ADVERTISEMENT

Question for older veterans!

I hate it. I don't get it often but, I'm kinda taken aback when someone says it. I always say "Thanks" but, for me....it just doesn't feel right. I volunteered for it..... I don't need any thanks. I appreciate the sentiment...but for me, it's not needed.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
It's a well-meaning but cheap form of patriotism. We've got a military fighting endless and useless wars these days, with guys doing multiple tours of duty in combat zones. But that's OK, it only affects less than 1 percent of the population and their families, while the other 99 percent gets by with "thank you for your service."

Oh that's right, I forgot, with a volunteer military, everything's good. We pay them after all.

Sorry, I'm still a little bitter. I served in the Marine Corps in the mid-70's. Never saw combat, but some of my comrades did before me -- in Vietnam. And after their tours in Hell, in a war they weren't allowed to win, they were ignored or pitied...or even spit on.

And the people who did the spitting? Well, an awful lot of them are in positions of wealth and privilege now. Hell, some of them are running the country. And they think saying "thank you for your service" relieves them of their guilt and makes everything alright.

Well, it doesn't.

We need a draft. Let everyone share the burden for defending our country and fighting its wars. Then, "thank you for your service" will ring a little more true. In fact, the words may no longer be necessary.

Maybe, that's their way of apologizing.

This has been a great thread. I was in the Corp from 67 to 71. Nobody thanked me for over 30 years, and truthfully I never expected anyone to thank me. It’s nice to hear it now from those that genuinely mean it. From others it kind of a forced rote thing, but I guess they mean well. Anyway I don’t know where I’m going with this but I know I like bacon.

Thanks, Cosmos.

Personally, I'd go with your "only alternative," which is tightening the borders. Not so nobody gets in. Rather, so only the people we want and need get in.

I mean, having a country means having borders. Ain't no country in the history of the world that didn't have borders. However, the very concept of borders has apparently become a radical idea in the minds of some.

Re forcing conscription on Antifa types, right, they'll all have a temper tantrum, and if we're lucky, they'll flee the country.

But if they stay here and refuse to serve, I'd round their butts up and prosecute them for breaking the law.

Granted, this is an Alternative Universe I'm describing. Never going to happen in our Brave New World of America 2018.

Anyway, Semper Fi back atcha, man. My Dad, the best man I ever knew, was a Marine -- and he died young. So to honor his memory, I went into the Marine Corps straight out of college.

Best thing I ever did. In fact, it laid the groundwork for the rest of my life.

That said, it ain't remotely the same Marine Corps now. How could it be in a country that ain't remotely the same America.

Thanks, Cosmos.

Personally, I'd go with your "only alternative," which is tightening the borders. Not so nobody gets in. Rather, so only the people we want and need get in.

I mean, having a country means having borders. Ain't no country in the history of the world that didn't have borders. However, the very concept of borders has apparently become a radical idea in the minds of some.

Re forcing conscription on Antifa types, right, they'll all have a temper tantrum, and if we're lucky, they'll flee the country.

But if they stay here and refuse to serve, I'd round their butts up and prosecute them for breaking the law.

Granted, this is an Alternative Universe I'm describing. Never going to happen in our Brave New World of America 2018.

Anyway, Semper Fi back atcha, man. My Dad, the best man I ever knew, was a Marine -- and he died young. So to honor his memory, I went into the Marine Corps straight out of college.

Best thing I ever did. In fact, it laid the groundwork for the rest of my life.

That said, it ain't remotely the same Marine Corps now. How could it be in a country that ain't remotely the same America.

Trump to modify the Statue of Liberty plaque?

cLpnTyd.jpg

I suspect that the people that YOU want in are different than the people that I want in..

Reactions: Nitt1300
During my service in the Army from 96-99 I never heard, “Thank you for your service”. Post 9/11 is when I really started to hear it.

My wife gets angry with me because I never ask about Veterans Discounts. Always makes me feel uncomfortable...same way it would make me uncomfortable when a restaurant would offer me a discounted meal when I was a uniformed police officer.
Those 2 things are kind of different, though. When you are a uniformed cop, there a current role as a neutral arbiter that is threatened somewhat by freebies and discounts.

Former military? Not so much.

Reactions: UncleLar
Is the, "Thank you for your service!" a recent thing (a few years perhaps) or has it been like that for a long time? So we are at a health fair today and many of the vendors had veteran perks. My wife would state my husband is! I realize in that environment they are probably programed to say that but it happens all the time. What really made think about it, I go into a Sheetz for coffee Monday and this couple is leaning against their car next to my truck. They had scowls on their faces and I'm thinking, "Now what did I do?" They knew I was a vet because I have a PA purple heart vanity plate. I digress! I broadcast it merely for mercy since I occasionally exhibit a lead foot. Does it work? I'll take the 5th! Anyway, they were waiting to thank me! I just don't remember the frequency of it now days! Relative to the 5th, I'll give you an example anyway. I'm heading south from the Buffalo airport recently. Dusk is closing. Leading into the I-90 tollbooth is this long sweeping curve. I floor it to get ahead of two semis, knowing they all use eazypass lanes as I do. There in the medium is a statey. I didn't really want to hit 88 but I actually noticed it. He followed me thru the tollbooth to a big pull off. Asks "Do I know?" I answer yes sir I was speeding. Comes back with my owners and license and asks if I am the one that was in the CAV and when? I answered and he handed them back saying, "Drive safely!"
I am a Vietnam era veteran. I was going to be drafted and elected to enter the USAF as I had done some flying. My military service was one of the highlights of my life. Had I been stationed in Vietnam, I might be saying something different. Regardless, I must admit that "thank you for your service" is of recent vintage, at least in my experience. Moreover, I am not sure if it is a real "thank you" or a statement of guilt by those who have never served their country. Actually, I have grown to intensely dislike the phrase. If you want to thank anyone for their service, make sure if you send them in harm's way, it is with real purpose, justified, necessary, and with an end point. Also, if you wish to thank them, give them a real G.I. Bill and make sure the VA Hospitals have the best staff available and are well-funded. If we can spend millions upon millions of dollars funding the president's weekend golf trips to his various properties, we can fund VA hospitals. That phrase rings shallow with me. If you want to thank veterans, take a trip to the Vietnam Memorial in DC and thank the 47,000 plus on that wall.

It's a well-meaning but cheap form of patriotism. We've got a military fighting endless and useless wars these days, with guys doing multiple tours of duty in combat zones. But that's OK, it only affects less than 1 percent of the population and their families, while the other 99 percent gets by with "thank you for your service."

Oh that's right, I forgot, with a volunteer military, everything's good. We pay them after all.

Sorry, I'm still a little bitter. I served in the Marine Corps in the mid-70's. Never saw combat, but some of my comrades did before me -- in Vietnam. And after their tours in Hell, in a war they weren't allowed to win, they were ignored or pitied...or even spit on.

And the people who did the spitting? Well, an awful lot of them are in positions of wealth and privilege now. Hell, some of them are running the country. And they think saying "thank you for your service" relieves them of their guilt and makes everything alright.

Well, it doesn't.

We need a draft. Let everyone share the burden for defending our country and fighting its wars. Then, "thank you for your service" will ring a little more true. In fact, the words may no longer be necessary.
On target!!!!

I am a Vietnam era veteran. I was going to be drafted and elected to enter the USAF as I had done some flying. My military service was one of the highlights of my life. Had I been stationed in Vietnam, I might be saying something different. Regardless, I must admit that "thank you for your service" is of recent vintage, at least in my experience. Moreover, I am not sure if it is a real "thank you" or a statement of guilt by those who have never served their country. Actually, I have grown to intensely dislike the phrase. If you want to thank anyone for their service, make sure if you send them in harm's way, it is with real purpose, justified, necessary, and with an end point. Also, if you wish to thank them, give them a real G.I. Bill and make sure the VA Hospitals have the best staff available and are well-funded. If we can spend millions upon millions of dollars funding the president's weekend golf trips to his various properties, we can fund VA hospitals. That phrase rings shallow with me. If you want to thank veterans, take a trip to the Vietnam Memorial in DC and thank the 47,000 plus on that wall.
The phrase is no substitute for real services, and I can see why the phrase would ring hollow to someone who was owed but not receiving the services.

It is like "thoughts and prayers."

Would add ensuring vets have adequate access to mental health services via the VA (which should be expanded). I didn't know until recently that the VA will cover the cost to provide and care for a service animal for physically disabled vets. But, they will not do the same for vets who suffer from mental issues/PTSD. For many, service dogs can provide a kind of caring and comfort vets can't get from a doctor. There are organizations out there who do help with this service (Service Dogs for America, K9s for Warriors) but I would like to see the VA provide this service if necessary.

Prior to 9-11-01 I rarely heard that expression used. In fact, my generation would be more accustomed to hearing jeers than cheers or the middle finger opposed to "Thank you for your service." Since 9-11 the "Thank you" seems to be the popular take by those that recognize your military service.

The first time I got a "Thank you for your service!" it threw me for a loop somewhat, emotionally. I thought "Wow, what's that all about?" I sheepishly said "Thank you!" and walked away. But then it started to happen quite often. It makes me feel uncomfortable and a bit awkward for some reason.

Reactions: ftlpsu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT