ADVERTISEMENT

Report: B2G has vetted Oregon and Washington

They have vetted a lot more schools than Washington and Oregon. The question is how big do they go during this phase of expansion/realignment? 20? 24? 28? Do they all come from the western half of the country?

Reactions: Ian
This isn't saying an announcement is imminent, just that they've done the work, so it shows they are serious about it should things begin to move.

Thanks for the update but this isn't a surprise. There is no way the B1G ends up with only two teams west of Nebraska. That is 1500 miles from Lincoln to LA

They have vetted a lot more schools than Washington and Oregon. The question is how big do they go during this phase of expansion/realignment? 20? 24? 28? Do they all come from the western half of the country?
They’ve vetted most if not all of the PAC12…

They’ve vetted most if not all of the PAC12…

I'm sure they've "vetted" dozens of schools. They aren't adding any of them any time soon, not unless Notre Dame has changed their mind about joining the Big Ten.

The Big Ten doesn't even have their new Commissioner having started yet. And surely expanding the conference isn't the first item on the agenda. This report sounds like it is coming from the Big 12 in an effort to destabilize the Pac-12 rather than any Big Ten sources.

Reactions: Sullivan
I'm sure they've "vetted" dozens of schools. They aren't adding any of them any time soon, not unless Notre Dame has changed their mind about joining the Big Ten.

The Big Ten doesn't even have their new Commissioner having started yet. And surely expanding the conference isn't the first item on the agenda. This report sounds like it is coming from the Big 12 in an effort to destabilize the Pac-12 rather than any Big Ten sources.
Expansion is the first order of business in the Big Ten regardless of who the commish actually is. And they will add multiple teams in the foreseeable future because they have multiple courses of action depending on who bites and how doesn't.

Reactions: Ski
The B1G will only add more teams if they can renegotiate their TV contract.

The B1G will only add more teams if they can renegotiate their TV contract.

And to that point... the Big Ten will only add more teams if it allows the current teams to make more money. would adding Oregon/Washington (or any remaining Pac-12 team) lead to higher payouts? Does everyone see how much those remaining teams are struggling to even sign a new deal?

The Big Ten isn't going to expand just to expand. There has to be value for the current members. USC was an obvious choice in doing so. So would Notre Dame were they be willing to join. I don't see any remaining Pac-12 teams being worthwhile enough to warrant bringing in at this time; if they were they would have been invited last summer along with USC/UCLA before the TV contract was signed.

And to that point... the Big Ten will only add more teams if it allows the current teams to make more money. would adding Oregon/Washington (or any remaining Pac-12 team) lead to higher payouts? Does everyone see how much those remaining teams are struggling to even sign a new deal?

The Big Ten isn't going to expand just to expand. There has to be value for the current members. USC was an obvious choice in doing so. So would Notre Dame were they be willing to join. I don't see any remaining Pac-12 teams being worthwhile enough to warrant bringing in at this time; if they were they would have been invited last summer along with USC/UCLA before the TV contract was signed.
Rumor mill said that the only way the Big 10 adds Oregon and Wash right now is if they agree to take a smaller share, because adding them would be a net reduction for the existing members. They don't make enough money and would just be another mouth to feed, so to speak. I don't think the Big 10 is looking to expand in the short term and is instead waiting on ND and the ACC's GOR to either expire or be broken. ND has always been the top expansion target and when the ACC's media rights are up for grabs the top earners there will be courted by the Big 10 and SEC, and the scraps will scatter amongst the G5, the Big 12 and PAC 12.

Rumor mill said that the only way the Big 10 adds Oregon and Wash right now is if they agree to take a smaller share, because adding them would be a net reduction for the existing members. They don't make enough money and would just be another mouth to feed, so to speak. I don't think the Big 10 is looking to expand in the short term and is instead waiting on ND and the ACC's GOR to either expire or be broken. ND has always been the top expansion target and when the ACC's media rights are up for grabs the top earners there will be courted by the Big 10 and SEC, and the scraps will scatter amongst the G5, the Big 12 and PAC 12.
This is more in line with what I am hearing but the crux of the matter is how you define short term. I am hearing 4 to 6 teams beyond UCLA and USC in the 5ish year timeframe with the expectation that the ACC's grand of rights will be destroyed in the courts.

I think that When B1G expands again it'll be tied to football leaving the NCAA and will go to 20 teams. Four 5 team pods that play every year. 2, 2 and 1 crossover games. 2 west coast and 2 others(NC,VA most likely). ND will stick with watered down ACC as a semi-indepentent.

pods will be
PSU, MD, RU, NC & VA
OSU, Mich, MSU, ind, pur
Illinois, Nw, Wisconsin, minn, Iowa
Usc, ucla, was, ore, neb

I think that When B1G expands again it'll be tied to football leaving the NCAA and will go to 20 teams. Four 5 team pods that play every year. 2, 2 and 1 crossover games. 2 west coast and 2 others(NC,VA most likely). ND will stick with watered down ACC as a semi-indepentent.

pods will be
PSU, MD, RU, NC & VA
OSU, Mich, MSU, ind, pur
Usc, ucla, was, ore, neb
This is somewhat consistent with what I am hearing from multiple sources (not just at PSU) but you need add at break things down a bit further. More teams, more pods. On the high end, thing about an end game that includes an NFL sized league with a nice playoff number such as 8 pods with 4 to 5 teams. More likely...

Washington State, Washington, Oregon, Oregon State
Southern Cal, UCLA, Stanford, California
Arizona, Arizona State, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor
Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Oklahoma State
Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Iowa, Iowa State
Michigan State, Notre Dame, West Virginia, Louisville, Pittsburgh
Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana, Cincinnati
Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, UVA, Va Tech

The economics have changed. Most don't think nearly as big as the power players do. Think about a 40ish team Big Ten crowning the National Championship in the Rose Bowl.

Oregon is a ratings powerhouse nationally. They add value. Washington has respectable tv ratings but doesn’t add value.

pods will be
PSU, MD, RU, NC & VA
OSU, Mich, MSU, ind, pur
Usc, ucla, was, ore, neb
Somehow, they'll figure out 4 divisions that will separate PSU, Michigan, OSU, and USC - each in their own pod-division, Those are the 4 current bluebloods (forget has been Nebraska) and right now, putting Mich and OSU in the same pod, penalizes both of them severely.

Can’t wait. The more teams added, the more likely opinion gets involved in determining a conference champion. Just what CFB needs.

Two of the schools on my bucket list for games. Autzen at night is supposed to be insane and a matchup against PSU would be epic. And Sailgating at Washington is something I’ve always wanted to do.

One can dream.
I was pretty disappointed that the Big Ten/PAC-12 scheduling alliance fell apart. Would have loved to have an annual game vs a PAC team for some variety

On that note, it would really be awesome if the Big Ten and SEC would develop a “challenge” in football where all the teams play a team in the other conference over a weekend or two. probably not practical at this point but would be some good TV.

Reactions: Sullivan
I think bringing in Oregon and Washington is a good idea. Give them a 4 year plan where they get a tiered payout to make the money work until year 5 they get a full share. They would take it as even a partial share in the Big ten is more than a full share of the Pac 12. Also puts Big Ten in prime position in a few years when the ACC implodes to go get 4 more teams and stay up with the SEC.

Reactions: NedFromYork
The other shoe just dropped. Half the ACC (including four teams the Big Ten vetted and would welcome) are exploring ways to break the league's Grant of Rights agreement. It is lead pipe lock that the Virginia schools will be able to get out of it, the two Carolina public schools have a good shot even if they can't break it with what will soon be a majority vote.

Reactions: NedFromYork
The other shoe just dropped. Half the ACC (including four teams the Big Ten vetted and would welcome) are exploring ways to break the league's Grant of Rights agreement. It is lead pipe lock that the Virginia schools will be able to get out of it, the two Carolina public schools have a good shot even if they can't break it with what will soon be a majority vote.
I would take VA, UNC and Duke. ND then has no choice and joins. I would also take OR, Wash, Stan, Cal out west. The Big 10 could then crown its own national champ.

I would take VA, UNC and Duke. ND then has no choice and joins. I would also take OR, Wash, Stan, Cal out west. The Big 10 could then crown its own national champ.
Respectfully disagree. Forget Duke, Virginia, Stanford, and Cal. They add nothing and would all be a drag on payouts.

I’d hope they try for ND, Florida State, Clemson, and Miami (with FSU) instead. Wishful thinking as I expect at least 2 of those schools to go SEC but getting more exposure and regional interest in South Carolina and Florida would be huge.

Two of the schools on my bucket list for games. Autzen at night is supposed to be insane and a matchup against PSU would be epic. And Sailgating at Washington is something I’ve always wanted to do.

One can dream.
Games at Washington are great. Take a boat from Lake Union across to Union Bay/ UDub for a game- get dropped off right outside the stadium. No traffic. No parking hassle. Then after the game you literally walk a few feet to the dock and sail right back to downtown Seattle. No sitting in a parking lot waiting to exit and then traveling at a snail’s pace until you get out of town. It was the best way to get to a game ever.

Respectfully disagree. Forget Duke, Virginia, Stanford, and Cal. They add nothing and would all be a drag on payouts.

I’d hope they try for ND, Florida State, Clemson, and Miami (with FSU) instead. Wishful thinking as I expect at least 2 of those schools to go SEC but getting more exposure and regional interest in South Carolina and Florida would be huge.
While I love your choices for football, I think it js important to bring in basketball superpowers like Duke and UNC. Overall, there’s a lot of market value in terms of moving into the growing state of North Carolina. In fact, the SEC and Big Ten are going to be fighting for those two schools eventually. I think UVA, Stanford, and Cal hold value in terms of coming in under a reduced revenue agreement. In the end, there needs to be a pod of 6 out west and a contiguous eastern flank of schools as well to make travel viable. I would love to bring in the 2 Florida schools, but I’m not sure how viable that would be for them to be separated from the rest of the conference. Similarly it’s not reasonable to have UCLA and USC living on their own at West long-term.

The VA schools don't have any more of an out than any of the other schools. There was a fabricated story a while back that they could get out of the GOR because the VA state legislature hadn't approved it. It wasn't true and I've yet to see anyone other than message board posters write anything about. The first problem is/was that the legislature doesn't have the authority to approve or disapprove that or any other agreement involving the schools. The VA executive branch does and, in this case, did. The same process was followed multiple times with both schools. Moreover, the VA executive isn't going to cede its authority under the state constitution over a college sports deal; it opens a pandora's box that would have impacts that would dwarf any benefit of getting out of the GOR with the ACC. The second problem is that even under the proposed theory, the schools have no case against the ACC. The conference could easily prove that they acted in good faith, and the schools would have the impossible job of establishing that the conference was somehow responsible for their failure to obtain legislative approval their complaint claims was required. The schools would be lucky to escape without paying the conference's legal fees and court costs.

Last edited:
Seriously ? Let me put it this way ----- Rockne, the Gipper, the Four Horsemen and on and on, Every CF program wants to play Notre Dame, the most iconic and legendary program of all time. Conferences need Notre Dame --------- Notre Dame doesn't need a conference. When any CF fan starts thinking of CF, the very first school that pops into their mind is Notre Dame

• Haha
Reactions: Ski
Seriously ? Let me put it this way ----- Rockne, the Gipper, the Four Horsemen and on and on, Every CF program wants to play Notre Dame, the most iconic and legendary program of all time. Conferences need Notre Dame --------- Notre Dame doesn't need a conference. When any CF fan starts thinking of CF, the very first school that pops into their mind is Notre Dame
ND will be in a conference by the 2025 season. In the age of super conferences it will be impossible to be independent.

I thought @wolve1972 had wrote this momentarily.

kudos.

Reactions: brupsu
From the ACC for the B1G the prize would be UNC and Ga Tech. NC and Atlanta media market. Other aren't really that important.

From the ACC for the B1G the prize would be UNC and Ga Tech. NC and Atlanta media market. Other aren't really that important.

By far and away the most significant team for the Big Ten in the current ACC (ignoring Notre Dame, of course) is Florida State.

Reactions: indy1203
The VA schools don't have any more of an out than any of the other schools. There was a fabricated story a while back that they could get out of the GOR because the VA state legislature hadn't approved it. It wasn't true and I've yet to see anyone other than message board posters write anything about. The first problem is/was that the legislature doesn't have the authority to approve or disapprove that or any other agreement involving the schools. The VA executive branch does and, in this case, did. The same process was followed multiple times with both schools. Moreover, the VA executive isn't going to cede its authority under the state constitution over a college sports deal; it opens a pandora's box that would have impacts that would dwarf any benefit of getting out of the GOR with the ACC. The second problem is that even under the proposed theory, the schools have no case against the ACC. The conference could easily prove that they acted in good faith, and the schools would have the impossible job of establishing that the conference was somehow responsible for their failure to obtain legislative approval their complaint claims was required. The schools would be lucky to escape without paying the conference's legal fees and court costs.
Not a fabricated story from what I understand (heard it from a lawyer that works for a VA delegate). The biggest challenge and risk is standing and how long it takes the courts to play it out because it ends up in Federal Court by the time all is said and done. But, the legislature absolutely has ultimate control over an interstate agreement that impacts the Commonwealth.

While I love your choices for football, I think it js important to bring in basketball superpowers like Duke and UNC. Overall, there’s a lot of market value in terms of moving into the growing state of North Carolina. In fact, the SEC and Big Ten are going to be fighting for those two schools eventually. I think UVA, Stanford, and Cal hold value in terms of coming in under a reduced revenue agreement. In the end, there needs to be a pod of 6 out west and a contiguous eastern flank of schools as well to make travel viable. I would love to bring in the 2 Florida schools, but I’m not sure how viable that would be for them to be separated from the rest of the conference. Similarly it’s not reasonable to have UCLA and USC living on their own at West long-term.
I just don’t know how the basketball will work out. Right now it’s controlled by the NCAA who uses it for their funding. Until they lose that control, the basketball value is limited which leaves schools like Duke, Kansas, and even Virginia in a real tough spot in realignment.

I also don’t see the reduced revenue/ partial share argument either. Sure, some schools are desperate and may accept it short term, but eventually they will want equal shares. The entire time teams like Stanford, Cal, Georgia Tech etc are in a conference they will be a money drag on everyone both at partial and full share. I just don’t see how people write off Oregon and Washington as not being of a great enough value but then talk about Stanford and Cal who are infinitely worse.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Oregon is a ratings powerhouse nationally. They add value. Washington has respectable tv ratings but doesn’t add value.
I don't disagree, but I can't imagine just bringing 3 pac12 teams in. You'll need a 4th. Washington is the next best.

By far and away the most significant team for the Big Ten in the current ACC (ignoring Notre Dame, of course) is Florida State.
I hope the BIG keeps ignoring Notre Dame. Hopefully they end up on the outside when all this settles.

Does the BIG grab FSU over Miami if given a choice? I'm really not familiar with the academics of each school or whatever other criteria the BIG uses. Football wise, both seem to be in a similar position. Although FSU had a good year last season.

I don't disagree, but I can't imagine just bringing 3 pac12 teams in. You'll need a 4th. Washington is the next best.
I agree. I am referring to who actually adds tv market value per school to the conference. Oregon (top 15 in tv ratings) probably adds net value while Washington is probably a revenue neutral addition. Both should be invited into the conference. I think we need 6 schools from out west.

I hope the BIG keeps ignoring Notre Dame. Hopefully they end up on the outside when all this settles.

Does the BIG grab FSU over Miami if given a choice? I'm really not familiar with the academics of each school or whatever other criteria the BIG uses. Football wise, both seem to be in a similar position. Although FSU had a good year last season.
Yes, FSU fits the mold of the Big Ten which is a lot of big state schools. FSU also has a much bigger fanbase then Miami (watch a Miami game and lucky to have 30K in the stands sometimes).

If Big Ten had their pick of the ACC litter they would add FSU, UNC, UVA, and Clemson as that gets them in 4 states and are the big draws (except for UVA but UVA just seems to be way more Big Ten than Va Tech for whatever reason).

I mean the SEC is obviously going to battle to get Clemson, UNC, and FSU as those are the three prizes in the conference.

Ultimately, UNC and NC State will split to the Big 10 and SEC just like Va Tech and UVA will split and one wind up in each conference. So each conference will have an in state school in North Carolina and Virginia. FSU will be a battle and hopefully Big Ten can win that one. I think Clemson ends up in the SEC. When the ACC implodes, then ND will have no other choice most likely to then move to a conference. Big Ten seems obvious but I think ND just wants to stick up their middle finger to the Big Ten one last and final time and tests the SEC or some type of the deal with the Big 12.

Most overrated CF team in the modern era. Can’t remember the last time I watched more than one half of a ND game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT