ADVERTISEMENT

Question about LB positions at PSU

Ceasar

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Can anyone explain the differences between the MLB position at PSU and the other "box LB" position (which Parsons played in 2019, Luketa in 2020 and Smith will play this fall)? Here is why I ask. I feel certain about 3-5 years ago there were interviews with Coach Franklin and Pry in which they said, in essence, these are very similar positions and a "box" LB should be able to play both spots.
I bring this up specifically related to recruit JR Strauss but more general than just him. I sense PSU is "under recruiting" these positions as they may feel inside LBs no longer warrant the same prioritization they once did. Ryan reported yesterday that Strauss is a true MLB and PSU is more focused on OLB. I completely understand that. But what I find puzzling is, if there are two inside LB/box LB positions then, in theory, shouldn't we recruit two inside LB each year? It seems to me we have only been recruiting one inside LB per class in recent years (King, Elsdon and Smith in the past three classes).
IMHO PSU is going to be dangerously thin at LB very soon, maybe even this season. But depending on who returns or does not in 2022, it is possible, next years LB roster will include Smith, Jacobs, Elsdon, King, Buddin and whatever true FR we sign. That just barely gives us a two deep IF everyone stays healthy and progresses. Though I am not a big fan of Smith, if some on this board who think he has great potential are correct, then it's possible he too could leave before next year. And it seems that the current crop of recruits does not necessarily include anyone who should be expected to step in and play on day one.
So back to my question, what is the difference between the two box LB positions at PSU and how do the required skill sets differ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News