ADVERTISEMENT

Remembering on Memorial Day...

T J

May 29, 2001

MEMORIAL DAY

"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends." —John 15:12-14
2016-05-25-a92fa0aa_large.jpg

"I am well aware of the toil and blood and treasure that it will cost to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States." —John Adams

We set aside Memorial Day to honor the service and sacrifice of generations of our Armed Forces Patriots, now departed, who defended American Liberty with honor.

Accordingly, I invite you to join our tribute to fallen American Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines and Coast Guardsmen.

On Memorial Day, flags should be flown at half-staff from sunrise until noon, your local time.

Please join those honoring veterans across our great nation by observing a moment of silence at 3:00 p.m. local time for remembrance and prayer.

Finally, extend a personal word of gratitude and comfort to surviving family members who grieve for a beloved warrior.

Semper Vigilans Fortis Paratus et Fidelis

a24e60f67e092acb9af763d6ae0fd4fd020694dd0132a3e3ef395bb8d5f0cac5.jpg

Last edited:
To my uncle and all the other brave men who flew these and never came home
00910460_012_1_.jpg
My uncle Chester was a pilot on this type of bomber during WWII. On his last mission over Germany, his plane was hit badly and it was going down. He was the last one to bail out. Unfortunately, his parachute failed to open and he died. The local VFW was named after him. He also was issued a silver star after his death. I will never forget Uncle Chester.

I was driving this morning to play golf and had the top down as I passed our community cemetery. Men in fatigues were gathering to do their 21 gun salute. I frankly felt odd as I rode between their parked cars and it stuck with me today. After golf I stopped by my father’s cemetery. The grave side flags were numerous and frankly humbling. My dad was a WW II veteran. I like to read history and it’s hard to imagine how perilous the time was as the USA was entering the war. All of Europe sans England had fallen. The world as we know it would have been different. I’m very glad I stopped by today. It’s a memory I will carry with me. Glad I did it. Those many , many men put the world on their shoulders. I sort of forgotten that.

Recall building a Riddell model of the plane when I was a kid...30 years after the war maybe? Now looking back 30 years wasn't that long ago.

Carter was elected 30 years after WWII.

His presidency was closer to WWII than we are now to his presidency.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT