ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: Players to Watch at PIAA Championships

RyanSnyder

BWI Recruiting Analyst
Silver Member
Nov 2, 2013
Bellefonte
The PIAA Football Championships started Thursday, but when it comes to prospects Penn State is interested in, the most notable players will be playing either today or Saturday. Here's the remaining schedule for those wondering:

2A Game - Fri. - 1 PM - Wilmington vs. Southern Columbia
5A Game - Fri. - 7 PM - Manheim Central vs. Penn Hills

3A Game - Sat. - 12 PM - Aliquippa vs. Middletown
6A Game - Sat. - 6 PM - St. Joseph's Prep vs. Harrisburg

As of now, there are two players that hold scholarship offers from the staff: 2020 WR Julian Fleming and 2021 QB Kyle McCord. Fleming and S. Columbia will play this afternoon, while McCord and St. Joe's will play Saturday evening. I just went to watch McCord last weekend. Click Here to read that thread if you missed it.

I think there are two other players to keep a close eye on in the 6A game: 2021 LB Jeremiah Trotter Jr. and 2021 WR Marvin Harrison Jr. Both St. Joe's prospects have been on campus already. I could definitely see Franklin and his staff offering one or the pair this spring or summer, especially if they decide to camp with the staff.

Of course, LB Andre White for Harrisburg is another player you all should know by now. Penn State is happy with its linebacker haul, but they're still chipping away at White. That should tell you how much they like him. White attended the game against Ohio State in September and the staff would still like to host him for an official visit, but White continues to say all the right things in regards to Texas A&M. White was just added to the Rivals250 this week.

Another notable player to keep an eye on is 2020 QB Evan Simon, who plays for Manheim Central. As of now, I don't get the impression that PSU is going to offer him, but we can't rule it out. He's a very good player. Simon has been on campus a few times and has also camped with the staff, so they know what he has to offer by now. I feel like an offer would've probably come by now, but we'll see. That could change. Pitt and West Virginia are his top two offers at the moment.

2019 LB Corey Thomas is the top player for Penn Hills. He camped at Penn State as a safety this past summer, but it was always clear that he was going to grow into a linebacker. 2020 WR Aakeem Snell only holds an offer from Howard at the moment, but I could see him playing in the MAC or at a lower-tier power five school. Boston College, Pitt and Syracuse have all shown interest. 2019 Ath. Daequan Hardy will be the top prospect in this game. Michigan State and Nebraska have both offered.

PSU hasn't shown much interest in 2020 LB Zuriah Fisher, but the Aliquippa prospect did claim an offer from Syracuse back in May. 2019 DB Marlin 'MJ' Devonshire is the best player in that Aliquippa - Middletown game. PSU showed real interest, but they just earned commitments from other DBs earlier in the cycle. I think PSU possibly would've offered if they missed out on others. Last time I asked about him, West Virginia was the team to beat. 2019 WR Will Gipson is another player to watch at Penn Hills. He just committed to Pitt last week.

One player Penn State has shown interest in is RB/WR Richie Sykes Jr. from Middletown. The staff has hosted him for two games this season and I could see them offering him a preferred walk-on spot. Keep an eye on him. As of now, I think he'll end up at an FCS school, like a Delaware or Villanova, but he's spoken highly of the PSU staff.

I plan to start a live thread around 1 PM for the 2A game. I stayed back in State College this weekend, but Friedman is expected to be at Fleming's game this afternoon. Normally, I'm in Hershey for basically all but the 1A game, but with PSU hosting a bunch of prospects this weekend, I didn't want to miss anything if news breaks Saturday.

I'm actually going to try and record Fleming's game today, then post some clips of his best plays so everyone at work can see how he's doing. Check back with me this afternoon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News