ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Only Recruiting Info

Thought he committed to Ok State. His mom wears the ugly Orange cowboys stuff all the time. I wonder if she went to college there. Someone get the mom some psu gear.
Who? Jaxs mom? I don't think so. Her and his dad are from Horseheads NY. I know he went to Binghamton but don't think she went to college. Could be wrong on that though...

Just listened to Justin Bausch interviewing PJ Duke right after he committed to PSU. Not sure how long ago that was as I'm just starting to follow the recruiting game a bit closer. Very impressive young man, just seems so level headed, calm, and humble. Perfect fit for PSU. Obviously he is an outstanding wrestler and a top ranked recruit, but was concerned to hear he suffered a shoulder injury. Anyone know how serious that injury was? Injuries are part of the sport, but shoulder injuries seem especially concerning.

Just listened to Justin Bausch interviewing PJ Duke right after he committed to PSU. Not sure how long ago that was as I'm just starting to follow the recruiting game a bit closer. Very impressive young man, just seems so level headed, calm, and humble. Perfect fit for PSU. Obviously he is an outstanding wrestler and a top ranked recruit, but was concerned to hear he suffered a shoulder injury. Anyone know how serious that injury was? Injuries are part of the sport, but shoulder injuries seem especially concerning.
Duke wrestled 34 matches this year (and suited up for a bunch of forfeits) and won NY states.

He missed his team's first event (a duals tourney) but was on the mat in their next dual 4 days later, and (without scrubbing the schedule) appears to have not missed anything since.

He also was not taped up at NHSCAs this weekend.

Duke wrestled 34 matches this year (and suited up for a bunch of forfeits) and won NY states.

He missed his team's first event (a duals tourney) but was on the mat in their next dual 4 days later, and (without scrubbing the schedule) appears to have not missed anything since.

He also was not taped up at NHSCAs this weekend.
Thanks El-Jefe.....always impressed with the detailed knowledge of this fan base, like your self.

Torn labrum, requiring surgery. Caused Duke to miss the last half of his 2022-23 season, as a HS sophomore.

I think Duke might have suffered in injury in the 2022 Ironman final, where he beat now fellow PSU recruit William Henckel in the 150 lb final.

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone and mhlarch
The kids do love Mytych. He is a great assistant coach.

As far as challenging PSU, well.. that's funny.
I know Steve very well, in fact his whole family. He is a great coach and recruiter, especially for the lighter weights. And the kids do love him. But yeah, challenging PSU soon is kinda funny.

His father is a great coach also!

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
The difficulty surrounding the coach mentioned here is that he changes jobs every few years for the past decade. He's a good guy, but at higher levels of coaching, this creates some very questionable observations. In fact, college coaches have a term that applies here for these types of situations. Hopefully now he establishes some stability, even though it's at the program with some of the greatest delusions of grandeur in the history of the sport.

You gotta love “Rutgres” fan on Facebook:

“They have a killer assistant coach in Steve Mytych kids are drawn to this guy. Dudes a dawg RU gonna be challenging PSU sooner then later….”
lol. April fools is over.

Getting Gibson is a nice pick up. They got Harer already and soon the younger Harer but nothing to beat PSU with.
PSU 2nd team would crush Rutgers

Ragdolls opponents, scores at will.

That was like watching HS practice where the team star takes on the coach who was a college All-American.

Those guys weren't stiffs -- Duke's 2nd round opponent was 5th at PA AAA states -- but you wouldn't know it from how badly Duke toyed with them.

He's gonna be a monster in college. Glad it'll be for us.

That was like watching HS practice where the team star takes on the coach who was a college All-American.

Those guys weren't stiffs -- Duke's 2nd round opponent was 5th at PA AAA states -- but you wouldn't know it from how badly Duke toyed with them.

He's gonna be a monster in college. Glad it'll be for us.
Yeah, my first thought was that the competition must be kind of weak, based on how Duke just destroyed everyone with ease. But the finals opponent (Lawler) finished 4th and 3rd at PA states the last two years, so at least he wasn't a chump. And Duke just destroyed all his opponents with almost equal ease.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Yeah, my first thought was that the competition must be kind of weak, based on how Duke just destroyed everyone with ease. But the finals opponent (Lawler) finished 4th and 3rd at PA states the last two years, so at least he wasn't a chump. And Duke just destroyed all his opponents with almost equal ease.
Yeah, I should've mentioned about Lawler too, just figured I'd point out that a PA AAA S5 was in the 2nd round as a measure of opponent quality throughout.

Lawler lost in the AA state semis to champ Reagan Milheim 3-1. This year he lost to AAA 3rd Petrovich 7-2 and beat AAA 4th McFillin 6-3 (same weight as Simcox and Manville). He tried hard, and make Duke work a little, but there was never any doubt that it would be a TF or pin.

What am I missing here? I'll grant you that Duke is good on his feet, but his mat wrestling sucks. He could not keep anyone down. In fact, he went out of his way to avoid the top position on restarts. And he only escaped from the bottom once in the whole tournament. He also has serious gas tank issues as he never made it to the end of the second period. There is a lot of work to do here.

What am I missing here? I'll grant you that Duke is good on his feet, but his mat wrestling sucks. He could not keep anyone down. In fact, he went out of his way to avoid the top position on restarts. And he only escaped from the bottom once in the whole tournament. He also has serious gas tank issues as he never made it to the end of the second period. There is a lot of work to do here.
MV5BNzdiYzYyYmYtN2Y4Yy00YjNjLTg2YWMtOTM1MTI1YjhhNzE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzgxNDk0NTI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

You should have used the SaRcAsIm font.
I was thinking of a similar comment. In one match he was up by 14 and started bottom at the beginning of the second period... won by fall, so I think he'll be okay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT