ADVERTISEMENT

Quick espn scroll on UNC...

BisbeeMike

Jul 6, 2017
Andrea AdelsonESPN Staff Writer
i

North Carolina has opted not to issue a statement following two days in front of the NCAA Committee on Infractions. So after about 15 hours worth of discussions, both sides left Nashville with no comment. Next step is a decision from the committee about possible sanctions.

So the committee will decide in what 3 months? Then UNC will get several months to respond and appeal. Then weeks will pass until the appeal is upheld or denied. Depending on that ruling, I assume UNC takes the NCAA to court and this limbo just drags on forever.

My guess is that when all is said and done- UNC loses a small handful of scholarships and forfeits some games......but keeps all championship banners. Both sides will get bored talking about it and just 'move on'.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
It's just, I don't know, is this normal? 15 hours of talks, sequestered, and then no comment?

i

North Carolina has opted not to issue a statement following two days in front of the NCAA Committee on Infractions. So after about 15 hours worth of discussions, both sides left Nashville with no comment. Next step is a decision from the committee about possible sanctions.
They have us two weeks after freeh or face the death penalty without reading it or doing their own investigation

i

UNC Wilmington will be placed on probation as a result.

I'm wondering why the NCAA would have no comment? Just wondering in general, why?
The NCAA will talk.............when UNC tells them what to say. Oh, and that will be something like..................."Nothing to see here and so sorry we bothered you!

I knew nothing would happen to UNC as soon as the NCAA assigned Officer Barbrady to the case.

"Nothing to see hear..... Move along "

Reactions: Ski
So the committee will decide in what 3 months? Then UNC will get several months to respond and appeal. Then weeks will pass until the appeal is upheld or denied. Depending on that ruling, I assume UNC takes the NCAA to court and this limbo just drags on forever.

If UNC is smart they don't want that outcome. The longer this hangs over the program, the longer it affects their recruiting. Any top recruits considering UNC are reminded that sanctions are coming. That is probably more harmful than the sanctions themselves will be.

If UNC is smart they don't want that outcome. The longer this hangs over the program, the longer it affects their recruiting. Any top recruits considering UNC are reminded that sanctions are coming. That is probably more harmful than the sanctions themselves will be.

I know that's the accepted logic but it's been going on for what 5 years now and I haven't seen it affect them too much at all. They've been to the last 2 championship games winning 1 national championship with all this hanging over them. Are they taking a hit in recruiting this year? (I honestly don't know- I don't follow bball recruiting).

I know that's the accepted logic but it's been going on for what 5 years now and I haven't seen it affect them too much at all. They've been to the last 2 championship games winning 1 national championship with all this hanging over them. Are they taking a hit in recruiting this year? (I honestly don't know- I don't follow bball recruiting).

I was talking football recruiting. I don't think their BB recruiting is affected too much. But yeah, that would explain them going to the mat every step of the way -- maybe the NCAA wants them to give up one BB postseason or something. Which of courses punishes players who were in grade school when the cheating was going on.

The usual NCAA sanctions are kind of stupid. PSU going through them kind of drove that home for me. The only way to punish the institution is to punish almost entirely people who did absolutely nothing wrong.

Maybe the only effective punishment is the "show cause" finding for coaches. If you can end someone's career who presided over an outlaw program and cost him a $2 million a year paycheck, that gets their attention. That show cause must have cost Jim Tressel a bundle. I'm sure coaches across the country took note of that and will be less likely to lie to NCAA investigators.

Last edited:
Reactions: psu00
Where is this statement from Emmert about UNC?

In 2012 Emmert’s claim about the Penn State culture included this: “For the next several years now, Penn State can focus on the work of rebuilding its athletic culture not worrying about whether or not it's going to a bowl game. With the sanctions imposed today and with the new leadership, the university, we hope, indeed we intend to ensure that that will be the case."

"Certainly the interest in seeing change behaviorally at the university was central to what the athletics integrity agreement was about."

About a school who never had a major NCAA violation and is always among the leaders in graduation rate, most Academic All Americans, etc.

http://www.cosida.com/sports/2013/9/27/aaaselections.aspx

The top 10 schools in total Academic All-America® honorees (as of March 2017)

University of Nebraska 329
MIT 271
Notre Dame 255
Stanford 213
Penn State 198
Emory University 182
Augustana (Ill.) 170
Nebraska Wesleyan 168
University of Alabama 159
Washington University in St. Louis 156

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT