ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking all 351 BBall Teams... PSU #68, Pitt #153

SoParkLion

Sep 23, 2001
68. Penn State Nittany Lions
Pat Chambers is an anomaly. He coached six seasons in a power league, has not made the NCAA Tournament once ... and has not been fired. Now, it's Penn State, so a longer leash has to be given. It's nice to see PSU give him another year, because this could be the one. The Nittany Lions will mostly rely on Tony Carr and Shep Garner.

75 Indiana
85 Illinois
87 Syracuse
97 tOSU
104 Nebraska
121 Rutgers
153 sPitt
157 Lehigh
223 Navy
242 Duquesne

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ge-basketball-teams-from-duke-to-alabama-a-m/

I'm allowed to post BBall on a Wednesday.

Pomeroy has us at 40th (60th best offense, 19th defense).

Sagarin and Dan Hanner aren't up yet (though Dan tweeted to expect them around 10/31).

68. Penn State Nittany Lions
Pat Chambers is an anomaly. He coached six seasons in a power league, has not made the NCAA Tournament once ... and has not been fired. Now, it's Penn State, so a longer leash has to be given. It's nice to see PSU give him another year, because this could be the one. The Nittany Lions will mostly rely on Tony Carr and Shep Garner.

75 Indiana
85 Illinois
87 Syracuse
97 tOSU
104 Nebraska
121 Rutgers
153 sPitt
157 Lehigh
223 Navy
242 Duquesne

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ge-basketball-teams-from-duke-to-alabama-a-m/

I'm allowed to post BBall on a Wednesday.
9th in the B1G. Woo hoo!

Reactions: acg116
I don’t follow the sport. What happened to Pitt and O$U?

the three most talented players will be entering their second season. There will be a significant jump in their understanding (and I expect their commitment too) of what it takes to prepare for the season and to finish games. Also, Shep is a different player this year I think. He’s focused on being a shooting guard, and may have a break out 3pt year. If Pierce can’t provide solid offense, defense, and rebounding, and if the three incoming freshman can’t contribute significant minutes, then I think 68 is the floor for this team. If Pierce actually shows some higher level ability and if Harrar or Buttrick can creat a mismatch or two as a stretch 4, then I think we become trouble for a lot more teams.

the three most talented players will be entering their second season. There will be a significant jump in their understanding (and I expect their commitment too) of what it takes to prepare for the season and to finish games. Also, Shep is a different player this year I think. He’s focused on being a shooting guard, and may have a break out 3pt year. If Pierce can’t provide solid offense, defense, and rebounding, and if the three incoming freshman can’t contribute significant minutes, then I think 68 is the floor for this team. If Pierce actually shows some higher level ability and if Harrar or Buttrick can creat a mismatch or two as a stretch 4, then I think we become trouble for a lot more teams.
I'm not sure why Garner will be better this year than last.

I think Stevens will make the biggest jump. Watkins is already good and should be even better.

Don't expect Pierce to make a big contribution on offense. Maybe 5 pts per game. I'd be amazed if Harrar & Buttrick make an impact.

PSU was already a better school academically and athletically, except for Basketball... this was inevitable.

To me it is what it is, I don't like Chambers coaching, but IMO Pitt is an example of why we shouldn't fire him. They ran Dixon out, a guy who had them very competitive and going to the NCAA and now where are they?

I don't expect much, if we make a tourney nice, but CBB is so one sided, why I root so hard for Butler and Gonzaga.

I don’t follow the sport. What happened to Pitt and O$U?

The last five years of Dixon's tenure the program went stagnant. He was against the ACC and it took away from his recruiting base of the Bronx and New York. His style of play did not go very well in the ACC. Therefore recruiting suffered and when we went thru the debacle of Stallings, well I am not even going down that path. It is like a batton death march for Pitt basketball now

The last five years of Dixon's tenure the program went stagnant. He was against the ACC and it took away from his recruiting base of the Bronx and New York. His style of play did not go very well in the ACC. Therefore recruiting suffered and when we went thru the debacle of Stallings, well I am not even going down that path. It is like a batton death march for Pitt basketball now

I still think he was doing pretty well in his last 3 years in the ACC, made the tourney and posted at least 9 conference wins every season. He also had a few upsets.

He just got sick of their dumb fanbase and alum.

I still think he was doing pretty well in his last 3 years in the ACC, made the tourney and posted at least 9 conference wins every season. He also had a few upsets.

He just got sick of their dumb fanbase and alum.

Nate it was still status quo. It really had nothing to do with the fan base. Yes he got to the tournament but as usual it was a one and done. One thing that hurt Jamie, and I know him quite well, is that he lost Pederson. Now that was a blessing in disguise but the hiring of Barnes was another royal clusterf@@k. Really Nordenberg was not as astute in sports as he was academics

Yeah, Stallings has been an absolute disaster of a hire for Pitt so far. With a new athletic director now that didn't hire him, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets canned after either this season or next. Seems like a pretty difficult guy to root for, too.

Dan Hanner's top-50 offensive/defensive ratings are out, and he's got us 25th in the country defensively. Looking for their full team ratings to come out in the next 24 hours

Two reasons IMO:
  1. Reaves
  2. Watkins
Watkins is the real deal. One of the most impressive big men I've seen at PSU as a RS freshman. Reaves is disruptive and gets a lot of steals. Unfortunately PSU gives up a lot on the offensive end with Reaves in the game.

That said PSU was 11th in the B1G giving up 72.7 pts per game. It didn't help that PSU was dead last in both rebounds and rebounding margin.

Last edited:
Dan Hanner's top-50 offensive/defensive ratings are out, and he's got us 25th in the country defensively. Looking for their full team ratings to come out in the next 24 hours

I agree about those two but still 25th is above what they showed with the 'eye test' last year. The parts are greater than the sum at this point. Now, I will say that Banks was one of the worst defenders in D1, so losing him will help there.

I agree about those two but still 25th is above what they showed with the 'eye test' last year. The parts are greater than the sum at this point. Now, I will say that Banks was one of the worst defenders in D1, so losing him will help there.
51st in the country in Pomeroy's adjusted defensive efficiency last year and returning the starting 5, so the expectation would be to take a step forward. Losing Banks won't hurt much at the defensive end. Samuel was a tremendous on-ball defender, but he was really under-utilized, so also shouldn't be a big hit due to the limited minutes.

Villanova at 7 but they don’t mention Donte DiVincenzo who I expect to have a breakout soph season.

I expect PSU to finish higher than that just based on the growth of the Philly kids.
A&L I think we're going to be good. REAL good. Top Ten good, win the craptacular BE again and go on a tear in the NCAA.

All respect to Rollie, Jack Kraft and Screamin' Al, but Jay is the best ever. This is the greatest stretch ever for Villanova.

A&L I think we're going to be good. REAL good. Top Ten good, win the craptacular BE again and go on a tear in the NCAA.

All respect to Rollie, Jack Kraft and Screamin' Al, but Jay is the best ever. This is the greatest stretch ever for Villanova.
I’m really excited to see what Donte can do this season. I’m expecting a POY season. I think the three freshmen will get minutes. I curious about Gillespie, a late bloomer who has a game. He put 48 on Neumann Goretti and Kentucky recruit, PG Quadre Green (think that’s his name).

Spellman is listed at 6’9 and 245 now, down 15-20 lbs. He’ll be a difference maker. Then Brunson and Bridges, both possible 2nd rounders. I’m not buying any Painter hype. Sorry, Jay.

Yep. Should be a good year.:D

I’m really excited to see what Donte can do this season. I’m expecting a POY season. I think the three freshmen will get minutes. I curious about Gillespie, a late bloomer who has a game. He put 48 on Neumann Goretti and Kentucky recruit, PG Quadre Green (think that’s his name).

Spellman is listed at 6’9 and 245 now, down 15-20 lbs. He’ll be a difference maker. Then Brunson and Bridges, both possible 2nd rounders. I’m not buying any Painter hype. Sorry, Jay.

Yep. Should be a good year.:D
If Painter can come off the bench for 8-10 minutes a night to give a little help to Omari and EP, bang around and use up those 5 fouls, grab a couple boards and collect a little garbage, that's just fine - that's a good contribution and very helpful.

My quasi-inside source says don't worry about Gillespie - he is a player.

The guy that intrigues me is Phil. IF he is recovered and can stay on the court, even for say 20 minutes a night, boy that is a real shot in the arm. We'll be rolling 8 in the rotation and Painter coming in for spot minutes - that's not bad at all.

Reactions: artsandletters
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT