ADVERTISEMENT

Reason for delay until Oct 23rd/24th ?

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
Perhaps once again gives the BIG leadership time to wiggle out if testing regimen doesn't work well or it could be to figure out the scheduling?

What say you?

Reactions: dailybuck777
Isn’t there some rule about pre season practice has to be xx number if says bevies the season starts?

Just guessing they are blowing off the previous weeks of fall practice.

I think it is simply the absolute latest "line in the sand" date possible to play, and still be a realistic part of the CFP. The realistic number to be considered for the CFP is about 8 games. Any less and let's be honest, even at 7-0 you are not getting in. 10/24 is the absolute latest they could push out the start, and still get in 8 games + a B1G Champ Game.

I think they simply looked at the calendar. Sun. 12/20 is the CFP Selection, and then started counting Saturdays backwards from 12/19.

Hope there is an explanation that makes sense. I know many on here will ridicule the testing protocol and the updated info on heart conditions, but if you take off your political lens, you can accept those as legitimate concerns. The problem is how is that different right now or on 10/10 than it is on 10/24? Seems like if they have been practicing without pads all along, 3 weeks of full on practice would/should be enough to be ready, right? Waiting till 10/24 obviously puts it at 5 weeks of full-on practice.
The extra time is probably to our benefit with a new offense going in though.

Reactions: step.eng69
Perhaps once again gives the BIG leadership time to wiggle out if testing regimen doesn't work well or it could be to figure out the scheduling?

What say you?
As I understand it, some players (not necessarily PSU) aren't even on campus. There is also a lot of scheduling and infrastructure that needs to be put in place. I can't even imagine how much has to be done between now and then. So I am not skeptical. Also, a local NFL player blew out his Achilles in camp, and the team's trainer was interviewed. He stated that they anticipated more NFL injuries because they didn't have offseason conditioning. His analogy was taking a sports car that had been in storage for six months and taking it out and winding it up to 200 mph immediately. He was talking about stretching, getting into running shape, getting into game shape, taking hits, etc. Makes sense to me....Point being you've got to have several weeks of organized practice even before full speed practices, let alone games.

As I understand it, some players (not necessarily PSU) aren't even on campus. There is also a lot of scheduling and infrastructure that needs to be put in place. I can't even imagine how much has to be done between now and then. So I am not skeptical. Also, a local NFL player blew out his Achilles in camp, and the team's trainer was interviewed. He stated that they anticipated more NFL injuries because they didn't have offseason conditioning. His analogy was taking a sports car that had been in storage for six months and taking it out and winding it up to 200 mph immediately. He was talking about stretching, getting into running shape, getting into game shape, taking hits, etc. Makes sense to me....Point being you've got to have several weeks of organized practice even before full speed practices, let alone games.

I thought I heard or read MSU and Bucky sports are quarantined, so would put them behind...

Hope there is an explanation that makes sense. I know many on here will ridicule the testing protocol and the updated info on heart conditions, but if you take off your political lens, you can accept those as legitimate concerns. The problem is how is that different right now or on 10/10 than it is on 10/24? Seems like if they have been practicing without pads all along, 3 weeks of full on practice would/should be enough to be ready, right? Waiting till 10/24 obviously puts it at 5 weeks of full-on practice.
The extra time is probably to our benefit with a new offense going in though.
CJF said he doesn't want the players to have idle time, so no bye week also keeps them occupied with football and hopefully in more of a bubble situation. Bye weeks usually lead to time away from team activities.

What say you?

No I actually think a number of coaches pushed for that much preparation for the athlete’s safety especially after the 12 hours they were limited to.

No I actually think a number of coaches pushed for that much preparation for the athlete’s safety especially after the 12 hours they were limited to.
Again. This does make it better for us with a new OC.

I thought I read on Twitter that Wisky was unable to go on 10/17. Convenient that “Uncle “ Barry is part of the scheduling team.
You mean a Penn State official is not part of tbe insiders club? Imagine that!

So that OSU and UM have adequate time to bring in more immediately eligible transfers to fill any gaps that were caused by early opt-outs or injuries.

Reactions: drblue1977
The late start along with the positivity rules and quarantine rules, the B1G made it nearly impossible for the season to actually happen, but will take credit in saying "see, we saved the season"

Reactions: JustinTyme
In the end it doesn’t matter. Whether season is a success or a failure, it is what it is at this point.

I thought I read on Twitter that Wisky was unable to go on 10/17. Convenient that “Uncle “ Barry is part of the scheduling team.

This is false. I listened to the presser yesterday and Barry said the scheduling committee which he led and Franklin was part of provided a schedule that started a week earlier but the president's council turn the down and said they wanted another week to make sure everything was in place. The blame lies at the feet of the president's council for the start date.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
This is false. I listened to the presser yesterday and Barry said the scheduling committee which he led and Franklin was part of provided a schedule that started a week earlier but the president's council turn the down and said they wanted another week to make sure everything was in place. The blame lies at the feet of the president's council for the start date.
Yes, it was the presidents that were skittish. I believe a 10/17 start date was proposed. All the coaches and AD's want to start ASAP.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
Yes, it was the presidents that were skittish. I believe a 10/17 start date was proposed. All the coaches and AD's want to start ASAP.
It was one final "fu" by the presidents and their overblown egos to show who is really "in charge".

Likely factors are the time needed to set up the required testing schedule, team/player availability and team/player readiness in terms of practicing. Yes, they've been practicing but on a more limited basis than usual. I seem to remember CJF saying much earlier in the year that ideally he'd want 4 weeks to prepare once a start date was announced and in a pinch he could probably cut that down to 3 weeks by making some sacrifices. I'd imagine every coach had their own timetable in mind and they likely asked their respective presidents to make this known in the recent meetings when a start date was being discussed, and the conference likely catered to the longest timeline requested. Facility preparation (and corresponding operations logistics) could have also been a factor. Idle facilities may need some prep time in order to be ready to be used for the season.

As others said, the Presidents selected the worst possible scheduling scenario presented in hopes that the plan would fail. No coach in his right mind wanted to wait until October 23/24. It leaves you absolutely no wiggle room to reschedule missed games that WILL happen due to the extreme COVID restrictions.

The brain dead schedule they chose will cause absolute chaos after the games are "played" on December 12.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT