ADVERTISEMENT

PSU currently 8th hardest strength of schedule

Too bad we don't play in the Atlantic Cupcake Conference. The pitters strength of schedule is #55. We would easily be undefeated every year in the ACC Coastal. Over the past 10 years we would have established ourselves as the Clemson of the Coastal. This would greatly help recruiting and we would be in the playoffs every few years.

Ours is slightly better than Michigan's and slightly worse than OSU. Our West opponents are a wash because nobody in the West stands out. Auburn ruined the ooc by being mediocre. At least we thumped them. ND didn't really do OSU any favors. Michigan probably the smart ones. Soup cans and favorable refs = undefeated (but they kicked our ass 😒).

Ours is slightly better than Michigan's and slightly worse than OSU. Our West opponents are a wash because nobody in the West stands out. Auburn ruined the ooc by being mediocre. At least we thumped them. ND didn't really do OSU any favors. Michigan probably the smart ones. Soup cans and favorable refs = undefeated (but they kicked our ass 😒).

If Michigan had beaten someone with a pulse ooc they might already be locked into a playoff spot regardless of this weekends outcome

Bullsh$t - Lando says we are garbage with only garbage wins - no way that dude could be wrong about anything he is the most die hard PSU fan I have every heard of and the most knowledgeable (sarcasm alert).

If Michigan had beaten someone with a pulse ooc they might already be locked into a playoff spot regardless of this weekends outcome
Sadly, that’s what our OOC schedule is about to become.

Reactions: psu00
Hmmm....just a guess but I would expect a tie when Michigan plays the Wolverines. Also a tie between tOSU and the Buckeyes. The Eagles? They have a salary cap to deal with.
A tie is still one loss or less!

Reactions: Obliviax
Bullsh$t - Lando says we are garbage with only garbage wins - no way that dude could be wrong about anything he is the most die hard PSU fan I have every heard of and the most knowledgeable (sarcasm alert).
Take Michigan and Ohio State off and that and see where our SOS is--that tells you the strength of our wins

Also, I've never said we're garbage I said we're between the 8th and 10th best team in the country I can just acknowledge we lack impressive wins against good teams

Last edited:
Are we taking everybody's 2 best record opponents off as well for this exercise?

I mean damn.
I'm talking strength of win. I talk about our lack of quality wins. Losing to Michigan and Ohio State isn't a part of that. Do we have a win over anyone ranked?

Even you know that is total bs argument - now you are just embarrassing yourself - well if you cherry pick everyone’s schedule you can say the same thing.
The teams we lost do aren't quality wins
What's our best win?
We have great losses--if they were closer that would even be better but SOS has nothing to do with Strength of Wins as we all know.

The teams we lost do aren't quality wins
What's our best win?
We have great losses--if they were closer that would even be better but SOS has nothing to do with Strength of Wins as we all know.
WTF are you talking about? Strength of schedule means STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE PERIOD - what is your major malfunction that you feel the need to argue FACTs - oh yeah F Meatchicken - maybe you a-holes should fix your tunnel BS before someone gets killed.

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
WTF are you talking about? Strength of schedule means STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE PERIOD - what is your major malfunction that you feel the need to argue FACTs - oh yeah F Meatchicken - maybe you a-holes should fix your tunnel BS before someone gets killed.
Then who's our best win?
Also, Michigan's non-conference slate was a joke and they've only beat us that's meaningful so not sure what your point is with the nonsense that I'm a Michigan fan for being rational

How could he possibly be wrong with his dissertations regarding the legality of an eligible offensive player intentionally engaging a defender and blocking them 5 yards down the field the entire time the ball is in the air on a forward pass thrown to an offensive eligible teammate directly into the space he has just cleared out - a clearly legal play by the scUM receiver that allowed the conversion of a 4th-&-3 with only 53 seconds remaining from the Illini 45. I mean how could you question that kind of credibility? LMAO

How could he possibly be wrong with his dissertations regarding the legality of an eligible offensive player intentionally engaging a defender and blocking them 5 yards down the field the entire time the ball is in the air on a forward pass thrown to an offensive eligible teammate directly into the space he has just cleared out - a clearly legal play by the scUM receiver that allowed the conversion of a 4th-&-3 with only 53 seconds remaining from the Illini 45. I mean how could you question that kind of credibility? LMAO
This guy is clearly a jagoff who just wants to stir the pot - I get the act but it is getting pretty tiresome and lame - no way he is a PSU fan - i think this tool just likes to argue and take the opposite position of whatever anyone else has.

There's a very obvious guy from the old board who sounded exactly like Count Lando but it's fine with me, I no longer get all roped off about this stuff. I just want to know if PSU had three Ls and lost to Marshall would they be 11 or 13? I think we know the answer to that.

To be fair, back in September or early October Marshall looked decent but they lost to BGSU at 6-6 and 4-6 Cajuns. Lost to Troy but they're good so beyond that Notre Dame may have beaten ranked or two but their losses are so beyond bad and almost lost to Navy, that it's just another brick in the wall how these rankings even at this late date are nonsensical.

Reactions: marshall23 and Fac
There's a very obvious guy from the old board who sounded exactly like Count Lando but it's fine with me, I no longer get all roped off about this stuff. I just want to know if PSU had three Ls and lost to Marshall would they be 11 or 13? I think we know the answer to that.

To be fair, back in September or early October Marshall looked decent but they lost to BGSU at 6-6 and 4-6 Cajuns. Lost to Troy but they're good so beyond that Notre Dame may have beaten ranked or two but their losses are so beyond bad and almost lost to Navy, that it's just another brick in the wall how these rankings even at this late date are nonsensical.
We'd probably be between 15-20 if we had wins over #8 and #17. Don't get me wrong I think ND sucks but K-State is the highest 3 loss team not ND. Notre Dame is always overrated but I think if we had their resume we'd be in a similar spot.

The Marshall and Stanford losses are bad no matter the spin. Technically they lost by less at Ohio State than we did at home against Ohio State though.

Penn State has the 40th toughest schedule, according to Sagarin.
He also has only 4 teams beating PSU on a neutral field. Georgia, Ohio St, Alabama, and Michigan.

But his schedule rankings are way off. Looking down the rankings he has the Big 12 playing the toughest schedules of any conference by far. We know that's not right. He also has the PAC12 about equal with the SEC. Not sure that's a good take either.

1 Georgia A = 97.21 11 0 75.05( 23) 2 0 | 4 0 | 97.09 1 | 99.09 1 | 96.32 1 SEC-EAST
2 Ohio State A = 96.64 11 0 71.98( 47) 1 0 | 3 0 | 96.68 2 | 98.20 2 | 95.79 2 BIG TEN-E
3 Alabama A = 93.19 9 2 75.14( 22) 1 2 | 4 2 | 95.07 3 | 95.46 3 | 91.39 4 SEC-WEST
4 Michigan A = 90.78 11 0 68.18( 68) 1 0 | 2 0 | 89.77 5 | 91.63 4 | 90.74 5 BIG TEN-E
5 Penn State A = 89.85 9 2 73.23( 40) 0 2 | 1 2 | 88.88 6 | 87.83 7 | 91.42 3 BIG TEN-E
6 Tennessee A = 89.59 9 2 74.40( 29) 2 1 | 3 1 | 90.47 4 | 87.81 8 | 90.00 6 SEC-EAST
7 Texas A = 88.06 7 4 78.52( 3) 0 1 | 2 3 | 88.27 7 | 87.46 9 | 88.12 8 BIG 12
8 Utah A = 87.91 8 3 75.01( 24) 0 1 | 3 3 | 87.81 8 | 86.35 13 | 88.67 7 PAC-12 SOUTH
9 Oregon A = 87.21 9 2 73.82( 33) 1 1 | 3 2 | 86.05 10 | 86.88 10 | 87.84 9 PAC-12 NORTH
10 LSU A = 86.95 9 2 76.76( 12) 1 1 | 5 2 | 85.57 12 | 86.77 12 | 87.62 10

Big12 schedule strength:
Texas 3
K st 4
W Virginia 5
Kansas 6
Iowa st 8
Texas Tech 9
Oklahoma St 10
Oklahoma 14
TCU 15
Baylor 20
If you believe these then you've absolutely lost it.

Sagarin

Last edited:
Reactions: Fac
We'd probably be between 15-20 if we had wins over #8 and #17. Don't get me wrong I think ND sucks but K-State is the highest 3 loss team not ND. Notre Dame is always overrated but I think if we had their resume we'd be in a similar spot.

The Marshall and Stanford losses are bad no matter the spin. Technically they lost by less at Ohio State than we did at home against Ohio State though.
In addition to losing at home to Marshall and 3 win Stanford, they almost lost to 4 win navy and would have lost to 4 win California if not for officiating.

In addition to losing at home to Marshall and 3 win Stanford, they almost lost to 4 win navy and would have lost to 4 win California if not for officiating.
"If" doesn't matter though. They won those games
And again, I dislike ND more than literally any program but those 2 wins is going to get them ranked and would get almost anyone ranked at 8-3

Take Michigan and Ohio State off and that and see where our SOS is--that tells you the strength of our wins

Also, I've never said we're garbage I said we're between the 8th and 10th best team in the country I can just acknowledge we lack impressive wins against good teams
Regardless, we have had perennial power, Auburn on the schedule this year and last year, and West Virginia next year. At least we’re scheduling historically decent OOC opponents.

Reactions: NedFromYork
The SEC has a better OCC record than the Big 10 because all of their teams play at least one FCS opponent at home every year and only 2 or 3 Big Ten teams play an opponent like that. This year every SEC played an FCS team except Texas A&M but the Aggies played UMass (and struggled) and UMass is tantamount to an FCS team. There is no way LSU or Tenn. are better than Penn State and I would bet if they played Penn State's schedule this year they would be no better than 9-2 also. I also think both could have lost at Purdue the night Penn State played there. The Boilers and their fans were really fired up for that game in the season opener. Also, LSU and Penn State have one common opponent and Penn State dominated that team (Auburn) to a far greater degree than LSU did.

The real question is what artificiality in their algorithms is causing the big12 and PAC12 to be ranked as the toughest conference schedules?
I’m would guess maybe it’s the number of teams from each conference ranked. You play more ranked teams you play a tougher schedule? That would explain the PAC but not the Big 12 (unless they are factoring in ranked during the season rather than at present time?).

Looking at TCU’s schedule I’m not sure how they are #4 other than just going by undefeated status.

Current ranked teams per conference-

PAC- 6
SEC- 5
ACC- 5 (including ND)
Big 12- 3
Big Ten- 3

Reactions: Online Persona
I’m would guess maybe it’s the number of teams from each conference ranked. You play more ranked teams you play a tougher schedule? That would explain the PAC but not the Big 12 (unless they are factoring in ranked during the season rather than at present time?).

Looking at TCU’s schedule I’m not sure how they are #4 other than just going by undefeated status.

Current ranked teams per conference-

PAC- 6
SEC- 5
ACC- 5 (including ND)
Big 12- 3
Big Ten- 3
Good point about ranked opponents and TCU. Here's the deal. These algorithms appear to be giving them credit for having beaten 5 ranked teams. 3 of those are currently unranked but were ranked when TCU played them. 1 is a 3 loss team and the other the only 4 loss team currently ranked.

And the best OOC opponent TCU has faced is 6-5 SMU. Colorado is absolutely horrible and they also played some school Tarleton or Tarburton or ???

It is quite likely that over half of currently rank teams would be undefeated with TCU’S schedule.

Regardless, we have had perennial power, Auburn on the schedule this year and last year, and West Virginia next year. At least we’re scheduling historically decent OOC opponents.
We aren't to blame for Auburn being garbage this year I agree
Don't pretend WVU is a big non-conference game though--that was a horrible decision

None of these rankings sites are perfect. I just randomly picked Florida for a comparison with Penn State.

Penn St played 2 ranked teams all year.

Florida played 6 ranked teams all year, (5 at the time they played each other).

Penn St played current #2, and #3.
Florida played current #1, #5, #10, #14, and #16.

PSU opponent records- 74-59
Florida opponent records- 76-56

PSU played teams with winning record-
#2 Ohio State 11-0
#3 Michigan 11-0
Ohio 9-3
Purdue 7-4
Minnesota 7-4
Maryland 6-5

Florida played teams with winning record-
#1 Georgia 11-0
#5 LSU 9-2
#10 Tennessee 9-2
#14 Utah 8-3
#16 Florida State 8-3
South Carolina 7-4
Kentucky 6-5

This ‘Team Rankings’ site has Penn State’s schedule ranked at #8 and Florida’s at #19.

Last edited:
We aren't to blame for Auburn being garbage this year I agree
Don't pretend WVU is a big non-conference game though--that was a horrible decision
We have seen far worse than WVU over the years. They will unfortunately be down next season but in general they are respectable.

Reactions: psu00
We have seen far worse than WVU over the years. They will unfortunately be down next season but in general they are respectable.
Ehhh...wasn't happy when we added WVU--won't pretend I'm happy with them now.
But yes we have had worse as a our "big non-conference" game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT