ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: Junior Day Recap

RyanSnyder

BWI Recruiting Analyst
Silver Member
Nov 2, 2013
Bellefonte
- I'll be reaching out to all of these prospects until about 10 PM. I'll continue to update this thread throughout the evening.

Saf./LB Nick Cross - FILM - Hyattsville, Md. - DeMatha ***

- On what stood out

"The campus is really beautiful and the vibe given off by Coach Franklin, Coach Banks and the rest of the staff really welcomes you. I like how they take care of their players and the energy that is given off by everyone. I love how they are trying to develop the whole perso. The coaches were stunned at how big I was and they said they really wanted to make me become a part of the Penn State tradition and family."

- On where Penn State now stands

"I think they have moved up my board a good amount. I hope to be back up there soon. They are real contenders now."

Ryan's Take: I think there's a good chance he ends up playing Koa Farmer's linebacker position rather than defensive back, but he's being looked at both positions right now. Cross is a very good athlete and a bright student, so he fits in at PSU. Notre Dame has consistently been mentioned as his early favorite, but I feel like PSU is right in the mix now. Keep an eye on Cross for the Blue-White Game.

LB Tommy Eichenberg - FILM - Cleveland, Ohio - St. Ignatius

- On what grabbed his attention today and where he stands with PSU.

"I thought it was a great environment and very intense. I talked to Coach Pry and he told my family and I how they're very interested in me. They love how I play. They're mainly making sure that they have enough room for me since they have a lot of linebackers in the grade above me."

- On where Penn State now stands

"They definitely would stand out if I get an offer. I think Coach Pry is a great coach. He knows the game really well.

Ryan's Take: Penn State took Jesse Luketa and Nick Tarburton last year. They both play Eichenberg's position. Of course, Micah Parsons is also playing linebacker now. I think if PSU didn't land three MLBs last year, Eichenberg would have an offer by now. We'll see if that changes, but at the moment, it's all about outside linebackers in 2019.

WR John Metchie - FILM - Hagerstown, Md. - Saint James School ***

- On what he saw, what stood out, etc.

"I got to see practice, which was a first for me. I liked the energy it had. They had fun and got after it. Also, Coach Corley and I are developing a really good relationship."

Ryan's Take: Penn State remains in good shape with Metchie. The change at wide receiver coach didn't come at a great time - Metchie was becoming very close with Gattis - but Corley is doing a great job to pick up where Gattis left off. As of now, Notre Dame feels like the only other school that he's really interested in. A visit is going to come at some point before the end of spring, but I still like PSU's odds here.

OL EJ Ndoma-Ogar - FILM - Allen, Texas - Allen ***

I caught up with Texas OL EJ Ndoma-Ogar. Click the link below.

Ndoma-Ogar recaps PSU visit

QB Taisun Phommachanh - FILM - Avon, Conn. - Avon Old Farm ***

- On what he saw and did

"I mainly learned about the coaches and how they coach. Seeing them in action today allowed me see more of their coaching style. Also, getting to know and talk to Coach Franklin about how I fit their system made feel good about playing for a program like that."

"So, I was just getting comfortable with the situation for me. It's been good building a relationship with their coaching staff."

- On where PSU stands after this most recent road trip

"Penn State is definitely one the of the schools I like a lot. Honestly, I have to sit down and figure things out and give it a lot of thought before I can chose any schools or narrow my list. I saw a lot of good schools this week. It gave me a lot to think about.

"But Penn State is one of the schools that has all of what I'm looking for, which is great academics and great football."

Ryan's Take: I still feel good about Penn State's chances here. Academics should really help PSU out. That's important to his family. It's also not far from home. I also think there's a real chance he could make a commitment in the coming months. This last trip was a lot of travel. He wants to see a few more schools, but it doesn't feel like he's planning to wait this out. Keep an eye on him in April and May or whenever he's able to take a few more visits.

OL Saleem Wormley - FILM - Smyrna, Del. - Smyrna - 2019 ***

- On what all he saw and who he met with.

"I already had an idea of what the facility looked like, so I wasn't too about surprised about that, but the energy and the atmosphere in practice was great. I didn't get to see the locker room or get around campus because I had to leave early, so I didn't see everything. I did meet with Coach Franklin and Coach Limegrover."

- On what Franklin had to say and what a PSU offer means to him

"Coach [Franklin] really wanted to know what I thought about the things I was good at so far and the things he could improve on. He said they all loved my film and that they wanted to meet me in-person to see what i kind of guy I am.

"This offer mean a lot because I've been waiting on this offer. My friends know I wanted this one for a long time, so they are definitely gonna be one of my top schools when I go to make a decision."

cleardot.gif

Ryan's Take: Wormley was the only prospect to add an offer from Penn State this afternoon. He's grabbed the attention of some big-time schools lately, so this isn't a big surprise. A lot of people have mentioned Notre Dame with Wormley but I get the vibe that PSU should be right in the mix now. Florida State also has interest, so we'll see if he ends up making a trip down south. PSU left a good vibe today. He's someone to watch now. He's visiting West Virginia on Thursday, North Carolina next month. Wormley will likely return to Notre Dame before the end of spring practice. I think there's a real chance he could return to PSU for the spring game, but we'll see.

QB Michael Alaimo - FILM - Montvale, N.J. - St. Joseph

- On what all he did today

"We spoke with Coach Franklin and Rahne. We also got to see the academic side of it and Franklin's commitment to graduating his kids. Also, I learned about the ability to play right away there."

- On where he stands with PSU

"They just want to see me throw in the spring. Coach Rahne is coming out in April to watch me throw."

- On what he thinks of Penn State

"PSU is my top school. They already know that. The facilities are great and the campus is beautiful. We've been out there for two games already. The stadium is sick when it has 107,000 people wearing all white."

Ryan's Take: Alaimo comes from an athletic family - his brother committed to Pitt but ended up at UCLA - and he's going to be one of the better quarterbacks in the region next year. PSU wants two in this class and it's clear that they really want Drew Pyne next year. With that said, keep an eye on Alaimo. He's made it clear that PSU has been a favorite for some time now.

LB Malcolm Britt - FILM - Chesapeake, Va. - Oscar Smith

- On what did stood out today.

"The family atmosphere. I really see the pride and tradition that the Alumni have from being a Penn State graduate. Also, the way each person that spoke to us stressed education and academics, as well as the winning tradition in football. Also, the way they are upgrading all of their facilities was big. I loved the new locker rooms."

- On what all he saw.

"We saw so much today. We went to the indoor facility and watched a lot of the spring practice. I was able to see the position I could be playing close up. It was great to see that it was organized and an up-tempo practice. We saw the new student education center where the players go to study and get tutored. It was newly upgraded with different technology. which was a plus for me because I value my education.

"They also talked about what types of degrees they offer. I was happy to hear I could pursue engineering, so that was cool. The highlight was the time I spent with Coach Pry, the linebacker coach. They use their linebackers and safeties basically the same way I was used last year, so I can see myself while watching film with him. We also talked about the different blitzes and plays the players made last year."

- On where he stands when it comes to a scholarship offer.

"While I was there, Coach Pry told me he was going to go back and watch my film. He asked me how much I weighed in at today, which was 190. With me being only a 10th grader, he knows I will get bigger. I feel like they have interest in me and I would love to come back again to camp."

Ryan's Take: Britt is a good student and he comes from a very good program. Right now, schools have questions about his size and athleticism. He's closer to 5-11 currently, about 175 right now. Some other schools want to see if he's able to improve on speed and quickness. If he's able to show schools his potential, I think the offers will start coming in. There's no character concerns, great in the classroom, so that'll help him.

RB Lamy Constant - FILM - Brooklyn, N.Y. - Poly Prep

- On what all he saw and liked

"The locker room is beautiful and the setup is just mind-blowing. The weight room looks better and better every time I walk through. It just has a good vibe to it. Also, knowing that Saquon [Barkley] has broken every record inside that room is just mind-blowing. It makes you want to push yourself. I also like that it views out to the practice field. It just has the right feeling to it. It looks really good.

"I also saw the newly done team room, which is beautiful. Who wouldn’t want to be in a room like that? I spoke to the new running back coach for most of the time. He is getting those backs right. He is bringing a new vibe out there, a great vibe."

- On where PSU stands

"If they offer me, they will be really high on my list. They are in the process of evaluating my film since they changed their running back coaches. It's a great school with rigorous and prestigious academic standards. It's also outstanding at football, so there's a lot to like."

Ryan's Take: The 2020 class is going to be pretty stacked at running back. Constant is one of the players to watch, so I do believe he's a scholarship contender as we move forward. It's clear that Jalen Berger and MarShawn Lloyd are higher on PSU's list right now, as are a few others - PSU has already offered eight RBs in 2020 - but keep an eye on Constant. Michigan has already offered and his list will grow substantially.

TE Michael Mayer - FILM - Alexandria, Ky. - Covington Catholic ***

- On what stood out

"One of the things that stood out to me were the coaches, no doubt. The coaches seemed like the most genuine, down-to-earth people. Coach Franklin is definitely doing something and has been his whole life. The coaches and the people around the school will play a big part when I’m deciding where to go. Also, their facilities are great.

"Another thing I liked was the energy Coach Franklin and all the coaches brought with them to the first full-pad practice. The energy was crazy in the indoor field."

- On where Penn State stands

"They are definitely up there, no doubt. I'll probably visit again in the summer."

Ryan's Take: I've really enjoyed getting to Mayer over the past month. He's very bright, very mature, would fit in at Penn State's really well. PSU has already offered, so it's clear that the staff thinks highly of him, as well. I could definitely see the staff pushing Mayer to attend the Lasch Bash come July. They made a good first impression today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News