ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Undergrad needs our help

Now $18,107 raised for a goal of $18,000. It reminds me of the same fundraising effort last year (?) for the PSU grad Brooklyn teacher to inspire his class and get them to see college as a goal.

Will Pennlive and Charlie Thompson give as much attention to this as they do with anything negative about PSU? Im guessing no......unless he can somehow try to turn this into some sort of violation or bad PR for the football team. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
Now $18,107 raised for a goal of $18,000. It reminds me of the same fundraising effort last year (?) for the PSU grad Brooklyn teacher to inspire his class and get them to see college as a goal.

Will Pennlive and Charlie Thompson give as much attention to this as they do with anything negative about PSU? Im guessing no......unless he can somehow try to turn this into some sort of violation or bad PR for the football team. ;)

Glad to see the goal reached.

Even if PSU smartens up and gives her alternate funding (which there doesn't appear to be plans to do so), I'm glad she'll still get this money to pay down her other debts and pay for future schooling. My hope is that she'll use it that way and given all she's been through, I believe it'll happen.

You are correct.

However Penn State screwed this one up. Residency decisions are made by a small group of people and while the decision is correct, there were other options to help the student. None were given to her, nor was the issue escalated before it hit the news.
Wait a minute?? You're telling us that the leadership failed to get out in front of this until after the shit hit the fan (aka the media)??!?

No way....don't believe you....couldn't happen at PS!!!

[sigh].....[yet again]

Pennlive wrote the article yesterday that was linked in the OP.

She just posted a "thank you"

To Everybody that Donated,
I am speechless! When this was set up I didn't expect anybody to donate, and now we have well surpassed the goal! Everybody from my high school friends, college friends, relatives, barn friends, and lots of people who don't know me personally, all chipped in and made me continuing my education a possibility. Though Penn State has still not changed my residency status, they were able to give me additional merit and need based scholarships and loans to bring down the cost of attendance. With the GoFundMe and the efforts of everybody involved, I am able to pay this semester and all of the extra money will go towards paying next semester and possibly next fall! Thank you so much again to everybody, I couldn't have done this without you!
Rachel

I am speechless! When this was set up I didn't expect anybody to donate, and now we have well surpassed the goal! Everybody from my high school friends, college friends, relatives, barn friends, and lots of people who don't know me personally, all chipped in and made me continuing my education a possibility. Though Penn State has still not changed my residency status, they were able to give me additional merit and need based scholarships and loans to bring down the cost of attendance. With the GoFundMe and the efforts of everybody involved, I am able to pay this semester and all of the extra money will go towards paying next semester and possibly next fall! Thank you so much again to everybody, I couldn't have done this without you!
Rachel
That's awesome. While it's unfortunate that the university didn't change her residency classification, it's great that she'll be able to continue her education here with as little financial or loan burden as possible.

Reactions: Zenophile

Rachel

How cool is that! It's a wild world we live in currently and great to see there are good people left in this world that look to help out a person many have never met.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
Why such a low goal, when the ou-of-state tuition is about $45K a year?

Pennlive wrote the article yesterday that was linked in the OP.

Yep- a somewhat negative article about not allowing her in state tuition status with her struggle.

After a quick scan of Pennlive today I don't see the positive follow up article about how Penn Staters rallied and raised $19,803 for her (above her $18,000 goal).

Yep- a somewhat negative article about not allowing her in state tuition status with her struggle.

After a quick scan of Pennlive today I don't see the positive follow up article about how Penn Staters rallied and raised $19,803 for her (above her $18,000 goal).
I guess Dave Jones does not just write about Penn State sports then.

I guess Dave Jones does not just write about Penn State sports then.

I don't follow Jones so I don't know what he writes about (other than occasions when people start discussing him here).

Rachel

Glad to see someone pulled their head out of their nether region.

Reactions: Zenophile
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT