ADVERTISEMENT

Question on credit score

Except as a way to gather data on you and demonstrate that while YOU are not worthy of their trust, they are implicitly entitled to have you trust them. Like I said, there's a lot more scummy bs in the average car dealership than at my house. If there is going to be a one way trustworthiness presumption, they have it backwards.

Except when you have an established relationship with a dealer. They know who you are. You're in their "system." They're not going to hassle you with a credit check.

The answer to this issue is in their response to him ... "that's our policy". I am cantankerous enough to have replied "well, my policy is that I don't agree to provide credit checks when I am paying in cash. So, do you want my $xx,xxx or should I give it to the dealer down the street?"

I understand that it really isn't that big of a deal and many people would prefer to avoid the last minute shenanigans and just let them run the credit check and finish tne transaction. Nothing wrong with that approach, either.
I've been concerned because I may have to replace my 15 yo car before too long. I was planning on buying for cash and, until now, wasn't expecting any problems. Problem for me is, my personal information was compromised by the OPM and Equifax data breaches so I put a freeze on all my credit reports. And it's a real pain and very time consuming to unfreeze then refreeze them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT