ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Hitters: Penn State football practice takeaways

Aug 31, 2005
State College
bwi.rivals.com
Going to run through some quick hitters from Penn State's open practice to the media Wednesday afternoon as the Nittany Lions continue prep for Indiana this weekend. Nothing over the top but a few things did catch my eye and the eyes of our other BWI reporters on the scene.

1) Keyvone Lee was first up in the running back reps.

Obviously, James Franklin said after the game Saturday that Noah Cain had been banged up a little bit in the Auburn game and hadn't practiced as much leading into Villanova. And so far, in the program's second full-pads practice of the week, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to suggest that Lee might get the first carries against the Hoosiers.

That said, the rest of the lineup for running back depth held true - Cain was second, Lovett third, Ford fourth and Holmes fifth in the line.

2) No 51.

I'm told he was in attendance but, the point from earlier this week remains the same. Not seeing a path for him to be on the field this week if that's the case.

3) This is one of those things that I'm acknowledging could just be a figment of my imagination - after all, when you're specifically looking for something, sometimes you see what you want to see.

BUT... I just thought the sense of urgency from the coaching staff was more evident tonight than it might have been a week ago at this time.

Tons of "HURRY UP" "EVERYBODY MOVING" type stuff. We were only there for 20 minutes, but that was just the general vibe of the practice.

Now, obviously there is a counterpoint to be made that maybe the players weren't meeting the standard Penn State hopes to have but, given what Sean Clifford said Wednesday about Tuesday's practice being really good, my guess is that this was very much just an effort to set the type of atmosphere that they're looking to have.

4) WRINKLES on defense.

Sworn to secrecy past that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News