ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Only Recruiting Info

Find Correa going heavy to be good news for us, unfortunately would create a jam with Cole Mirasola but it's how it goes.

Collin Gaj was asked about recruiting, said he's taking it slow and not in a rush. When asked about first day of contact, he only listed two schools by name. He said he enjoyed his call with PSU a lot but also appreciated coaches from schools like Bucknell taking the time to call him. Seems like a great kid, would be entering a logjam but huge talent I (and the coaches clearly) would love to add.

Collin Gaj was asked about recruiting, said he's taking it slow and not in a rush. When asked about first day of contact, he only listed two schools by name. He said he enjoyed his call with PSU a lot but also appreciated coaches from schools like Bucknell taking the time to call him. Seems like a great kid, would be entering a logjam but huge talent I (and the coaches clearly) would love to add.
"Hey Collin, it's Bobby Telford ... from the University of Iowa."

Duke and Blaze took their visit to OSU together. Mendez and Davino were there, they all visited Sasso in the hospital together

Seriously, maybe it was an unofficial? Because nothing makes an impression on moms quite like reinforcing that Mrs. Sasso's son got shot in a grocery store parking lot and has to re-learn how to walk.

But a nice gesture, and Sammy must have appreciated it.

Reactions: Ja1339
Seriously, maybe it was an unofficial? Because nothing makes an impression on moms quite like reinforcing that Mrs. Sasso's son got shot in a grocery store parking lot and has to re-learn how to walk.

New PSU recruiting pitch:

Only one team has won a team title and not had any wrestlers shot in the past 15 years.

giphy.gif

It was definitely an Official, Blaze and Duke did the whole photoshoot with Davino and Mendez joining in. But the Sasso visit might have been on their own prerogative

New PSU recruiting pitch:

Only one team has won a team title and not had any wrestlers shot in the past 15 years.
Maybe tOSU’s pitch should be

Come here and you’ll have a much better chance at starting than you will at PSU.

• Haha
Reactions: Str8DBLz
I’m not a big fan of using one of your wrestlers who is in the hospital as part of the recruiting pitch. Even if the recruits wanted to see Sammy, it’s something I would’ve done on the down low. Not put it on social media. Feels icky to me.

I’m not a big fan of using one of your wrestlers who is in the hospital as part of the recruiting pitch. Even if the recruits wanted to see Sammy, it’s something I would’ve done on the down low. Not put it on social media. Feels icky to me.
To be fair the only person I saw post it was Sasso, he has been posting pictures of himself with those who visit

To be fair the only person I saw post it was Sasso, he has been posting pictures of himself with those who visit
As shown above, I see Tom Ryan was giving interviews about it. I’m not saying it’s the worst thing, but it’s not something I would do. If Sammy put it out there then that’s OK. As the head coach, I would not be talking about that being part of the recruiting process.

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
I’m outside our hotel in Champaign for the Illinois game. I’m watching the World Championships on my phone, and a woman says “my sons are upstairs and they were talking about getting up early to watch that”. And she says they are going to Penn State to wrestle. Their names are Connor and Cole. Small world I said.
How are they at run blocking?

Anyone have any intel on who attended the White Out? I know that's a heavy hitter recruiting game.

That would be a massive pickup. What weight is he projected at? 149 or bigger.
I've seen 157 projected. Likely above 149. He wrestled 152/160 this past year, though at his level he could've bumped up for the challenge.

Reactions: zzs006
Who would be considered a more highly touted future Hwt? Cole Mirasola
Or Jude Correa, also if they brought in Jude wouldn’t this potentially turn away his twin brother Connor from PSU? I don’t know, just was thinking about these things , I do feel somehow Cael would make it work cause that’s what he Does, just didn’t know who was considered to be the better future HWT since both are growing into it

After meeting the Mirasola twins and their family at the Illinois football game, the boys didn’t sound like the type of guys that would shy away from competition.

Who would be considered a more highly touted future Hwt? Cole Mirasola
Or Jude Correa, also if they brought in Jude wouldn’t this potentially turn away his twin brother Connor from PSU? I don’t know, just was thinking about these things , I do feel somehow Cael would make it work cause that’s what he Does, just didn’t know who was considered to be the better future HWT since both are growing into it
As of right now, probably Mirasola. But it's hardly a slam dunk.

One big difference: Correa has not wrestled Fargo the past 2 years. Mirasola finished 5th at 2022 JR 195, and 2nd at 2023 JR 220, both times losing to Cody Merrill.

I'm skeptical that we'll get Correa (or Austin Johnson for that matter). Obviously there will be a lot of competition from other schools that didn't land a top 2024 HWT. Plus the size of our 2023 and 2024 classes ... depth in 2025 plus Waters or Mocco in 2026 might make more sense.

Probably another reason it's good I'm not the head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT