ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Notes: Oct. 23

RyanSnyder

BWI Recruiting Analyst
Silver Member
Nov 2, 2013
Bellefonte
I originally planned to post these notes yesterday, but I decided to hold off and wait for a few other things. These are definitely the most in-depth notes I've ever posted. Hope you like them.

Player Feedback

OL Matt Bockhorst - FILM - Cincinnati, Ohio - St. Xavier - 2017

As I've been stressing for a few weeks now, I'm confident that Penn State is the team to beat with Bockhorst. I even thought that, if the Irish do offer, PSU's consistent contact since the summer should keep PSU at the top of his list. Nothing has changed following his trip to Notre Dame last weekend.

However, you may also remember that, after a conversation I had with him in the beginning of October, I got the impression that Matt could make a commitment shortly after his season or in December. After speaking with him earlier this week, I no longer believe that's the case.

Obviously, with more than a year to go before he can sign his letter of intent, Bockhorst wants to see what other schools offer. I don't believe he's waiting for a Notre Dame offer anymore. I get the impression he doesn't care about that as much now. What I do know is that he really wants to get to know some of the other players that are committed to his favorite schools. This is very important to Bockhorst, but since it's so early in the process, it's basically impossible for him to do that, so he's decided to hold off until at least the spring to get a better feel for how he fits in with the other players at whichever schools ultimately emerge as his top three or five. Personally, I think that's a great decision. As important as it is to develop relationships with the coaches, these players spend more time with their teammates than anyone.

Another important development is that he also picked up a big offer from Clemson recently and the Tigers definitely have his interest. He actually just visited Clemson the week before his Notre Dame visit for the game against Georgia Tech and he really enjoyed his time there. Another thing to keep in mind is that his brother actually plays football at Furman, which is located about 30 miles from Clemson's campus. His brother is only a freshman, so having someone in his family so close to him is something that both Matt and his parents like. It would also be easy for them to potentially attend both games if the schedules line up.

I'll continue to keep in close contact with Matt throughout the final month of the season and into the winter, but I'm confident PSU should still be considered the team to beat. Between Herb Hand and James Franklin, he speaks with someone from the staff basically every other day. Also, Sean Clifford's commitment should have a real impact on his eventual decision.

To recap, things continue to look very positive for the Nittany Lions, but I no longer believe he'll make a commitment before the start of the new year.

DT Fred Hansard
- FILM - Princeton, N.J. - Hun School - 2017

I caught up with Princeton (N.J.) Hun School four-star DT Fred Hansard earlier this week.

As is the case for so many of these top 100 prospects, all the calls and texts are really starting to wear on Hansard. I believe I have a better relationship with him than most reporters because of how early PSU began pursuing him and it's been difficult lately for me to catch up with him, so remember that as we move forward. Don't be surprised if Hansard ends up drastically cutting back on all the interviews. Honestly, it's tough for me to say I blame him. I know how many calls and texts I send in a given week, so when you multiply that by all the different schools that have offered, plus all the different sites that cover those schools, I completely understand.

Anyway, things continue to look good for PSU. He noted that he talks to with Penn State staff more than most schools. He's also speaking with Franklin on a weekly basis. Consistent contact with the head coach is always a great sign.

"I've been talking to them for awhile now. I talk to Coach Spencer and Coach Franklin. I also talk to my recruiting coordinator, Coach Donovan. We've been talking for months now and I've been there a couple times, so I have a good feel for what they're really like. I think our relationship is really good. We literally talk almost everyday, so I have a good feel for them already."

Since Hansard plays at the Hun School, which is in New Jersey's prep league, he won't be participating in the New Jersey state playoffs. The Hun School is currently 5-0 and they have three games remaining, so it looks like there's a good chance they do make the championship game. I'm pretty sure that'll be on Nov. 14 - I do have to double check that though. If that's the case, he should be able to visit Penn State for the White Out against Michigan the following week, Nov. 21. He would also like to check out Pitt, who recently offered, while a visit to Rutgers could also develop.

"I am trying to get back to Penn State. I've already been up there three times, but the coaches always want me to visit. My season will be ending in a couple weeks and that'll give me some time next month to see a couple schools. I'm looking at Penn State, Pitt and probably Rutgers. It's a lot easier to get to the local schools during the season, so once I get done with my season, I should be able to check out some of those schools for a game."

As for what's standing out the most about Penn State right now, Hansard said, "Just the family vibe. It's really important to them and they mean it. That's important to me, too. But mainly, I really like their academics. I want to study something like forensics. Penn State is a great school, so I like that."

Two other things to note…

1) Hansard had a minor injury to his meniscus. I don't believe it was a complete tear, so I don't believe he had surgery, but he never clarified that for me. I made a bonehead move and didn't clarify that on the phone. When I reached out once I was typing out the quotes, he didn't respond. Either way, it's nothing major. He expects to play this week or next. I believe he missed the past few games, but he didn't really open up when it comes to details.

2) He said that Florida, Clemson and Alabama are the three schools that he speaks with the most, but haven't offered yet. Like most top prospects, he has a lot of interest in all three, so keep an eye on that. He also mentioned Notre Dame as a school he really wants to visit, while Ole Miss and Auburn are two additional schools high on his priority list. I believe there's a good chance he ends up taking a week in the spring or summer to visit multiple SEC programs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News