ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Undergrad needs our help

Penn State student's parents are dead, her home is gone, but no tuition break
Updated on August 17, 2017 at 7:45 AMPosted on August 17, 2017 at 6:15 AM
23248573-mmmain.jpg

Rachel Higgins sits on her late father's shoulders while accompanied by her older sister and a cousin. (submitted)

284shares

By David Wenner

dwenner@pennlive.com

Rachel Higgins' childhood home was in New Jersey but she can't go home again. Her dad died in 2013. Her mom died in 2016, just as Higgins was finishing her freshman year at Penn State.

Penn State has been her home ever since. But now she faces the loss of that home too -- Penn State denied her appeal to be allowed to pay the in-state tuition rate. If she has to pay the out-of-state tuition rate of about $48,000, she can't afford to return to school, she says.

"I gave them the death certificate and everything," she said, describing her efforts to convince Penn State that Pennsylvania is her home state. "I was hoping they would understand that."

Rachel Higgins and her mother, who died in 2016, at Higgins' high school graduation in 2015. (submitted)

Higgins, 20, has lived in Pennsylvania since she began attending Penn State during the summer of 2015.

The problem is she fails to meet this part of Penn State's residency policy: In order to qualify for the in-state tuition rate, someone must have been a Pennsylvania resident for at least a year before enrolling at Penn State. An Aug. 4 letter informing Higgins of her appeal outcome said in part: "Note that it is possible to be a resident of the Commonwealth, yet not meet with requirements of residency for purposes of tuition."

Following her mother's death, Higgins took the address of a cousin who lives near Scranton. She now has a Pennsylvania address for things including her driver's license and car registration.

Since her mother's death, she has usually stayed on campus or with a friend during school breaks and holidays. Higgins, who would be a junior, studies animal science and hopes to work on a horse farm.

Both of her parents, who were split up, had battled cancer for years. She lived with her father prior to his death from cancer in 2013. She then moved into a rented home with her mother, who also succumbed to cancer.

She says she went to the Penn State registrar's office last spring and showed documents including her driver's license and other forms of identification, and her mom's death certificate. She says she was told "not to worry" about being still being considered an out-of-state resident. But she eventually received paperwork indicating she would be charged the higher tuition rate.

Her appeal resulted in the Aug. 4 letter from the University Appeals Committee on Residency Classification. The letter noted, "If you would have a period of 12 months residing full-time in the Commonwealth while not attending Penn State or another educational institution, you would be able to establish residency for purposes of tuition."

A university spokesman said the policy is intended to prevent someone who is essentially an out of state-of-state resident from getting a local address for the purpose of paying the in-state tuition rate. The spokesman noted that Penn State's annual allocation from the state legislature is intended to help cover the costs of Pennsylvania residents, not people from other states.

Higgins says she can't afford to take a year off. For one thing, she would have to begin repaying loans after six months. She has applied for loans to cover the out-of-state rate, but says she needs a co-signer and, without parents, it's hard to find a family member who doesn't have children with college expenses of their own.

She also put down a security deposit on an off-campus apartment and stands to lose that if she can't return to school.

Higgins recently established a GoFundMe account, but as of Thursday it was far short of what she needs.

"If I don't get a loan or find a way to pay I have to withdraw from school and get a job," she says.

A statement to PennLive from Penn State said it's office of student aid "is committed to helping students find need- and merit-based support and is interested in exploring options with her."

Good heavens, Penn State deserves the backlash that they should receive for this kind of callous move.

Penn State's policy on reclassifying as a Pennsylvania resident is that the student needs to show by clear and convincing evidence that their domicile is in Pennsylvania and that their presence is not primarily for educational purposes, with each case being looked at individually based on the circumstances. The circumstances here tell me that she's a Pennsylvania domiciliary because that's where she lives and there's nowhere else for her to go. I hope the university reconsiders.

Good heavens, Penn State deserves the backlash that they should receive for this kind of callous move.

Penn State's policy on reclassifying as a Pennsylvania resident is that the student needs to show by clear and convincing evidence that their domicile is in Pennsylvania and that their presence is not primarily for educational purposes, with each case being looked at individually based on the circumstances. The circumstances here tell me that she's a Pennsylvania domiciliary because that's where she lives and there's nowhere else for her to go. I hope the university reconsiders.

The policy is the policy. She isn't the only student who has seen this situation, sad as it is. Hopefully, the GoFund me account will help, but the way I read it, as long as she is in school she won't be able to establish residency, meaning that she will have to pay out of state tuition as long as she is a student at PSU.

Perhaps an option is to change to another school that is less expensive, and then finish up at PSU. I think PSU has a rule where you have to take a large percentage of the classes at PSU, but that does not restrict you from taking classes at another institution and then applying them to your PSU degree (credits not grades).

Perhaps an option is to change to another school that is less expensive, and then finish up at PSU. I think PSU has a rule where you have to take a large percentage of the classes at PSU, but that does not restrict you from taking classes at another institution and then applying them to your PSU degree (credits not grades).

This is correct. You actually only need 36 credits to be taken at Penn State to earn a Penn State degree.

So I have never donated to a GoFundMe account - I just checked out her link and it appears that its facebook linked, and I am not on facebook.

So my question - how does she get the money? Promising the money and sending it are two separate things.

So I have never donated to a GoFundMe account - I just checked out her link and it appears that its facebook linked, and I am not on facebook.

So my question - how does she get the money? Promising the money and sending it are two separate things.

GoFundMe distributes it to a bank account setup by the user and takes 7.9% as a "fee".

Ridiculous bureaucrats making a ridiculously bureaucratic decision. I expect nothing less (more?) from PSU at this point. Hey, let's issue another statement about things that have nothing to do with PSU to show we "care!"

Isn't this what billion dollar endowments should be for? I get there are slippery slopes but damn.

Not going there in this thread; I'm just giving information about GFM.

I helped with a GFM account a few years ago for a friend who lost two daughters. I was surprised to learn about how much the fees were. With that said my perspective was that it paid for itself because we would've never raised so much money without GFM. It was by far the easiest, most accessible way to raise money during a time of need.

Reactions: Limestone_Lion
Perhaps an option is to change to another school that is less expensive, and then finish up at PSU.

I don't think your idea would work because of this quote from the article: "If you would have a period of 12 months residing full-time in the Commonwealth while not attending Penn State or another educational institution"

Every policy should have room for exceptions on a case by case basis. This appears to be a situation that cries out for an exception.
The policy does have room for case-by-case examination. The policy, found here (http://bulletins.psu.edu/bulletins/bluebook/general_information.cfm?section=Tuition2) reads as follows:

"A student requesting reclassification as a Pennsylvania resident for tuition purposes must demonstrate by clear and convincing evidence that his/her domicile is in Pennsylvania, and that his/her presence in Pennsylvania is not primarily for educational purposes. Each request shall be decided individually on the basis of all facts submitted by the petitioner. Accordingly, it is not possible to list a specific combination of factors or set of circumstances which, if met, would ensure reclassification for tuition purposes."

Based on the policy, it appears that the facts submitted show that the student's domicile is in Pennsylvania based on her complete separation of ties from New Jersey after her parents died and she moved in with a relative in Pennsylvania, and that move was not primarily motivated by educational purposes, but rather by the death of her mother and no longer having anywhere to live other than Pennsylvania. I believe that there's a strong argument to be made that Penn State simply misapplied the policy that they had in place, and no exceptions are necessary for this girl to be reclassified as a Pennsylvania domiciliary.

I don't think your idea would work because of this quote from the article: "If you would have a period of 12 months residing full-time in the Commonwealth while not attending Penn State or another educational institution"

No, that is exactly why I wrote it. She won't get residency and Penn State is too expensive. So, if she switches to a cheaper school - anywhere, she can continue her education, and transfer the credits back to Penn State and graduate with a Penn State degree. Because the other aspect of her dilemma, at least as I read it, is that if she stops taking classes, she has to start paying back loans in 6 months. So as long as she is taking classes, and they are cheaper than Penn State, she can work towards here degree and not have to pay anything back until 6 months after she graduates.

Basically - work the system.

Reactions: Peetz Pool Boy
A very unfortunate set of circumstances for the poor girl, but I agree with 'ro.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't she apply to and enroll at PSU as an "out of state" student in 2015? It appears that she was planning on paying 4 years of OOS tuition at the time she started PSU in 2015.

Perhaps she should have considered less-expensive educational options back in 2015. It appears that this poor girl is on the verge of drowning in student loan debt...a situation that seems independent of the tragic deaths of her two parents.

I'm further interested in seeing the comparative math scenario wherein she stops taking classes, gets a job for 12 months to establish in-State residency but has to start paying back loans after 6 months.

If she starts back at PSU as a full-time student after 12 months of establishing residency, does repayment of her prior loans get suspended until graduation or is there no such provision in the Fed. Loan documents?

Last edited:
Reactions: pointingdogsrule
No, that is exactly why I wrote it. She won't get residency and Penn State is too expensive. So, if she switches to a cheaper school - anywhere, she can continue her education, and transfer the credits back to Penn State and graduate with a Penn State degree. Because the other aspect of her dilemma, at least as I read it, is that if she stops taking classes, she has to start paying back loans in 6 months. So as long as she is taking classes, and they are cheaper than Penn State, she can work towards here degree and not have to pay anything back until 6 months after she graduates.

You are correct.

However Penn State screwed this one up. Residency decisions are made by a small group of people and while the decision is correct, there were other options to help the student. None were given to her, nor was the issue escalated before it hit the news.

You are correct.

However Penn State screwed this one up. Residency decisions are made by a small group of people and while the decision is correct, there were other options to help the student. None were given to her, nor was the issue escalated before it hit the news.

Yeah, but she can't sit back and hope that someone in the ivory tower will get a facebook post on this matter. Hopefully, she is speaking to an adult who can provide her with some options, including, perhaps some of the options mentioned here.

I don't want to get away from this young woman's primary issue, but this is a harsh reality of life -

1. You can't expect positive results when dealing with City Hall.
2. You have to develop a back up plan to get the things you want.

It's outrageous how expensive going to school at PSU has become. At the risk of sounding like some guy telling kids to get off his lawn, when I was in school it was $18K for an out-of-state student for. I'm not even old. I'm 36. I attended PSU from 99-03. It's ridiculous how expensive it has become for kids to go to post secondary school.

Yeah, but she can't sit back and hope that someone in the ivory tower will get a facebook post on this matter. Hopefully, she is speaking to an adult who can provide her with some options, including, perhaps some of the options mentioned here.

I don't want to get away from this young woman's primary issue, but this is a harsh reality of life -

1. You can't expect positive results when dealing with City Hall.
2. You have to develop a back up plan to get the things you want.

I don't disagree with the premise of what you're saying.

I know with 100% certainty that there were options for funding available to her at Penn State, and she was never provided the opportunity to discuss those or given anyone to talk to about it. The situation was never escalated to Old Main, and got lost in the bureaucracy. No one did anything about it.

Penn State student's parents are dead, her home is gone, but no tuition break
Updated on August 17, 2017 at 7:45 AMPosted on August 17, 2017 at 6:15 AM
23248573-mmmain.jpg

Rachel Higgins sits on her late father's shoulders while accompanied by her older sister and a cousin. (submitted)

284shares

By David Wenner

dwenner@pennlive.com

Rachel Higgins' childhood home was in New Jersey but she can't go home again. Her dad died in 2013. Her mom died in 2016, just as Higgins was finishing her freshman year at Penn State.

Penn State has been her home ever since. But now she faces the loss of that home too -- Penn State denied her appeal to be allowed to pay the in-state tuition rate. If she has to pay the out-of-state tuition rate of about $48,000, she can't afford to return to school, she says.

"I gave them the death certificate and everything," she said, describing her efforts to convince Penn State that Pennsylvania is her home state. "I was hoping they would understand that."

Rachel Higgins and her mother, who died in 2016, at Higgins' high school graduation in 2015. (submitted)

Higgins, 20, has lived in Pennsylvania since she began attending Penn State during the summer of 2015.

The problem is she fails to meet this part of Penn State's residency policy: In order to qualify for the in-state tuition rate, someone must have been a Pennsylvania resident for at least a year before enrolling at Penn State. An Aug. 4 letter informing Higgins of her appeal outcome said in part: "Note that it is possible to be a resident of the Commonwealth, yet not meet with requirements of residency for purposes of tuition."

Following her mother's death, Higgins took the address of a cousin who lives near Scranton. She now has a Pennsylvania address for things including her driver's license and car registration.

Since her mother's death, she has usually stayed on campus or with a friend during school breaks and holidays. Higgins, who would be a junior, studies animal science and hopes to work on a horse farm.

Both of her parents, who were split up, had battled cancer for years. She lived with her father prior to his death from cancer in 2013. She then moved into a rented home with her mother, who also succumbed to cancer.

She says she went to the Penn State registrar's office last spring and showed documents including her driver's license and other forms of identification, and her mom's death certificate. She says she was told "not to worry" about being still being considered an out-of-state resident. But she eventually received paperwork indicating she would be charged the higher tuition rate.

Her appeal resulted in the Aug. 4 letter from the University Appeals Committee on Residency Classification. The letter noted, "If you would have a period of 12 months residing full-time in the Commonwealth while not attending Penn State or another educational institution, you would be able to establish residency for purposes of tuition."

A university spokesman said the policy is intended to prevent someone who is essentially an out of state-of-state resident from getting a local address for the purpose of paying the in-state tuition rate. The spokesman noted that Penn State's annual allocation from the state legislature is intended to help cover the costs of Pennsylvania residents, not people from other states.

Higgins says she can't afford to take a year off. For one thing, she would have to begin repaying loans after six months. She has applied for loans to cover the out-of-state rate, but says she needs a co-signer and, without parents, it's hard to find a family member who doesn't have children with college expenses of their own.

She also put down a security deposit on an off-campus apartment and stands to lose that if she can't return to school.

Higgins recently established a GoFundMe account, but as of Thursday it was far short of what she needs.

"If I don't get a loan or find a way to pay I have to withdraw from school and get a job," she says.

A statement to PennLive from Penn State said it's office of student aid "is committed to helping students find need- and merit-based support and is interested in exploring options with her."

The way the BOTS and University throw money away I would think this would be a good time for them to stand up and do the right thing. Looking at you Administration.

You are correct.

Can you share additional information as to these "other options"?

Or the drones at PSU can try to get some positive PR for once and make a damn exception - is it really that hard - I am surprised they have any feet left after shooting themselves in them so many times. And this "she has to play by the rules" is a load of crap - so all rules in life are perfect and should never be adjusted - what a fun place that would be.

Gotcha, I misunderstood your original post.

For educational purposes she may not be a resident of any state now, even NJ where she grew up since she has moved out of NJ, has no parents alive and living there, probably no legal guardian at her age, and she has established Pa. residency from a voting standpoint but does not qualify for instate tuition at any Pa. state school. Classic Catch 22.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't she apply to and enroll at PSU as an "out of state" student in 2015? It appears that she was planning on paying 4 years of OOS tuition at the time she started PSU in 2015.

Perhaps she should have considered less-expensive educational options back in 2015. It appears that this poor girl is on the verge of drowning in student loan debt...a situation that seems independent of the tragic deaths of her two parents.
I obviously have no idea about her family's financial circumstances prior to the death of her parents. Her mother died in 2016 and prior to that maybe she was able to help her daughter pay out of state tuition. Therefore there may have been no need to look for cheaper options.

I know many out of state alumni chapters try to engage local high school students to let them know the opportunities Penn State can provide. If a student then attends Penn State and encounters unforeseen financial difficulties it's hard to say to them, "Well, you should have gone someplace cheaper". As a matter of fact, the same could be said to an in state student who encounters financial problems considering the ridiculous in state costs.

There are funding options available for a situation like this and a solution could've been found had it been escalated.
Hell, when Rodney testified in Pennsylvania he mentioned an $8million "rainy day fund" Barron has at least that much to spread around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT