatives though, imho.

I don't agree. Being pregnant is fine depending upon the job. Generally, her halftime was good, just not as good as many others IMHO. I didn't think her energy was very good, to be honest. And that may have been because of her condition. At the same time, if you are several months pregnant, there are a lot of jobs you shouldn't be doing. Running a pneumatic jackhammer comes to mind. Hip-hop dancing? Borderline!

I don't agree. Being pregnant is fine depending upon the job. Generally, her halftime was good, just not as good as many others IMHO. I didn't think her energy was very good, to be honest. And that may have been because of her condition. At the same time, if you are several months pregnant, there are a lot of jobs you shouldn't be doing. Running a pneumatic jackhammer comes to mind. Hip-hop dancing? Borderline!
She may have been afraid to move much that high. That’s not an easy thing to do. And bring that far into a pregnancy her balance may not have her best.

The show was "fine", if you want to settle for "fine", so be it. So many better alternatives though, imho.

The show is always "fine". You're never going to please everyone. 2000-2010 was mostly old white rockers way beyond their prime. If you want a great concert you should go see whatever act in concert. I loved last years show, a lot of older fans weren't thrilled with Snoop and Dre as I recall.

I'm sure I can find a large group of people who would respond with "meh" to your list of better alternatives, or anyone's list. Way the world works.

Last edited:
The show is always "fine". You're never going to please everyone. 2000-2010 was mostly old white rockers way beyond their prime.
Just so I know the rules, it's okay to label someone (casually discriminate as you put it)) as "old white rockers", but NOT okay to do this to pregnant women? In addition, viewers between 18 and 49 hit a new low coming in around 41% of the viewers. So yeah, if I'm working for the NFL, I would pay better attention to my audience.

Just so I know the rules, it's okay to label someone (casually discriminate as you put it)) as "old white rockers", but NOT okay to do this to pregnant women? In addition, viewers between 18 and 49 hit a new low coming in around 41% of the viewers. So yeah, if I'm working for the NFL, I would pay better attention to my audience.

I didn't say they shouldn't have hired them because they were old white rockers...

I love McCartney, saw him live a few years ago, fantastic show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT