ADVERTISEMENT

PSU defensive snap counts vs. Pitt: Farmer, Scott see rise

mn78psu83

Nov 10, 2011
LINK: PSU defensive snap counts vs. Pitt: Farmer, Scott see rise

Complete snap counts for Penn State’s defensive players against Pitt as charted from the press box. Brief analyses of each position group also provided. Penalties not included.

Of note: Pitt’s two-point conversion, not recorded as an official offensive play, is counted below as a snap.

DEFENSIVE ENDS

Torrence Brown — 42 of 87

Shareef Miller — 39 of 87

Ryan Buchholz — 35 of 87

Colin Castagna — 17 of 87

Shane Simmons — 17 of 87

Shaka Toney — 17 of 87

Yetur Gross-Matos — 11 of 87

Analysis: A couple time stoppages amid Pitt’s lengthy first-half drives allowed Buchholz, Miller and Brown to each play nine snaps on a single possession; a rarity in Penn State’s rotational system. Similarly, 11 of Toney’s 17 snaps came during one series. Gross-Matos didn’t see the field until Pitt’s final drive. Castagna took a couple reps at defensive tackle.

DEFENSIVE TACKLES

Curtis Cothran — 39 of 87

Kevin Givens — 34 of 87

Tyrell Chavis — 31 of 87

Parker Cothren — 28 of 87

Robert Windsor — 28 of 87

Antonio Shelton — 6 of 87

Analysis: Cothren saw essentially half of his playing time within Penn State’s first four defensive series. Chavis played at least seven snaps on each of Pitt’s 15-play drives. Cothran sits No. 3 among defensive linemen in total snaps through two games behind Brown and Buchholz.

LINEBACKERS

Manny Bowen — 66 of 87

Koa Farmer — 63 of 87

Jason Cabinda — 62 of 87

Brandon Smith — 25 of 87

Cam Brown — 21 of 87

Jarvis Miller — 4 of 87

Analysis: With Pitt often employing multiple running backs and/or tight ends, the Lions frequently remained in their base 4-3 deense. This led to an increase in snaps for Farmer and Smith off the bench. Following his reckless unnecessary roughness penalty, Brown sat out the next three defensive possessions and played only one series through the final gun.

SECONDARY

Christian Campbell — 73 of 87

Marcus Allen — 71 of 87

Troy Apke — 65 of 87

Grant Haley — 60 of 87

Nick Scott — 32 of 87

Amani Oruwariye — 22 of 87

Tariq Castro-Fields — 15 of 87

Lamont Wade —13 of 87

Analysis: While Farmer experienced an increase in snaps thanks to the Panthers’ use of base personnel, Oruwariye simultaneously saw his playing time dip. And since he left the final drive with an apparent right ankle injury, Campbell now becomes an even more valuable part of this secondary. Scott’s rise ahead of Ayron Monroe, who played on special teams, is notable.

Author
Andrew Callahan @ACallahan_247

Farmer struggled at times in the run game. He's a tremendous athlete, but not an instinctive linebacker. I thought Jarvis Miller would have played more based on what I saw from him last week.
I expected Cam Brown to play a lot more, but after that boneheaded personal foul, I can see why he didn't.
I expect TCF's snaps to increase at the expense of Oruwariye at least as far as obvious passing downs ( now that Oruwariye is hurt, it's certain ). Wade also looked better yesterday than vs Akron.

Last edited:
What's up with Monroe and Taylor in the secondary? Thought they had good camps.

Also, what's our special team lineups like?

Colin Castagna — 17 of 87

Shane Simmons — 17 of 87

Shaka Toney — 17 of 87

Yetur Gross-Matos — 11 of 87

Played a ton of young and some undersized guys on D, some of the reason Pitt was able to move the ball some between the 20s. Those guys won't see near as many snaps against tougher opponents. CJF trying to keep people fresh for what can be a long 15 game season and that is smart. The reason why you don't run Barkley 25 times if you don't have to because there will be some games that you will need to.

Last edited:
Reactions: djr4rebs
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT