ADVERTISEMENT

Rank your top 10 active college football coaches

Laughable, MSU's record for the 5-year period prior to Saban's arrival was 22-34-1 (78th out of 106 teams that played DI-A during the entire 5-year span). Beyond that, MSU had exactly ZERO winning seasons in the prior 4 seasons to his arrival (MSU was 14-31 in the 4 seasons from 1991-1994). Just absurd to claim that his turning MSU into a winner during his 5-year tenure (MSU had a winning record while Saban was there and recorded zero sub-.500 seasons) and a Top 10, 10-2 team (#7 in the final poll of both AP and Coaches Polls) in his last year was not an incredible transformation and coaching job.

I never said anything negative about Saban's tenure at MSU. Did you miss this quote in my post: "While Nick Saban deserves tremendous acclaim because of all the titles he has gotten at LSU and Bama ..."?

I only posited that his record there after 2 years, with no unjust sanctions to hinder his efforts, were no better than James Franklin's first 2 years at PSU. You are actually not being totally honest when you state MSU's record prior to Saban's tenure. As I stated in my post (did you actually read it? This is the 2nd item you missed.) The Spartans won 5 games in 1994 but had to forfeit them; their on-the-field record was actually quite even at 27-29-1.

My point, which you, again, somehow missed, was that Saban had 5 years to get a bowl win and a greater-than-7-win season. Yet, he is still considered almost universally as among the top 1 or 2 (he's my #2) coaches in the country. James Franklin won a bowl game in his 1st year, got 7 wins in both years, but still gets criticism from fans as being "unproven" as a coach.

If you do not understand what I am saying, it is all right with me. Our opinions on matters do not have to agree. But you could at least stick to the things I really did say rather than manufacture ideas that I did not say.

1- Harbaugh
2- Saban
3- Meyer
4-D'antonio
5-Shaw
Next group: Peterson/ Kelly/ jimbo/ Ferentz/ sweeney

1- Harbaugh
2- Saban
3- Meyer
4-D'antonio
5-Shaw
Next group: Peterson/ Kelly/ jimbo/ Ferentz/ sweeney

Harbaugh #1 based on what? Go back and look at his record his first couple of seasons at Stanford. Not exactly world beating. And he had a strong season this past year but didn't win anything major. He's not even in the same ballpark as Meyer or Saban (and Meyer made him his bitch this year).

I never said anything negative about Saban's tenure at MSU. Did you miss this quote in my post: "While Nick Saban deserves tremendous acclaim because of all the titles he has gotten at LSU and Bama ..."?

I only posited that his record there after 2 years, with no unjust sanctions to hinder his efforts, were no better than James Franklin's first 2 years at PSU. You are actually not being totally honest when you state MSU's record prior to Saban's tenure. As I stated in my post (did you actually read it? This is the 2nd item you missed.) The Spartans won 5 games in 1994 but had to forfeit them; their on-the-field record was actually quite even at 27-29-1.

My point, which you, again, somehow missed, was that Saban had 5 years to get a bowl win and a greater-than-7-win season. Yet, he is still considered almost universally as among the top 1 or 2 (he's my #2) coaches in the country. James Franklin won a bowl game in his 1st year, got 7 wins in both years, but still gets criticism from fans as being "unproven" as a coach.

If you do not understand what I am saying, it is all right with me. Our opinions on matters do not have to agree. But you could at least stick to the things I really did say rather than manufacture ideas that I did not say.

Again, even if you count the 5 wins in 1994 that MSU had to forfeit for playing an ineligible player, MSU's record in the FOUR SEASONS PRIOR TO SABAN's ARRIVAL was 19-26 with ZERO winning seasons over the span - give me a flipping break that he inherited an even remotely decent team from Perles in 1995! During Saban's very brief 5-year tenure he converted MSU from a perennial loser to a perennial winner (he was 34-24-1) including a 10-2 team, that won their NYD Bowl and finished the season #7 in both the National Polls in his final season before heading to LSU in 2000 where he was 48-16 in his 5-year tenure including a National Championship in 2003.

Harbaugh #1 based on what? Go back and look at his record his first couple of seasons at Stanford. Not exactly world beating. And he had a strong season this past year but didn't win anything major. He's not even in the same ballpark as Meyer or Saban (and Meyer made him his bitch this year).
He's a game changer AWS who has the CFB world watching on his every move. If um wins the East this year, they're going to the F4 in his 2nd year. fair point on Saban and Meyer. He had success in the League so yes he is in the same ballpark. I just hope JF's coaching changes are the tonic for State to compete for the East title yearly. I like them lots on paper and if successful, we will be lethal on offense this year.

Yeah I really don't get the Harbaugh love either. No doubt he's at a minimum a solid/pretty good coach, and he may some day prove himself to be in the group with those guys, but so far he hasn't done much to prove that he's any better than solid. We will see.

He's a game changer AWS who has the CFB world watching on his every move. If um wins the East this year, they're going to the F4 in his 2nd year. fair point on Saban and Meyer. He had success in the League so yes he is in the same ballpark. I just hope JF's coaching changes are the tonic for State to compete for the East title yearly. I like them lots on paper and if successful, we will be lethal on offense this year.

If he wins the East....so why are you crowning him greatest coach before he's actually done anything in terms of actual championships?

Actually, if we are considering A$$HOLES in college football coaching, this better illustrates it (think - It's Raining Men) ........
tumblr_n0rhfmmcy81s9btcio1_500.gif
Plus post with a CK GIF. Kudos my man.

Actually, Saban operated under sanctions incurred during the previous Perles regime, including loss of scholarships. Comparisons are pointless, but he did operate under handicap.

Wallace - Harbaugh needs to win with his own players before he gets any props beyond what he has already been given - when I mean win I mean multiple MNC's since you have put him above many other coaches who have many under their belt otherwise you just sound like a stupid homer.

Wallace - Harbaugh needs to win with his own players before he gets any props beyond what he has already been given - when I mean win I mean multiple MNC's since you have put him above many other coaches who have many under their belt otherwise you just sound like a stupid homer.

If I were a stupid homer I would propping up James Franklin like some of the trolls that infest this site.

I still believe that Sabin is not top 10. He never really won big until he got a job where he could cheat. So I don't put any SEC coaches in my top 10. The best coaches win without top talent (i.e. a Domer coach would have to win MNC's about every other year to be a top coach), win at schools that really can't cherry pick top players, or win consistently where ever they coach.

1. Meyers
2. Rhule
3. Peterson
4. Snyder
5. Swinney
6. Niumatalolo
7. Mora
8. Ferentz
9. Fitzgerald
10. Harbaugh

Don't you find it a little ironic you have Meyer at number 1 but refuse to rand Saban after he ran him out of the SEC? Meyer won at Utah when they weren't playing anyone, he won big at UF, who according to you are cheaters and he is winning at tOSU who will and has cheated with the best of them and actually been caught since all SEC teams except 1. You actually think Dabo and Clemson aren't cheating? You ever been to Clemson? Its in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do for miles.

How many scholarship players did Urban have in 2012 or 2013?
He had less then a full roster due to the tat gate sanctions although obviously no where near the extent that PSU was suffering through.

He also had a team in 2012 that was coming off a losing season and due to bowl sanctions had absolutely nothing to play for and went undefeated.

I'm sorry but Jimbo Fisher does not belong on ANY list of "great coaches". He is crooked as the day is long, took over for an already established, win-at-all-cost programs, pays recruits in the heart of the best recruiting ground in America, his kids don't attend classes, and he plays in a sub standard conference.

Who are your top 10 active college football coaches?

My top 10:
Saban
Meyer
Stoops
Fisher
Miles
Dantonio
Swinney
Harbaugh
Shaw
Kelly

Just to help out below is a list of 46 college football coaches at major college football programs: (Please let me know if I omitted someone worthy of being on the list for consideration)

Bret Bielema, Arkansas
Paul Chryst, Wisconsin
David Cutcliffe, Duke
Dave Doeren, NC State
Larry Fedora, North Carolina
Kirk Ferentz, Iowa
Jimbo Fisher, Florida State
Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern
James Franklin, Penn State
Hugh Freeze, Ole Miss
Justin Fuente, Virginia Tech
Todd Graham, Arizona State
Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State
Jim Harbaugh, Michigan
Mark Helfrich, Oregon
Tom Herman, Houston
Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia
Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech
Butch Jones, Tennessee
Brian Kelly, Notre Dame
Mike Leach, Washington State
Gus Malzahn, Auburn
Jim McElwain, Florida
Bronco Mendenhall, Virginia
Urban Meyer, Ohio State
Les Miles, LSU
Jim Mora, UCLA
Dan Mullen, Miss St.
Pat Narduzzi, Pitt (for the Pitt trolls as he obviously doesn't belong in anyone's top 10)
Ken Niumatalolo, Navy - how ironic, alphabetically the coach that follows Quido Narduchi on this list coached circles around him in the Military Bowl. Oh, and Navy just scored again.
Gary Patterson, TCU
Chris Petersen, Washington
Bobby Petrino, Louisville
Gary Pinkel, Missouri
Mark Richt, Miami
Matt Rhule, Temple
Mike Riley, Nebraska
Rich Rodriquez, Arizona
Nick Saban, Alabama
David Shaw, Stanford
Bill Snyder, Kansas State
Bob Stoops, Oklahoma
Charlie Strong, Texas
Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M
Dabo Swinney, Clemson
Tommy Tuberville, Cincinnati
Kyle Whittingham, Utah
You would think that the 10 highest paid coaches should be the 10 best. Otherwise somebody is getting a bad deal. FWIW Franklin is #8.
http://www.richestlifestyle.com/highest-paid-college-football-coaches/2/

He had less then a full roster due to the tat gate sanctions although obviously no where near the extent that PSU was suffering through.

He also had a team in 2012 that was coming off a losing season and due to bowl sanctions had absolutely nothing to play for and went undefeated.

That team with the "losing season" in 2011 was quite possibly one of the worst coached, most disorganized teams in Ohio State history: They had the talent to be 11-1. Claiming that Urban came in and performed magic is reinventing history, he had the same talent. With that said, Meyer is a great coach, however he is a "win at all costs" coach, that's my problem with him.

Hang on...the Ohio State team doctors have just called the press again, looks like 4 more players have been deemed "unable to play, due to injury" and have been relieved of their scholarships...yep, that time of year again.

If I were a stupid homer I would propping up James Franklin like some of the trolls that infest this site.

Yes, we know, as you told the board dozens of times, you "keep it real." When harbaugh once again fails to win even a division championship, will you still worship him?

David Shaw has been a better coach than harbaugh ever was. Harbaugh tired of being owned by Chip Kelly, he will tire of being owned by Meyer too.

Granted all I hear and understand your arguments and those of various coaches character. That character, or lack thereof, isn't noted in the wins and loss columns which to many is of the utmost importance. Misguided I grant you.

Yet how many here aren't happy with eight-win seasons and the players are going to class, getting their degrees, real degrees, and becoming exemplary citizens after they graduate?

We were fortunate to have a coach who put education and the intellectual development and enrichment of his players first before winning and showed that The Grand Experiment could be done.

However then how does one truly know how much coach A cheats as compared to coach B and C, D, etc.?

My listing was primarily based on accomplishment: Multiple national championships; a single national championship with multiple conference championships; multiple conference championships; and consistent success.

Jim Harbaugh has alienated everyone, everywhere he has been, and he will do the same thing at Michigan. That's a fact.

Yes, we know, as you told the board dozens of times, you "keep it real." When harbaugh once again fails to win even a division championship, will you still worship him?

David Shaw has been a better coach than harbaugh ever was. Harbaugh tired of being owned by Chip Kelly, he will tire of being owned by Meyer too.

Keep hoping.

Keep hoping.

There's no hoping, just facts. At Stanford, Harbaugh didn't even get close to beating Oregon, and with last year's results vs Meyer as an indication, UM will be lucky to get within three touchdowns of tOSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT