ADVERTISEMENT

R.I.P. Howard Schnellenberger

doofis

Aug 26, 2016
One of the best coaches ever. To turn Miami around as he did - from a program nearly dropped in 1978 to knocking off Penn State in ?79 and 81 when Penn State was ranked #1/2. And then he turned around Louisville.

Was anybody else in the Orange Bowl that rainy day in 1981?

His Miami team’s upset of Nebraska in the 1984 Orange Bowl was epic. (When the Orange Bowl was played in the old crazy Orange Bowl stadium ;)).

Last edited:
F ind
A nother
U niversity

Certainly owes their program to him. I never had a problem with him. I never personally witnessed him robbing a freight train.

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95
His Miami team’s upset of Nebraska in the 1984 Orange Bowl was epic. (When the Orange Bowl was played in the old crazy Orange Bowl stadium ;)).

Three things from watching the end of that again.

1. It reminds me, again, of how dumb it was to have games end in a tie. The current system isn't great, but it's infinitely better than ending a game in a tie.

2. Nebraska wins that game if the QB throws a decent pass on the 2 point try. The receiver was open but the pass was way behind him.

3. What crappy TV coverage on the onside kick. They only went to it right as the guy kicked the ball. They almost missed it entirely.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and psu00
One of the best coaches ever. To turn Miami around as he did - from a program nearly dropped in 1978 to knocking off Penn State in ?79 and 81 when Penn State was ranked #1/2. And then he turned around Louisville.

He was one keck of coach and yes UM on the map as well well as FAU and restored UL

Reactions: 91Joe95
1. It reminds me, again, of how dumb it was to have games end in a tie. The current system isn't great, but it's infinitely better than ending a game in a tie.

I think the exact opposite.
You play a game and it ends and you both have the same score. It is a tie.

Playing extra periods or using any other method to change the score still seems ridiculous to me.

LdN

He started recruiting for the Hurricanes while stil a coach for the Dolphins.

He was announced as the coach but since he had not signed in yet as the Dolphins were still in the playoffs he was not bound by the recruiting rules. So would go to the houses of the recruits during a time college coaches could not.

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister
2. Nebraska wins that game if the QB throws a decent pass on the 2 point try. The receiver was open but the pass was way behind him.

Nebraska wins that game if they could kick a field goal, but Osborne was on ego trip that entire season, passing up field goals to score more touchdowns on weak opponents. He wasn’t bright enough to realize that he might need 3 points against a quality opponent at some point. Miami was that opponent.

On that rainy day in 1981 he was heard saying, "....we beat that pompous son of a bitch". Yet very few were more pompous than Howard

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT