ADVERTISEMENT

PSA: a quick tutorial on your Pa AG Candidates

wensilver

Dec 9, 2012
Mods - feel free to place this where you deem most appropriate. It's a compilation of statements, podcasts and video of their debates for those that may have missed them.

As you may recall, PS4RS recently sent out a press release requesting
Position Statements from the five PA Attorney General candidates
on various issues important to the group, in advance of the state primary on Tuesday, April 26th.

These were the relevant issues posed by PS4RS:

· Will the candidate conduct a thorough investigation of potential corruption within Jerry Sandusky’s charity, The Second Mile Foundation (“TSM”)? Will the candidate explore which TSM personnel were aware of complaints about Jerry Sandusky’s interactions with children and why these individuals failed to report their knowledge to authorities? Will the candidate explore inconsistencies in TSM financial records?

• Will the candidate investigate former state prosecutor Frank Fina for potential prosecutorial misconduct in connection with the charges brought against former Penn State administrators Tim Curley, Gary Schultz and Graham Spanier, including deliberately misleading both the defendants and a judge with respect to Cynthia Baldwin’s role?

• Will the candidate acknowledge that the prosecution of the Penn State administrators depends – in clear violation of the U.S. Constitution – on the retroactive application of a law passed years after the incident, drop the charges, and apologize to the Penn State community for the damage that the OAG’s politically motivated prosecution has caused?

• Will the candidate direct the Non-Profit Enforcement unit of the Attorney General’s office to investigate the breach of fiduciary duty by certain Pennsylvania State University Board trustees – which has cost the University hundreds of millions of dollars – in the wake of the Sandusky indictment?

• Will the candidate investigate certain members of the Penn State Board of Trustees’ Special Investigative Task Force, certain members of the NCAA Executive Committee, NCAA President Mark Emmert and Louis Freeh for potential criminal conspiracy and fraud?

• Will the candidate continue Attorney General Kane’s and Special Prosecutor Doug Gansler’s efforts to root out corruption in the Commonwealth judiciary, identifying all parties who participated in inappropriate and prejudicial ex parte communication?

• Will the candidate maintain Attorney General Kane’s commitment to protecting Pennsylvania’s children by swiftly bringing child abusers – particularly sexual abusers – to justice, unlike previous attorneys general?

https://ps4rs.org/2016/02/17/ps4rs-puts-field-of-ag-candidates-on-notice/

Official statement from PA Attorney General Republican Candidate Joe Peters to PS4RS:

"Protection of the children of Pennsylvania is unquestionably among my highest priorities, as it should be for all of those, past and present, who hold the position of Attorney General of our great commonwealth. By way of example, if there are still unanswered questions arising out of the Jerry Sandusky case, I will pursue the truth.

"As a part my inquiry, if elected and entrusted with the responsibilities of the attorney general, I will embark upon a review of any remaining questions arising out the Sandusky investigation and prosecution, including any that arose as legitimate complaints received regarding Sandusky's then-charity, "The Second Mile" or any other charities or organizations. Of course, no individual will be unfairly scrutinized or maligned in this review, as that is as important an obligation in the pursuit of truth and justice. Since oversight of nonprofits is the responsibility of the Charitable Trusts and Organizations Section of the Office of Attorney General (OAG), it is incumbent upon the OAG to explore under the parameters of the law, the handling by the "Second Mile" of complaints and obligations to report, regarding Sandusky’s interactions with children.

"Additionally, given the spending (estimated in excess of $200 million) in the wake of the Sandusky charges, including interactions with the NCAA as may have been revealed through the discovery process surrounding the Corman vs. NCAA lawsuit, it would be reasonable to inquire into the fiduciary decisions of the university's board of trustees, in order that this unfortunate episode may never again repeat itself.

"Most importantly, to vigorously pursue our obligation to protect our children, we must recognize that pedophiles live among us. Let us heed the lessons learned from the tragedy of the Sandusky case to further our inquiry about their horrific predilections, how they hide in plain sight, and how to earlier recognize their behavior so that we may take them off the streets under the rule of law and bring them to justice sooner…not later. We must ask the daunting question: Are our children safer than they were five years ago? If the answer is no, or just as frighteningly, we don't know, then we are ignoring valuable lessons of misplaced trust and lack of accountability. Sadly, that would dangerously deny us all a critical opportunity to protect today’s and tomorrow’s children.

"Please know that I am fully committed to protection of all our children, justice for anyone unfairly maligned and accountability for those who should bear it."

- Joe Peters
A Career Prosecutor for Attorney General
JoePeters.com
On Twitter: @JoePeters4AG
Facebook.com/JoePetersforAG

Official Statement from PA AG Democratic Candidate Stephen Zappala to PS4RS:

Upon taking the office of Attorney General I will immediately do an audit of the Sections and Divisions of the office and determine where we have been succeeding in our protection of the people in our Commonwealth and identify areas that we can improve and strengthen the office. I can assure you that in that assessment, I will be keeping in mind the concerns of PS4RS as I share your concern toward many of these issues.

I will continue to prosecute public crime and corruption perpetrated by those that are in positions of public trust such as Judiciary, state officials and state employees. I find the breach of this trust one of the most egregious to our citizens. I will fortify the Public Corruption Unit of the Attorney General’s Office to actively investigate and enforce the laws of this Commonwealth. I have a long record of prosecuting public servants that have violated their duty and I have never and will never shy away from holding a criminal accountable because of their position, name, political or financial position. I am a prosecutor. I hold those that break the law accountable. Conversely, I advocate fairness and swift prosecution. If there have been incidents of abuse of prosecutorial power, I will thoroughly investigate and ensure that justice is done.

The Charitable Trust and Organizations Section of the Office of Attorney General has one of its primary purposes to “ensure that charitable donations are lawfully raised and expended” by the organizations they are entrusted to. I and the knowledgeable staff within my office will conduct an unbiased and thorough investigation not only into the Second Mile and The Pennsylvania State University Board of Trustees but any charitable organization within my jurisdiction that is mishandling the funds entrusted to it by the citizens of Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is significantly harmed if its citizens do not trust the charitable organizations that serve them and if the charitable organizations are not performing the duties they are sworn to provide. I will do everything within my power as Attorney General to hold the offenders accountable.

The abuse of children. One of the issues that Pennsylvanians face that is most important to me are the incidents of violence and exploitation of children. Upon taking office of District Attorney, 18 years ago, my first actions were to create specialized prosecution units to hold the offenders of child abuse and domestic violence accountable. As the chief law enforcement officer in Pennsylvania, I will work with police departments and DA’s offices to take some of these ideas state wide and help the law enforcement community to improve their resources and response to child abuse and domestic violence.

I will ask for increased prosecution for Child Protection Law mandated reporters that fail to report incidents of child abuse that they are directed by law to report. I will enhance prevention education and efforts by bolstering the existing training programs created by the Attorney Generals Child Predator Unit that help to educate the public about child predators and the tactics they use. The children of Pennsylvania are our future and I will do everything within the power of the office to protect them.

My record in Allegheny County will speak for itself toward many of these issues. I have spent the last 18 years creating powerful and effective methods of protecting the most vulnerable in our society and bringing the most corrupt to justice. I will continue this objective as Attorney General.

Official statement from PA Attorney General Democratic Candidate Josh Shapiro to PS4RS:

“Child abuse, in all its forms, is far too prevalent in our society and must be rooted out. I’m a father of four – I care deeply about protecting the children of Pennsylvania from predators. As Attorney General, I will aggressively prosecute perpetrators of these heinous crimes and work to give victims the support they need to come forward and to heal.

"With regard to Jerry Sandusky and others involved in that scandal, I will follow the evidence wherever it leads, whether that is to Second Mile or any other organization. No one will be off limits, there will be no sacred cows and no powerful interests will be protected. Everyone will be equal in the eyes of the law.

"It is vital that the Attorney General restore that basic sense of fairness to our justice system. Nothing in Pennsylvania should be too big, too untouchable or too out of reach for the law, including Second Mile or anything or anyone associated with the Sandusky scandal. We need to be serious about taking on the powerful interest in Pennsylvania. It’s what I’ve done throughout my entire career and what I’ll do as Attorney General.”

(awaiting statements from Morganelli & Peters)

The 5 Candidates for Attorney General did one hour individual interviews on WHYY RadioTimes with Marty Moss-Coane.

Republican Candidate Joe Peters:

http://whyy.org/cms/radiotimes/2016...for-pennsylvania-attorney-general-joe-peters/

http://www.joepeters.com/

Republican Candidate John Rafferty:

http://www.raffertyforag.com/

Democratic Candidate Steve Zappala:

http://whyy.org/cms/radiotimes/2016...-pennsylvania-attorney-general-steve-zappala/

http://zappalaforpa.com/

Democratic Candidate Josh Shapiro:

http://whyy.org/cms/radiotimes/2016...r-pennsylvania-attorney-general-josh-shapiro/

https://www.joshshapiro.org/

Democratic Candidate John Morganelli:

http://whyy.org/cms/radiotimes/2016...ennsylvania-attorney-general-john-morganelli/

http://www.johnmorganelli.com/

The 3 Democratic Candidates debate on NBC Phila:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...ild-Abuse-Heroin-and-Injustice-374981801.html

Republican Candidates Joe Peters vs John Rafferty debate:

Pa Attorney General Candidates Forum April 13th

Last edited:
Mods - feel free to place this where you deem most appropriate. It's a compilation of statements, podcasts and video of their debates for those that may have missed them.

As you may recall, PS4RS recently sent out a press release requesting
Position Statements from the five PA Attorney General candidates
on various issues important to the group, in advance of the state primary on Tuesday, April 26th.

These were the relevant issues posed by PS4RS:

· Will the candidate conduct a thorough investigation of potential corruption within Jerry Sandusky’s charity, The Second Mile Foundation (“TSM”)? Will the candidate explore which TSM personnel were aware of complaints about Jerry Sandusky’s interactions with children and why these individuals failed to report their knowledge to authorities? Will the candidate explore inconsistencies in TSM financial records?

• Will the candidate investigate former state prosecutor Frank Fina for potential prosecutorial misconduct in connection with the charges brought against former Penn State administrators Tim Curley, Gary Schultz and Graham Spanier, including deliberately misleading both the defendants and a judge with respect to Cynthia Baldwin’s role?

• Will the candidate acknowledge that the prosecution of the Penn State administrators depends – in clear violation of the U.S. Constitution – on the retroactive application of a law passed years after the incident, drop the charges, and apologize to the Penn State community for the damage that the OAG’s politically motivated prosecution has caused?

• Will the candidate direct the Non-Profit Enforcement unit of the Attorney General’s office to investigate the breach of fiduciary duty by certain Pennsylvania State University Board trustees – which has cost the University hundreds of millions of dollars – in the wake of the Sandusky indictment?

• Will the candidate investigate certain members of the Penn State Board of Trustees’ Special Investigative Task Force, certain members of the NCAA Executive Committee, NCAA President Mark Emmert and Louis Freeh for potential criminal conspiracy and fraud?

• Will the candidate continue Attorney General Kane’s and Special Prosecutor Doug Gansler’s efforts to root out corruption in the Commonwealth judiciary, identifying all parties who participated in inappropriate and prejudicial ex parte communication?

• Will the candidate maintain Attorney General Kane’s commitment to protecting Pennsylvania’s children by swiftly bringing child abusers – particularly sexual abusers – to justice, unlike previous attorneys general?

https://ps4rs.org/2016/02/17/ps4rs-puts-field-of-ag-candidates-on-notice/

Official statement from PA Attorney General Republican Candidate Joe Peters to PS4RS:

"Protection of the children of Pennsylvania is unquestionably among my highest priorities, as it should be for all of those, past and present, who hold the position of Attorney General of our great commonwealth. By way of example, if there are still unanswered questions arising out of the Jerry Sandusky case, I will pursue the truth.

"As a part my inquiry, if elected and entrusted with the responsibilities of the attorney general, I will embark upon a review of any remaining questions arising out the Sandusky investigation and prosecution, including any that arose as legitimate complaints received regarding Sandusky's then-charity, "The Second Mile" or any other charities or organizations. Of course, no individual will be unfairly scrutinized or maligned in this review, as that is as important an obligation in the pursuit of truth and justice. Since oversight of nonprofits is the responsibility of the Charitable Trusts and Organizations Section of the Office of Attorney General (OAG), it is incumbent upon the OAG to explore under the parameters of the law, the handling by the "Second Mile" of complaints and obligations to report, regarding Sandusky’s interactions with children.

"Additionally, given the spending (estimated in excess of $200 million) in the wake of the Sandusky charges, including interactions with the NCAA as may have been revealed through the discovery process surrounding the Corman vs. NCAA lawsuit, it would be reasonable to inquire into the fiduciary decisions of the university's board of trustees, in order that this unfortunate episode may never again repeat itself.

"Most importantly, to vigorously pursue our obligation to protect our children, we must recognize that pedophiles live among us. Let us heed the lessons learned from the tragedy of the Sandusky case to further our inquiry about their horrific predilections, how they hide in plain sight, and how to earlier recognize their behavior so that we may take them off the streets under the rule of law and bring them to justice sooner…not later. We must ask the daunting question: Are our children safer than they were five years ago? If the answer is no, or just as frighteningly, we don't know, then we are ignoring valuable lessons of misplaced trust and lack of accountability. Sadly, that would dangerously deny us all a critical opportunity to protect today’s and tomorrow’s children.

"Please know that I am fully committed to protection of all our children, justice for anyone unfairly maligned and accountability for those who should bear it."

- Joe Peters
A Career Prosecutor for Attorney General
JoePeters.com
On Twitter: @JoePeters4AG
Facebook.com/JoePetersforAG

Official Statement from PA AG Democratic Candidate Stephen Zappala to PS4RS:

Upon taking the office of Attorney General I will immediately do an audit of the Sections and Divisions of the office and determine where we have been succeeding in our protection of the people in our Commonwealth and identify areas that we can improve and strengthen the office. I can assure you that in that assessment, I will be keeping in mind the concerns of PS4RS as I share your concern toward many of these issues.

I will continue to prosecute public crime and corruption perpetrated by those that are in positions of public trust such as Judiciary, state officials and state employees. I find the breach of this trust one of the most egregious to our citizens. I will fortify the Public Corruption Unit of the Attorney General’s Office to actively investigate and enforce the laws of this Commonwealth. I have a long record of prosecuting public servants that have violated their duty and I have never and will never shy away from holding a criminal accountable because of their position, name, political or financial position. I am a prosecutor. I hold those that break the law accountable. Conversely, I advocate fairness and swift prosecution. If there have been incidents of abuse of prosecutorial power, I will thoroughly investigate and ensure that justice is done.

The Charitable Trust and Organizations Section of the Office of Attorney General has one of its primary purposes to “ensure that charitable donations are lawfully raised and expended” by the organizations they are entrusted to. I and the knowledgeable staff within my office will conduct an unbiased and thorough investigation not only into the Second Mile and The Pennsylvania State University Board of Trustees but any charitable organization within my jurisdiction that is mishandling the funds entrusted to it by the citizens of Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is significantly harmed if its citizens do not trust the charitable organizations that serve them and if the charitable organizations are not performing the duties they are sworn to provide. I will do everything within my power as Attorney General to hold the offenders accountable.

The abuse of children. One of the issues that Pennsylvanians face that is most important to me are the incidents of violence and exploitation of children. Upon taking office of District Attorney, 18 years ago, my first actions were to create specialized prosecution units to hold the offenders of child abuse and domestic violence accountable. As the chief law enforcement officer in Pennsylvania, I will work with police departments and DA’s offices to take some of these ideas state wide and help the law enforcement community to improve their resources and response to child abuse and domestic violence.

I will ask for increased prosecution for Child Protection Law mandated reporters that fail to report incidents of child abuse that they are directed by law to report. I will enhance prevention education and efforts by bolstering the existing training programs created by the Attorney Generals Child Predator Unit that help to educate the public about child predators and the tactics they use. The children of Pennsylvania are our future and I will do everything within the power of the office to protect them.

My record in Allegheny County will speak for itself toward many of these issues. I have spent the last 18 years creating powerful and effective methods of protecting the most vulnerable in our society and bringing the most corrupt to justice. I will continue this objective as Attorney General.

Official statement from PA Attorney General Democratic Candidate Josh Shapiro to PS4RS:

“Child abuse, in all its forms, is far too prevalent in our society and must be rooted out. I’m a father of four – I care deeply about protecting the children of Pennsylvania from predators. As Attorney General, I will aggressively prosecute perpetrators of these heinous crimes and work to give victims the support they need to come forward and to heal.

"With regard to Jerry Sandusky and others involved in that scandal, I will follow the evidence wherever it leads, whether that is to Second Mile or any other organization. No one will be off limits, there will be no sacred cows and no powerful interests will be protected. Everyone will be equal in the eyes of the law.

"It is vital that the Attorney General restore that basic sense of fairness to our justice system. Nothing in Pennsylvania should be too big, too untouchable or too out of reach for the law, including Second Mile or anything or anyone associated with the Sandusky scandal. We need to be serious about taking on the powerful interest in Pennsylvania. It’s what I’ve done throughout my entire career and what I’ll do as Attorney General.”

(awaiting statements from Morganelli & Peters)

The 5 Candidates for Attorney General did one hour individual interviews on WHYY RadioTimes with Marty Moss-Coane.

Republican Candidate Joe Peters:

http://whyy.org/cms/radiotimes/2016...for-pennsylvania-attorney-general-joe-peters/

http://www.joepeters.com/

Republican Candidate John Rafferty:

http://www.raffertyforag.com/

Democratic Candidate Steve Zappala:

http://whyy.org/cms/radiotimes/2016...-pennsylvania-attorney-general-steve-zappala/

http://zappalaforpa.com/

Democratic Candidate Josh Shapiro:

http://whyy.org/cms/radiotimes/2016...r-pennsylvania-attorney-general-josh-shapiro/

https://www.joshshapiro.org/

Democratic Candidate John Morganelli:
http://whyy.org/cms/radiotimes/2016...ennsylvania-attorney-general-john-morganelli/

http://www.johnmorganelli.com/

The 3 Democratic Candidates debate on NBC Phila:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...ild-Abuse-Heroin-and-Injustice-374981801.html

Republican Candidates Joe Peters vs John Rafferty debate:

Pa Attorney General Candidates Forum April 13th

Thanks for compiling this stuff W

But, more than that, thank you for the INCREDIBLE amount of work you and MB Schmidt did in making this all happen:

Getting the candidates on record, and bringing more attention to 2nd Mile etc than ANYONE has been able to do in the last 5 years

I know you won't be patting yourselves on the back, but you guys (and others - within PS4RS and as "free-lancers) have done - and continue to do - SO MUCH good

THANK YOU!!!!

Will PS4RS be issuing an official endorsement?
FWIW - I don't think so.

Look over the stuff, but I think the decision - for anyone concerned about the topics that have been so "near and dear" to Penn Staters over the last several years - is pretty clear:

Joe Peters (if you are registered as a "D", you might even consider changing your registration to an "R", just so that you can vote for Peters in the primary)

A quick summary for those who may not have a lot of time to review:

On the R Side:

Peters is running against Rafferty (a poor man's Tom Corbett, if there can be such a thing)
Rafferty has the "party machine" money behind him.....but he would be - IMO - a "scary bad" choice...leave it at that.

Combining what appears to be VERY legitimate interest in addressing the PSU-related issues (2nd Mile, PSU BOT, Child Welfare Agencies, etc)....along with a very strong law enforcement background.....Peters is - IMO - the clear cut best candidate.

On the D Side:

It is Morganelli, Shapiro, and Zappala

Anyone who reads this board has probably read plenty about Zappala's organized crime history, Kids for Cash, etc.
It would be an abomination if he were to win the primary - but he has (as you would expect) a lot of $$$ behind him (from nefarious sources - including our old pal DeNaples)

Shapiro is an empty-suit bloviator....I am sure his eyes are on bigger and better things than the AG office. A classic POLITICIAN, not the type of guy we need in the AG office
He was recently endorsed by Wolf - if that does or doesn't mean anything for you. Wolf didn't have - IMO - a lot of great choices wrt who to endorse on the "D" side.

Morganelli HAS BEEN very outspoken wrt a lot of the things discussed here - - - investigating 2nd Mile, PSU BOT fiduciary failures etc. If you will be voting on the "D" side during the primary - - - he would be the guy (clearly the best of an albeit mediocre bunch, IMO)

Last edited:
I would like to know too. There is a LOT of information here and if Nittany Nation can endorse one candidate, chances of that person getting elected will increase. Plus if the selected candidate wins and knows a big reason was their pledge to look into TSM, there is added pressure to follow-up on that promise or get bounced next election.

I would like to know too. There is a LOT of information here and if Nittany Nation can endorse one candidate, chances of that person getting elected will increase. Plus if the selected candidate wins and knows a big reason was their pledge to look into TSM, there is added pressure to follow-up on that promise or get bounced next election.
I am guessing there will be no "official" endorsement - - - as the folks at PS4RS probably feel it is beyond their mission to do so for this race (actually, my thoughts are that it might be a good idea - but I can see both sides of that issue and, on balance, providing information but NOT making an "official endorsement" may be the proper process)

But, in any event, PETERS is the guy. I can't speak for anyone but myself - - - and hopefully some others who have actually spent time face-to-face with these candidates might chime in - - - but I can't imagine that there is even a real close 2nd wrt who is better equipped for the job AND has the best grasp of the issues that have been front-and-center for Penn Staters.

FWIW these comments are coming from a devout political agnostic, and someone who is clearly neither an "R" or a "D"

Reactions: Mary QBA
FWIW - I don't think so.

Look over the stuff, but I think the decision - for anyone concerned about the topics that have been so "near and dear" to Penn Staters over the last several years - is pretty clear:

Joe Peters (if you are registered as a "D", you might even consider changing your registration to an "R", just so that you can vote for Peters in the primary)

A quick summary for those who may not have a lot of time to review:

On the R Side:

Peters is running against Rafferty (a poor man's Tom Corbett, if there can be such a thing)
Rafferty has the "party machine" money behind him.....but he would be - IMO - a "scary bad" choice...leave it at that.

Combining what appears to be VERY legitimate interest in addressing the PSU-related issues (2nd Mile, PSU BOT, Child Welfare Agencies, etc)....along with a very strong law enforcement background.....Peters is - IMO - the clear cut best candidate.

On the D Side:

It is Morganelli, Shapiro, and Zappala

Anyone who reads this board has probably read plenty about Zappala's organized crime history, Kids for Cash, etc.
It would be an abomination if he were to win the primary - but he has (as you would expect) a lot of $$$ behind him (from nefarious sources - including our old pal DeNaples)

Shapiro is an empty-suit bloviator....I am sure his eyes are on bigger and better things than the AG office. A classic POLITICIAN, not the type of guy we need in the AG office
He was recently endorsed by Wolf - if that does or doesn't mean anything for you. Wolf didn't have - IMO - a lot of great choices wrt who to endorse on the "D" side.

Morganelli HAS BEEN very outspoken wrt a lot of the things discussed here - - - investigating 2nd Mile, PSU BOT fiduciary failures etc. If you will be voting on the "D" side during the primary - - - he would be the guy (clearly the best of an albeit mediocre bunch, IMO)

I agree very much with this assessment. Peters or Morganelli are best choices for each party.

Zapalla should be thanking his lucky stars hes not in jail for him and his brothers involvement in kids for cash and he has the gall to talk about how he is tough on corruption, unless of course if it involves your family....he aslo has been stonewalling on looking into pitt diocese child abuse ala Johnstown DA doing nothing.

That I don't know - I doubt it. I assume they will provide their membership with this sort of information in order to be better informed decision makers going into next Tuesday.

Reactions: Mary QBA
Bumping - the Primary is this upcoming Tuesday.

I can offer up that I have had time to personally speak with 4 of the 5 candidates.

Peters did not wave off my concerns as some sort of "kook". In fact, he was pretty well versed on the issues, many of the names involved and asked about certain dynamics that have been at play over these past 4 years. He shared anecotes handling cases as a Federal Prosecutor. I also think he has his ear to the ground with regards to Penn State. He made the effort to attend Blue & White and speak with attendees, staff, street cops.

Zappala was very polished, his interest was piqued about the money flowing thru certain non-profits and he had some commentary about Corbett's tenure and a few prosecutors in that office. He did not wave off my concerns either. I would suspect those from Allegheny County would have a better handle on his tenure and how that would shape up as AG.

Shapiro is well versed on my personal concerns, as I handed them to him in his office last July when discussing the role of PCCD in dispersing the $48 million from Penn State and CPS in general. I rehashed these same concerns again with Shapiro the other week. He never addressed those concerns since July - so that has me concerned. JMHO - but I think he's reimagining the role of AG's office to suit his needs as a stepping stone for higher office.

Morganelli has been consistent about investigating Second Mile and is extremely critical of Tom Corbett's tenure. He did not wave off my concerns either. He has the longest track record as a prosecutor. He did speak in State College a few weeks back.

Rafferty has been a ghost.

These are just my personal observations. Your mileage may vary.

ut, in any event, PETERS is the guy. I can't speak for anyone but myself - - - and hopefully some others who have actually spent time face-to-face with these candidates might chime in - - - but I can't imagine that there is even a real close 2nd wrt who is better equipped for the job AND has the best grasp of the issues that have been front-and-center for Penn Staters.

Wendy, thank you for doing all this work. Having an Attorney General in office who has expressed willingness to investigate our concerns is going to be really important in the next year, right? Won't any charges have to come through their office?

Reactions: step.eng69
A rather simple explanation of what the Pa AG does.

So decide for yourself who has the required experience, who might be reinventing the job description to fit their own skills and who might be using the office as a stepping stone.

Which one serves us best?

Be careful before you consider a vote for Zappala. He has been entrench as Allegheny County DA doing his father''s bidding (daddy and DeNaples are good pals). The son is a puppet (dumb as a rock) who helped clean up the "kids for cash" for the "family" (that includes the real "family" and his brother who owned the jail facilities that greatly profited from the scandal). I have no doubt he is running to ensure that no one ever looks at 2nd Mile connection to the mob.

Reactions: WeR0206
Be careful before you consider a vote for Zappala. He has been entrench as Allegheny County DA doing his father''s bidding (daddy and DeNaples are good pals). The son is a puppet (dumb as a rock) who helped clean up the "kids for cash" for the "family" (that includes the real "family" and his brother who owned the jail facilities that greatly profited from the scandal). I have no doubt he is running to ensure that no one ever looks at 2nd Mile connection to the mob.

This ^^^^^^^^^^

In addition to his DIRECT connection to kids for cash, Zappala has also been doing nothing about the abuse complaints against the pitt diocese (for a parallel see what was just exposed in the Altoona/Johnstown diocese and DA cover ups etc). He's neck deep in organized crime.

I just find it hard to believe that any GOP AG is going to take a serious look at The Second Mile.

FWIW Republican candidate Peters has stated as such, and has circled back with relevant parties that have continually stated their concerns on Second Mile, certain non-profits and CYS.

Republican candidate Rafferty has not been communicative.

As far as the Democratic candidates go - all three are aware of the unanswered questions relative to Second Mile. Shapiro especially, has a victims advocate from Philadelphia that will be gnawing on him to address issues should he obtain office. Morganelli and Zappala do not seem to hold an affection for the conduct of the OAG under Corbett's era.

We shall see.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
So do we PSU have a preference between Shapiro and Rafferty?

Roque Rocky De La Fuente got 14,200 votes! 14,200! I guess that's the anti-Hillary anti-Bernie vote.

So do we PSU have a preference between Shapiro and Rafferty?

Roque Rocky De La Fuente got 14,200 votes! 14,200! I guess that's the anti-Hillary anti-Bernie vote.

The PA OAG was under GOP control for decades and what did we get? An entire government agency staffed by porn-swapping, scheming, lying turds like Frank Fina.
I don't know what Shapiro will do, but I just don't see any Republican AG doing anything to expose wrongdoing by his predecessors.

I was really looking forward for Peters & Morganelli as the fall candidates...I believe either would have been an ally for the PS4RS issues. Rafferty, a state senator......he will stand by and see the old guard will be isolated from the Sandusky, PSU, TMS, Kane, etc. issues and stuff the oozing slime of corruption being vetted, back into the rabbit hole, never to see the light of day again.

Reactions: WeR0206 and Aoshiro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT