ADVERTISEMENT

Rhoades to PSU?

You never know but I read he has PA roots and sometimes that means more - especially if he is successful at PSU and other big BB schools come calling
PA roots mean nothing--it couldn't mean less here. You hire the best coach. Hopefully Rhoades is that guy--if not we'll be looking for a new coach with the program in worse shape because we needed someone we thought might stay. PA roots also don't prohibit him leaving for a better program.

PA roots mean nothing--it couldn't mean less here. You hire the best coach. Hopefully Rhoades is that guy--if not we'll be looking for a new coach with the program in worse shape because we needed someone we thought might stay. PA roots also don't prohibit him leaving for a better program.
Agree. the PA roots are zero percent of the reason this is solid

Let me tell u....Miami's bball brand was dog**** and nobody cared when Perry Clark was there and then Frank Haith..it was until Jim turned the whole thing around. So all these dumb excuses about psu are BS to me...the coach makes all the difference. NIL wasn't even in the stratosphere, nor the portal for both Frank and Jim, until the last 2 yrs. If u get a first class coach, it pretty much nullifies the other BS. If u find the HC who can teach, recruit and develop, i.e. Jim...look what can happen. UM was a football and baseball school only...and now it has totally changed. Like in any profession, hire the right people and you have a chance

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I think players like Clary, Mahaffey, and Njie are quite relevant. Even kids like Brown. Do you expect Rhodes to fill a complete roster from the portal?
Rhoades was recruiting Njie's brother who ended up at SMU. Not sure if that helps or hurts with keeping Njie

If Fisher wants to remain an assistant and isn't getting a HC job, I would hope the next guy keeps him

Seems like a mediocre hire at that $ amount. Would prefer someone who has more big time coaching experience.

I have no idea if he's a good hire or not. I have two questions:
  1. Will he want to or be able to keep Adam Fisher? That could be the key to keeping current players.
  2. Can he bring quality players to PSU quickly? If he can't he's not worth $3.4 million IMO.
We shall see. I would expect he might want to bring along some of his VCU assistants.

Seems like a mediocre hire at that $ amount. Would prefer someone who has more big time coaching experience.
at a lower amount, he wouldn't have been going anywhere

i think he would have been a candidate for most B1G jobs.

a side-effect of PSU finally paying like they are part of the conference is that they have an incentive not to let guys coast for 8-9 years anymore. the expectations are going to be significantly higher now

The last two VCU coaches were hired by Texas and LSU. This is exactly the type of coach, and program, PSU can realistically recruit from.

Do some you of you forget that PSU basketball is one of the 2 or 3 worst programs in the conference historically? The top guys aren’t coming to coach PSU basketball.

The last two VCU coaches were hired by Texas and LSU. This is exactly the type of coach, and program, PSU can realistically recruit from.

Do some you of you forget that PSU basketball is one of the 2 or 3 worst programs in the conference historically? The top guys aren’t coming to coach PSU basketball.
get ready for responses like "muh big time Coach K, Jay Wright"

Reactions: bison13
I think players like Clary, Mahaffey, and Njie are quite relevant. Even kids like Brown. Do you expect Rhodes to fill a complete roster from the portal?
I think every recruit is irrelevant with the portal.
And, yes, I expect us to hit the portal hard--it's truly our only chance to be competitive next year. There's no longer a "you get time to build a team" with the portal.

Reactions: Ski
I think every recruit is irrelevant with the portal.
And, yes, I expect us to hit the portal hard--it's truly our only chance to be competitive next year. There's no longer a "you get time to build a team" with the portal.
he had two transfers from Michigan into VCU last year. seems like he knows how to use it. what a surprise

They are basically paying market value for a power 5 conference team. If they wanted to get someone with “big time coaching experience” (ie success at another power team) and get them to come to PSU they have to be overpaying by multiple millions a year.

We will see how it would turn out, but a coach with solid success at a good mid major is pretty much exactly who we are able to get. Unless we would prefer an “unproven” guy who is an assistant at a major program (which is fine too but I think more high risk/reward than an established head coach).

they are a very good program, they hire well-respected coaches who are almost always in line for high major jobs. they also have a totally wacko fan base who thinks they are going back to the Final Four every year

I know it doesn't work this way but you'd like to think you could get the second or third best coach in the BiG if you pay the 2nd or 3rd highest salary
well we were about to be forced into paying the 2nd highest salary for the coach who finished 10th

I think MR would be a candidate for most B1G jobs. also if we're paying $3.5 he isn't #2, but it is in line with the range for most of the league. it would be the same as Hoiberg at Nebraska; similar to BU at Illinois and Howard at Michigan

if you put these guys side by side on paper, Rhoades is better than Shrewsberry. So redeemed from losing Shrews
Definitely looks to be a good hire, but time will tell. I’m not sure who some posters thought we could get, but we got someone that many other programs would have been happy to get. Every big time coach was a gamble at one point in their career, so I don’t understand some posters trashing a coach before they get a shot, especially someone with a proven track record.

Definitely looks to be a good hire, but time will tell. I’m not sure who some posters thought we could get, but we got someone that many other programs would have been happy to get. Every big time coach was a gamble at one point in their career, so I don’t understand trashing someone before they get a shot, especially someone with a proven track record.
Some people thought we were going to call Jay Wright and somehow convince him to take this job because he's from PA.

Dusty May would have been a better hire IMO but can't be upset with this. Doesn't mean it will work but it's a solid hire.

Some people thought we were going to call Jay Wright and somehow convince him to take this job because he's from PA.

Dusty May would have been a better hire IMO but can't be upset with this. Doesn't mean it will work but it's a solid hire.
A lot of guys could have been considered a better hire, doesn’t mean we would have been able to get them.

Reactions: bison13 and Ski
Definitely looks to be a good hire, but time will tell. I’m not sure who some posters thought we could get, but we got someone that many other programs would have been happy to get. Every big time coach was a gamble at one point in their career, so I don’t understand some posters trashing a coach before they get a shot, especially someone with a proven track record.
i am sick of it happening every time this program does anything. there seems to be a part of our fan base that does not want the program to do well and throws negativity on every aspect of it

been following it for a long time and mostly they have no clue what they are talking about, or what the historical problems actually were

when you look at this hire there is very little not to like about it

Right but many don't comprehend this and think because we're Penn State we can get anyone.
Yep, just throw out a name and push the magic button. I was hoping we would get a solid mid major coach who has shown the ability to get the dance….we go that. Now let’s just hope it works out.

I clearly recall mentioning Rhoades and being slammed with "He will never come here"

i am sick of it happening every time this program does anything. there seems to be a part of our fan base that does not want the program to do well and throws negativity on every aspect of it

been following it for a long time and mostly they have no clue what they are talking about, or what the historical problems actually were

when you look at this hire there is very little not to like about it
Even the ones who want Franklin out would be unhappy with anyone they hired to replace him because it wouldn’t be a big enough name.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT