ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the older guys: Is Gesicki on his way to surpassing Kwalick & Brady?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
We've discussed here where Barkley ranks amongst PSU's all-time running backs, but is Mike Gesicki on his way to surpassing Ted Kwalick and Kyle Brady as Penn State's greatest tight end?

Kwalick was a few years before my time but in Joe's words in describing Kwalick, "This is what God had in mind when creating a football player."

Granted in today's game, Gesicki will get a lot more throws than Kwalick and Brady did and as a result have superior stats.

Thoughts?

We've discussed here where Barkley ranks amongst PSU's all-time running backs, but is Mike Gesicki on his way to surpassing Ted Kwalick and Kyle Brady as Penn State's greatest tight end?

Kwalick was a few years before my time but in Joe's words in describing Kwalick, "This is what God had in mind when creating a football player."

Granted in today's game, Gesicki will get a lot more throws than Kwalick and Brady did and as a result have superior stats.

Thoughts?

From my eyes, no. Kwalick played in a different era where TE's were as much blockers as receiving weapons. I'd put both of these guys ahead of Mike to be honest. And I will say I was harsh towards Mike G a couple of years back and I was flat out wrong and admit such.

From my eyes, no. Kwalick played in a different era where TE's were as much blockers as receiving weapons. I'd put both of these guys ahead of Mike to be honest. And I will say I was harsh towards Mike G a couple of years back and I was flat out wrong and admit such.

Mike WAS awful two years ago. Awful. Shockingly awful.

I've said before his improvement last year was perhaps as dramatic as I've seen any one PSU player have year-to-year. And this year, well, two pretty damn good games so far!

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Mike WAS awful two years ago. Awful. Shockingly awful.

I've said before his improvement last year was perhaps as dramatic as I've seen any one PSU player have year-to-year. And this year, well, two pretty damn good games so far!

Incredible stats over 2 years ago. Not sure what happened but last year he announced he would stay for his senior year (to much acclaim) although he was not a pro prospect. This year he has worked himself into being a legit nfl candidate.

For this team, with current rules Mike G is more valuable than Ted or Kyle in my opinion, especially with the JoMo offense.

Reactions: step.eng69
Not better than Brady. As for Kwalick, it's a little fuzzy for me but he got a lot of ink in the Philly papers back then. Games weren't televised back then the way they are now; not even remotely.

Reactions: step.eng69
Gesicki is really athletic, and I want to see what he does the rest of this season before addressing that question. Kwalick and Brady set a VERY high standard, and I don't think Gesicki is there yet. He may well not get there. Both of them were, IMO, better blockers than Gesicki will ever be. But he is one hell of a pass catcher.

Reactions: katchthis
Gesicki is really athletic, and I want to see what he does the rest of this season before addressing that question. Kwalick and Brady set a VERY high standard, and I don't think Gesicki is there yet. He may well not get there. Both of them were, IMO, better blockers than Gesicki will ever be. But he is one hell of a pass catcher.
Brady was a bulldozer and a fine receiver. Kwalick was the 7th pick in the draft. Brady was chosen 9th, I think.

Ted Kwalick was a freak. He ran back punts and had the biggest hands in football. I once saw him pick up his date by her head at a Sigma Pi party. She was a gymnast. She was as crazy as he was.
In those days Joe's offense was run and pass only when absolutely necessary.

Reactions: ChiTownLion

Thoughts?
From an old guy:

Kwalick was a signature recruit before the day of the star rating system.

He was actually recruited by JoePa when JoePa was still the assistant head coach in the days before freshmen were eligible.

He was a freshman in Engle's last year and played on the 66/67 and 68 teams.

Just getting him was a substantial victory. Picture the Parsons situation now without all of the publicity.

PSU did not throw much then, so he had fewer catches in his career than will Gesicki.

All in all, Tom Sherman and Chuck Burkhart throwing to him was probably similar to Hack and McSorley throwing to Gesicki.

Kwalick had three great years where Gesicki has had two average years and two great years.

I would consider Gesiscki as good a player as Kwalick and I think Gesicki will be a good pro, depending on where he goes and if he can stay healthy.

Brady was a different player than Gesicki. Big, thick body and very oriented to blocking. Gesicki is a better receiver.

Ted and Frank Spaziani were both top recruits and steadfast friends as freshmen. Later, Ted was moved into the home of coach OHora or Patrick to keep him under control and monitor his academics. As a teenager, Ted was used as a bouncer in his father's bar on occasion. He was rare, very jovial nice guy, l but very, very tough.

Thoughts?
Ted Kwalick was a 2 time All American and is in the College Football Hall Of Fame. Neither Brady, nor Gesicki, will be able to make that statement. Ted is the gold standard for Penn State tight ends.

Ted Kwalick was a 2 time All American and is in the College Football Hall Of Fame. Neither Brady, nor Gesicki, will be able to make that statement. Ted is the gold standard for Penn State tight ends.
Ted would get 50-100 catches in this offense plus he was a crushing blocker. He was the closest to Chuck Bednarek in size, toughness and ability.

Reactions: fairgambit
It feels like apples to oranges. Gesicki is a big receiver, while Brady was really just a muscular/athletic offensive lineman. Different systems and roles for the TE. Gesicki's blocking is horrendous compared to Brady's, while Gesicki looks like Odell Beckham compared to Brady. Unfortunately, his blocking will be a liability in the NFL and that might limit his career.

It feels like apples to oranges. Gesicki is a big receiver, while Brady was really just a muscular/athletic offensive lineman. Different systems and roles for the TE. Gesicki's blocking is horrendous compared to Brady's, while Gesicki looks like Odell Beckham compared to Brady. Unfortunately, his blocking will be a liability in the NFL and that might limit his career.
In their last two seasons, Kwalick had 64 total receptions and Brady had 53.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT