ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Notebook: Recapping Pitt

RyanSnyder

BWI Recruiting Analyst
Silver Member
Nov 2, 2013
Bellefonte
It's been another solid recruiting weekend for Penn State. Below are a few notes I've gathered over the past couple of days.

The staff did lose one commitment in OL RJ Adams, but they also added DE/LB Zuriah Fisher. We knew Penn State didn't want Adams to take this official visit to Kentucky, so it feels like PSU cut ties with Adams more so than Adams making the decision to open everything up. I don't know exactly what all took place, but if you haven't noticed, Adams still hasn't said anything publicly. I've been talking to his family regularly over the past few months and now everyone has gone quiet, which I understand. Whether he visits again or not is still unclear.

As for Fisher, if you haven't seen his film this season, he's off to a pretty strong start. I linked his film against Montour and Clairton below. He checked in this weekend at 6-2.5, 255 pounds. For that size, he moves well, so I understand why PSU is planning to give him a look at linebacker first. Whether he stays there will just depend on how much he grows. He certainly has the frame to grow into a defensive end.

- I already hit on Saf. Elijah Gaines earlier this week. Click Here to read the complete story if you missed it. Michigan is out of the picture now, so this feels like just a matter of time for Penn State. Episcopal has just two Friday games left on his schedule, both of which take place these next two weekends. I know he doesn't have anything planned for this upcoming weekend and it didn't sound like he was planning anything for Sept. 28-29. He's been to Penn State more than any other school and he knows the staff wants to add him as soon as possible, so I'd personally be surprised if this drags out all the way until the end of the season like he mentioned. He's pretty laid-back, so maybe he'll take his time, but I don't get the impression that North Carolina, Syracuse and Virginia are all that close to PSU right now.

- There were quite a few solid 2021 prospects in town this past weekend, including Pennsylvania OL Nolan Rucci. I decided not to bug Nolan for a full interview. He's been on campus more than any other player in attendance this past weekend. He's seen it all before. With that said, I do speak with his father, Todd, regularly. He shared a few thoughts surrounding this past weekend.

"I thought it was fun to really share the rivalry between Pitt and Penn State with him this weekend," said Nolan's father. "When I was growing up, this game was everything. I told him on the way up that if people think this is going to be a blow out, they're going to be wrong. This isn't a normal game. It's a backyard brawl. It doesn't matter where these two teams are ranked. So, I thought it was good for him to get a feel for that experience. For us, I think the real takeaway from this visit, and really every visit moving forward, is that he's beginning to really see Penn State for what it is. He's been there so many times now that he's looking past the shine of recruiting. He's looking past the flash of recruiting. Now, he's really starting to see things for what they are. The more we get up there and meet their players, spend time with their coaches, he's getting a better feel for what life is really like there."

As of now, Rucci and his family don't have any visits in the works. Todd is an assistant coach at Warwick, so he's busy breaking down film most weekends and preparing for the next game. He also wants Nolan primarily focused on his team, so I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until after the season to take a few trips that are further away. On top of that, they also see his brother Hayden at Wisconsin every few weeks, so that schedule makes it tough for them to go see games at Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. For those wondering, Rucci checked in this weekend at just under 6-8. He's grown nearly an inch since last fall and weighed right around 275 pounds, which is up about 15 pounds since last season. He's putting on good weight and is beginning to fill out nicely.

- I also caught up with Ath. Zakee Wheatley. Originally, I had him marked as a defensive back, but I get the impression that it's truly 50/50 between safety and wide receiver. He met with Gerad Parker, Terry Smith and Tim Banks this past weekend, as well as regional recruiter Tyler Bowen.

“Everything was great,” Wheatley said. “The experience was one of the most impressive I’ve ever seen. The stadium, the energy, the love [everyone showed]. Everything was first-class. Just all the chanting and the feeling you get. The love they showed the recruits when we were on the sideline was great. Literally, the overall atmosphere is great.”

He added, “I talked to a lot of people. I met with Coach Franklin and talked to Coach [Terry] Smith, Coach [Gerad] Parker and Coach [Tyler] Bowen. We just talked about the opportunity to play there and how they really want me. Coach Parker talked to me about watching how they take shots down the field. They also asked me about my game the previous night and how I played.”

So far, Wheatley has also visited Maryland, Michigan, Michigan St., Pitt, Temple, Virginia and Virginia Tech. He's not going to rush into anything, but I could see myself making a Penn State pick for Wheatley after the season. He spoke highly of the staff following the Lasch Bash and is now set to return for the Michigan game next month. That'll be his third visit to Penn State in five months. He checked in this weekend at just under 6-2 and weighed 177 pounds.

I haven't caught up with the Philadelphia prospects or their coaches yet. For the most part, the players all want to text for interviews. I'd rather wait and try to get them on the phone at some point, so I asked asked DE Elijah Jeudy and Ath. Tysheem Johnson if we could talk some time this weekend. I'm going to try and get them on Sunday. I did notice Saturday that Jeudy has put on some real solid weight since I last saw him in the spring. According to contacts, he checked in at just under 6-2 and weighed 230 pounds. He was right around 215 in April, so he had a pretty good spring. He was in a sling this weekend. I'm not exactly sure what his injury is, but it's clear that he continues to progress in the weight room. With that said, Jeudy still has some work to do academically, so keep that in mind moving forward. Penn State wants to see some progress there because they're vey high on his potential.

Sept 14 - Pitt

PSU Commits

TE Nick Elksnis - FILM - Jacksonville, Fla. - Episcopal - 2021
LB Tyler Elsdon - FILM - Ashland, Pa. - North Schulkill
LB Curtis Jacobs - FILM - Owings Mills, Md. - McDonogh
DT Fatorma Mulbah - FILM - Harrisburg, Pa. - Susquehanna Twp.

LB Zuriah Fisher - FILM - Aliquippa, Pa. - Aliquippa - OFFICIAL VISIT ***
Saf. Elijah Gaines - FILM
- Alexandria, Va. - Episcopal - OFFICIAL VISIT ***
OL Ronald Novosedliak - FILM
- Pittsburgh, Pa. - North Hills
LB Max Tillett - FILM - Catawissa, Pa. - Southern Columbia
DE Jake Wilson - FILM - Nazareth, Pa. - Nazareth

QB Tahj Bullock -
FILM - Jersey City, N.J. - St. Peter's Prep
DL Dorien Ford - FILM - Baldwin, Pa. - Baldwin ***
WR Eric Gentry - FILM
- Philadelphia, Pa. - Neumann-Goretti
Ath. Tysheem Johnson - FILM - Philadelphia, Pa. - Neumann-Goretti ***
RB Eric McDaniels - FILM
- Richmond, Va. - Henrico
Saf. Javon Mcintyre - FILM - Philadelphia, Pa. - Imhotep Charter
Saf. Saint McLeod - FILM - Philadelphia, Pa. - Imhotep Charter
OL Nolan Rucci - FILM - Lititz, Pa. - Warwick ***
CB Shafeek Smith - FILM
- Philadelphia, Pa. - Imhotep Charter
Ath. Zakee Wheatley - FILM - Severn, Md. - Archbishop Spalding ***

WR Anthony Ivey - FILM - Lancaster, Pa. - Manheim Twp.
LB Anthony Johnson - FILM - Philadelphia, Pa. - Neumann-Goretti ***
DE Keith Miles Jr.
- FILM - Jersey City, N.J. - St. Peter's Prep ***
RB Nicholas Singleton - FILM
- Shillington, Pa. - Govenor Mifflin ***
Ath. Enai White - FILM
- Philadelphia, Pa. - Imhotep Charter ***

WR Rahmir Stewart
- Philadelphia, Pa. - Imhotep Charter

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT